1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Going Green] Evidently 200 Countries Agree with Importance of Climate Issues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roxxfan, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dmoneybangbang

Well considering how governments operate and the lack of global governing body with real teeth, I'm not sure what you were expecting?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "means much" or what you're expectations were. I see it as more steps in the right right direction.

....as individual nations? Most developed nations already have plans in place, it seems a one of the topics was on climate finance for developing countries. That was a big topic if you care to research it.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/India?src=hash">#India</a> to push ahead with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/coal?src=hash">#coal</a> plans after Paris climate deal <a href="https://t.co/eEGhq6APQo">https://t.co/eEGhq6APQo</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ParisAgreement?src=hash">#ParisAgreement</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/energy?src=hash">#energy</a> <a href="https://t.co/C36UuWygvv">pic.twitter.com/C36UuWygvv</a></p>&mdash; Megan Rowling (@meganrowling) <a href="https://twitter.com/meganrowling/status/676376551714398208">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This agreement is certainly success, although a limited one. If the first step is admitting you have a problem then bringing India and PRC to the table is a very positive step. As I've said before the PRC has for years been accepting that man made Climate Change is real even while they refused to agree to do much policy wise about it. There willingness to even agree to something is a step in the right direction.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also skimming this thread again reminds me of how short sighted and partisan this issue has become. Developing new technologies and best practices and getting those out to new markets should be a conservative issue. Moving away from fossil fuels that put money in the pockets of countries and groups that are opposed to us should be a conservative issue.

Frankly it seems like most of the opposition to this issue seems more about sticking it to the lefties than anything else.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. When the science behind climate change is undisputed in so many other places on earth, it's embarrassing how hopelessly partisan the subject is in America.

I'm always reminded of this cartoon:

[​IMG]

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

Don't forget that the US was the first country to reach the Kyoto protocol goals, despite never even signing it (and taking ridiculous amounts of schit from our friends in Europe and the lefties in the US). Innovation. Embrace it.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

why is climate change bad? i mean let's go down the list of climate change impact and discuss.

1) higher temps - an issue but it's not something new. humans have migrated to and from habitable regions for millennia. also, what was once uninhabitable is now habitable thanks to technology. you can snow ski in dubai for god sakes!!! we're a climate controlled species now.

2) sea level, weather, land changes - again, not a new issue. weather hasn't been a real issue for humans(humanity) in awhile. also, technology has advanced to the point where i'm certain that we'll be able to control weather in the near future. also, humans have been moving since day 1 due to weather, sea level, etc... go to any ancient land, middle east, egypt, india, mexico, etc... and you fill find giant ghost cities. we're talking millions of people abandoning cities and moving elsewhere. look underwater too. huge underwater cities litter the planet. look at recent planned cities like las vegas, brasila, auroville, naya raipur, masdar city, a dozen or so chinese cities, etc... too many to list. all of these are new planned, engineered, places to live. designed to be clean and efficient, especially the newer planned cities. many of these created before any talk of climate change. as a side note, for those folks that believe in the bible, you could argue the weather today is much better than bible times before over population and the industrial revolution. our weather is sweet compared to judgment, smiting, global floods, global droughts, raining of hailstones, fire, and brimstone LOL.

3) wildlife - okay this one is sad but 99.9999% (not kidding with the .9999 go look it up) of all animals that ever existed are already extinct!!! and WE had nothing to do with it!!!

4) economy - this one is tricky because you could argue the economy would grow with this climate disaster. but perhaps instead of climate change we should call it climate stimulus.

so i ask again, is climate change really a bad thing that we need to stop? why not just let the climate change and we'll deal with it like we do everything else until we can't.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

:eek: :eek: If only so.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think we can thank Osama and Bush. Thanks Osama and Bush for partnering up on climate change! Decisive Leadership!

11. ipaman

that's :eek: the face i make when i think of the pretentious humans thinking they can break or fix a planet. we're one space pebble away from total annihilation or one nasty earth pimple popping and bringing in volcano winter. i would love if we "saved" the planet and then yellowstone decides to say fack you!!!

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Reading this reminds me that solar energy technologies have been around for over 100 hundred years, and nuclear technology has been around for over 60 years. It also reminds me that a former president and nuclear engineer blocked US efforts to recycle nuclear fuel.

You want to talk about short sighted - nobody at the Paris event is actually doing any physical work to make their bull**** dreams come true.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I doubt that one of the poorest and dirtiest countries on earth, where 500 million people poop in the open, where the number one killer among toddlers is diarrhea, where entire cities of millions of people come to a grinding halt due to rain, and where heat waves kill thousands annually, really gives a **** about a bunch of old farts standing next to each other, raising their hands held together.

Really just a waste of money for diplomatic vacations to a touristy city during the winter.

14. ipaman

great point. millions of hungry, sick, people all around the world will be damn happy that we saved the polar bears. hey maybe they can eat the polar bears!!!

closer to home, spending trillions trying to fix climate change (which is impossible) and we can't even pay to fix the ****ty roads in houston.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bangladesh scraps a tremendous amount of ships because of its low coastline. When they stop scraping the old ships and start filling them to the brim with millions of refugees and sending them off around the world we'll start caring.

16. dmoneybangbang

And how much has solar has been installed and is up and running in the last 10 years compared with the last 100 years. Context can be a cruel mistress.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You claim human can control weather (i'm sure you meant climate) in the near future but it's pretentious to think they can break or fix a planet?

Human is not going to control climate or even weather any time soon. We can absolutely affect climate and weather, but no, we have no ability to control it.

Human can make this planet quite inhabitant tomorrow. Just detonate every single nuclear bombs around the globe.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If Modi, an elected leader of one of the fastest, if not fastest growing developing country in the world think that it's a waste of money to directly engage with all major world leaders on a serious topic as climate change, he would be an idiot.

That's the level of thinking is worthy of climate denier.

19. dmoneybangbang

And did our economy tank because of the Kyoto protocol? Has our energy costs skyrocketed?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's become more of a tax issue than an environmental one that's why. The truth was long lost.