1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gold Medal Game: USA vs Spain

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Harrisment, Aug 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

[​IMG]
    Congratulations on winning!

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can take your traitor status and go to russia, if the USA winning the gold by 11 points is embarrassing to you why not leave the country?

I heard moscow is nice in the summertime, traitor, rookie.

3. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

lmao... you still don't see it do you? O'Reilly!

4. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I think we are all laughing at your stupid tirade against team USA and your poor attempt at humor.

you do serve a purpose here as the designated rookie.

oh, we suck case we won the gold! waaa waaa

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh - I hate to break it to you but Rudy Fernandez was a first round draft pick who the Rockets were drooling over and who will be in the NBA next season. Marc Gasol was a second rounder a few years ago but easily would have been a lotto pick this year. Add in NBA veterans like Calderon Navarro, Garbajosa as well as Raul Lopez and you've got a pretty deep core of talent - far deeper than most of the opposition in years past.

Arguably Yugoslavia 1996 had as much talent, but then their talent was mostly in the frontcourt with Divac etc where they had to go up against Olajuwon, Robinson, Shaq. Of course the US in 1996 had an extremely easy road to the final, the teams they played in the semis and quarters wouldn't have made it out of group play this year.

Anyway I suggest you stamp your feet and scream lustily in order to make your point heard.

7. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

humor? You argue like Bill OReilly dude, there is no humor in that. It's a fact. Call me rookie all you want, doesn't bother me one bit. I am glad though that you are pissed off and bitter, so you are following me around like a dog. Now go fetch.

8. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Veterans? Calderon didn't play! Except for Gasol, none of the other players would crack an NBA team as a starter and yes not even Rudy. Deep compared to other very lame international team sure, but NBA standard, it is not even close. Put this Spanish team up against any NBA team and I would expect the NBA team to demolish them every time. To win and then hype it up as this huge achievement is just too much.

9. SamFisher

Calderon DID play. Spain lost by 37.

Every time? So you put the Clippers up against Gasol, Gasol, Garbajosa, Fernandez, Calderon, Lopez Navarro & company - under FIBA rules, make them play about 8 times in two weeks - and the Clippers demolish them by 40+ EVERY SINGLE TIME?

no. that's simply wrong. Stop embarrassing yourself.

I'm still waiting for you to identify more "dominating" performances for me in international play other than 1992. 1996 had an argument but as I said previously I don't think their opposition was of the same caliber.

10. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Again, I was talking about games that were relevant.

They should win everytime, dunno how why you would define "demolish" with 40+ points, in my books it means win easily.

I don't have to, because no other international team ever had players of this caliber playing against 17 yr old PGs and bunch of NBA scrubs.

Anyways, this is going no where. You can't change your mind that this win was below my expectations (yes there is such a thing as playing below par/expectations even in a win) and I can't change your mind that it was a great win for this US team. End of story.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Bitter, you're the one who's popping a vein cause the US won the gold medal.
    you're my little rookie dog pooping everywhere and trying to hang with superior posters like samfisher.

keep pooping.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rockza, the only thing going nowhere is your reasoning, which is absent. Team USA put on a dominating Olympic performance by any stretch of a sane imagination. The unexpected closeness of the gold medal game doesn't diminish that one iota. I know you disagree but that's fine. Go back to your planet while the rest of us will stay on Earth and remain proud of our team's performance.

Honestly, I couldn't have written a better script. In the first 7 games (which included, Spain, Greece and Argentina), Team USA won by an average of 30 points! Then in the gold medal finale, our boys got out of kilter on defense and the opponent played offense out of their minds. It was a 2 point game with 7 minutes left so we got the "test" everybody wanted. How did they respond? With flying colors! No nervous jitters and turnovers, just cold-blooded, clutch shooting. I am glad Spain played so well and kept hitting shots instead of folding up. The almost perfect storm happened and Team USA survived it. Watching how much they appreciated the win was the cherry on top.

13. Pete the Cheat

give Rockza a break, at least he made this thread entertaining, even if he has no clue what he's talking about...

14. SamFisher

Like I said, stop embarrassing yourself. If the US had lost or had it even been close, guys like you would be claiming that it was the end of the world. Did you even watch that game? Please tell me that the players weren't playing hard.

Also please tell me how Calderon could have had a better game than Navarro and Fernandez did yesterday - they only combined for 40 points.

Then you simply haven't been paying much attention.

Many people tend to overrate european basketball but if you feel a team of Chris Kaman-Marcus Camby-Baron Davis-Cuttino Mobley-Tim Thomas is going to be able to play FIBA rules, with FIBA officials against top national teams for two weeks and demolish every team by 40 points then you really don't know much about hte way the games are played.

You keep harpign on Rubio. Did you watch the game my friend? Rubio started but didn't play that much of a role, the offense ran through Navarro and soon-to-be NBA player Fernandez who put up 40 combined. I'm pretty sure there's about 30 NBA GM's who would laugh you out of town though for your assessment of Spain as all scrubs.

Anyway, You don't have to - because I know you can't. The depth of experience and talent on the international teams in 2004 and 2008 makes the teams from previous eras pale in comparison.

As I've said before, and as you're unable to refute, the only two performances in recent memory that were even comparable in previous Olympics were in 1992 and 1996, from loaded, all-time great teams playing against much weaker fields. This is a fact, kid.

Because you lack basic knowledge and facilities to have a discussion about it, yeah it's a trainwreck my young friend.

15. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

lol when you are trying insult at least be original. Now go fetch.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

pfft. you're chasing your own tail on this one Scooby Doo.

17. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

First let me say what the f are you arguing about. My point is the win is a disappointed because we are way more talented than this. Unless you are talking out of your as s that this spanish team is close to the talent our team has (which you are hinting in your post), you are out of your mind.

huh? Whoever said the players didn't try??

Wait, you are the one hyping Calderon. I merely pointed out he didn't even play. Geez...

hmm where the f are you coming up with 40 points? Clippers should win against this Spanish team easily! Seriously since when the f FIBA rules became that big an issue?? It wasn't when we were beating the crap out of everyone. Lame excuses

First, Rubio played enough minutes and he beat Kidd and Williams off the dribble couple of times. Yes Navarro did the major lifting and was probably creating the most problems. Anyways guess what he was last year? Yes my old friend, an NBA scrub. Oh wait, where were your 30 GMs when Navarro was sitting on the bench and then left for Europe this year? And you won't call Mark Gasol, Rubio and other players - NBA scrubs, you serious?

No one is denying that, but this team should not have been playing this close to the Spain team.

Nope, you dont get it son. I for one expected them to blow Spain out because of how well they played throughout the tournament, but to play close against teams like Argentina and Spain who are no where close to them in talent left a bad taste in my mouth. Don't like it? Deal the f with it.

18. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Go fetch dude. Stop following me around like a dog.

19. SamFisher

I am - it's called a prescription of whoopass, and it is being administered to you. Your post is too long to bother with, but this gem deserves attention:
    It's obvious to even a casual fan that several things are strikingly different - a wider lane to neutralize post play, a shorter three-point line to allow teams that get behind to shoot themselves back in it - you shine a spotlight on your own ignorance when you are purposefully oblivious here.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

run away deer in the headlights!