1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden Gate Bridge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, May 26, 2016.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

When I think of the Golden Gate bridge ...

Wilding NSFW ... fun starts at 1:20

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MlEw5xH4OgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

First watch the documentary about all the people who commit suicide by jumping off the bridge.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Rented a Harley on our Honeymoon in SF and rode across the GBB in the early morning fog headed on a day trip up through Nappa. It was a great ride.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

All you need to know about the Golden Gate Bridge

[​IMG]

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's all right. Worth seeing for like 30 minutes. Then move on to the real unique areas of SF.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely worth it. This bridge is one of the icons of America and that alone makes it worth seeing but besides that the location is spectacular. Hike up to the Marin headlands on the north side to get the incredible postcard view along with amazing views of the Pacific. Also there are old WWII pill boxes that were built when the US feared Japan might try to invade the west coast. The cliffs themselves are really beautiful with great rock climbing wildlife and you can hike down to the beach.

[​IMG]

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Definitely worth a visit, though I can't say that I'll make a point to go back after being there twice.

Lots of good eats too...walk along the piers/fisherman's wharf...I've heard Foreign Cinema (restaurant) is incredible, I've never planned ahead enough to make reservations.

If you make a trip out of it spend a couple of days in SF, then go to Napa/Sonoma...on the way stop at Muir Woods if you're into nature/hiking. Beautiful redwood forest.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

make a quick stop at the Palace of the Fine Arts since you're in that area. You can walk on the same ground as the great Nicolas Cage and timeless Sean Connery while they filled a portion of The Rock.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The city of San Francisco is worth visiting.

I wouldn't want to live there for a variety of reasons... however it is a place that is well worth visiting, I actually think it is probably one of the 5 best cities in the USA for vacation.

It is beautiful, and there are a lot of things to do... it is also very old and historic. Well worth driving around/walking around and getting lost.

One word of advice... lots of homeless people, and they do not play around... also a series drug problem. Just be smart and self aware and you will have a great time..... also it is extremely expensive.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

I thought this said golden girls reboot. I am disappoint.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The bridge is nice to see. If you can, it can be fun to walk across it (if you're willing to tolerate the cold wind).

Both sides of the bridge are great if you have a car. The part of SF by the bridge is a really great area. There's Golden Gate Park nearby and the Presidio area is very nice. You can also go to Baker Beach and view the bridge from there as well.

You can also drive across the bridge and hit up Marin County. Go to Sausalito and explore. You can also take the ferry from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito as well. It's a great little town. You can also keep driving past and go to Muir Woods Forest to see Redwood trees if you can't go up north to Redwoods National Park.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A quick warning if driving. All tolls across the bridge are now done electronically and if you don't have an epay device in your car you need to pay online ahead of time.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You can retroactively pay (or at least you used to be able to). I think they give 24 or 48 hours to pay. But the OP should check on that.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I would suggest walking/uber/taxi as much as possible. I drove around on a recent trip there and being from Houston, it was miserable driving there with the inner city traffic, hills, and pedestrians. You'll enjoy it more if you don't have to drive.

Ditto on the expensive. Plan two days there and a couple in wine country and it makes for a great contrast.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I love San Fran, and squeeze in a Giants game as well. Tons to see out there and experience. Well worth a trip, IMO.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll use the word again, spectacular! My guess is that those who grew up around it, or have lived in the area for a very long time might take it for granted, like New Yorkers who have never visited the Statue of Liberty, or when asked what they think about the Empire State Building shrug and reply, "Eh, it's OK." "Ever been to the top?" "Nah. Maybe I'll do that someday."

You often don't see things as special if you grew up around them. I know Houstonians that have never been to the San Jacinto Monument, or walked all over the battleship Texas. (When I was a kid, you could get lost rooting around in that giant ship. My cousin and I did, for a while.)

From a distance, when the bridge is partly shrouded by fog, it looks like a scene from a Noir flick. You expect to see Sam Spade standing by a slim, beautiful chick, lighting her cigarette, while they both stare at it in the evening as the light's fading. I love the city.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

San Francisco is a great city that's absolutely worth visiting. The bridge can be a nice part of the trip.

18. RCPM

RCPM Member

Be sure you take a jacket, or better yet, a coat.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If you're driving, keep going to Stinson Beach. Road down is worth it IMO. Then stop at Tiburon and hang with the beautiful people. There's lots to do on the north side of the bridge.

There used to be a cheap commuter ferry from Tiburon or Sausolito that was good to do and would give good views of the bridge.

And do bring a coat. Especially in summer.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Bridge photos worth it. But there's little else to do there. San Francsico did not wow me like other cities, but you'll get some good bridge photos. Drive Lombard st. Hit the parks and pier.