1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Philly, advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mikeylu, Jun 15, 2009.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Dalessandro's is actually one of my favorites. That said, the best are still from the street carts.

Pat's, by the way, is right by Geno's on 9th and the intersection of Wharton and Passyunk.

In Chinatown, Vietnam and Vietnam Palace across the street (11th street) are pretty good. Sang Kee Peking Duck (9th off Vine) is one of my favorites

2. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Pats and Genos are a block away from each other so you can actually eat at both places. Just split a cheesesteak at each place with someone. And make sure you get the Cheeeeeze Whiz instead of sliced cheese as others have mentioned. The cheesesteak will be dry if you dont get the Cheeeeze Whiz.

I wouldn't eat sushi in Philly. Philly (center city) was terrible for Japanese and Korean imo, especially compared to NYC. There isn't a significant Korean or Japanese population to support an authentic restaurant.

Reading Terminal Market on a Saturday is awesome. Forget all the Asian food that they serve there. You can get Asian food anywhere. You will want to eat food that you can't back in Texas. Try the Amish brunch counter place. They make awesome brunch but it gets super packed by 11AM. They also serve raw milk if you want to see what it tastes like. The roast pork sandwich at Tommy DiNic's is also very good and a local food favorite.

3. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

Is philly known for their hotdogs?

Anything else they are known for besides beer and cheesesteak?

oh and all that historic stuff

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Nah, not really.

Street food wise, make sure you pick up a soft pretzel.

One place that I know a lot of people visiting the city get a kick out of is the Franklin Fountain. It's an old fashioned soda fountain by Penn's Landing in Olde City. Very cool little place. Speaking of ice cream places, if you like Gelato you should stop at a Capogiro.

Also, I know a lot of people get hooked on Bassett's Ice Cream after they've tried it for the first time. It's in Reading Terminal.

5. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

hey guys i'm in Philly now. Already went to genos and pats yumm. Also went down to rittenhouse square as well as south st between 2nd and 8th. Too bad the weather is nasty now. Oh and the parking is pretty brutal as well. Tomorrows agenda: liberty bell, independence hall, brunch, and some art museums. So far the trip is good despite the weather. Oh will also try to hit up monks as well

6. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I like Philly cause the people are actually pretty friendly (despite their sports booing) and I am amused when they say "yous guys". (I must've heard this from half the Philadelphians I met over the 4 days I was there)