1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Rome - recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by subtomic, Mar 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm headed to Rome next Wednesday and will have about 3.5 days to entertain myself before work responsibilities kick in. I've booked my hotel already and plan to see the main attractions (Vatican, Ancient Rome sites, trevi fountainLa ribollita Toscana). So I'm looking for suggestions on some other things to check out - great restaurants, cool artisan stores/workshops, and anything off the beaten path as I only have so much patience for huge tourist crowds (and they will be huge given the proximity to Easter). Just a note - I was in Florence last month and got my fill of Rennaissance art so not I'm not really up for too much more of that.

I'm also going to head down to Naples for a couple days after work stuff wraps up, so looking for similar suggestions. Obviously will try to see Herculaneum and Pompeii while I'm there.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Rome will suffer.

[​IMG](RIP)

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Definitely check out the restaurants in Rome, tripadvisor has some good recommendations for not so toursity stuff. If you're going to the vatican, I suggest buying the queue-jumping pass, you can only prebook it online, and well worth it. Last time I went, we queued up for over 3 hours.

unfortunately, I don't think you'll enjoy the Vatican very much. It's a wonderous place, but so many god damn people, you are basically pushed through the exhibits by the crowd. Go early, and go up to the dome of St Peter's basilica, that's a great view too.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's a great time of year to go, typically -- shouldn't be too hot at all.

My one trip to Rome, I just loved walking all over the place, especially along the Tiber river.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

TAKE ME!!! I'd just drink a few whiskeys and take a couple of Xanax so I could sleep on that loooong flight.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do as they do.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

OP, I know you said that you'd possibly had your fill of art in Florence, but if you have the chance, go see Michelangelo's Moses at San Pietro in Vincoli, what's considered a "minor" basilica in Rome. It's beautiful inside, but what you're there for is to see the Moses. Definitely one of the most stunning sculptures I've seen. The veins in Moses' arms look like they have blood coursing through them. Freaky!

[​IMG]

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ this :eek:

ALSO:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/5HI_xFQWiYU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/5HI_xFQWiYU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Bone Church:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html

If you will be there on a Wednesday, you could go see the Pope's weekly address in Vatican Square. If you are Catholic, send me a PM and I will tell you how you may be able to get seating for his Address.

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

(1) Eat lots of pizza
    (2) Intercept cocaine entering the Vatican
    (3) Take pictures of stuff

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Been there as a kid. Found it pretty creepy, to be honest...

No special recommendations...just soak up the atmosphere...and beware of pickpockets :). I like the Cavalieri hotel, although it's a bit outside. Nice lounge with good views of Rome.

14. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I recommend you take me with you! :p

15. calcium

calcium Member