1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going coast to coast via I-40

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by olliez, May 4, 2009.

1. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Hi all, I am relocating from California to N Carolina, it will be my first c-2-c drive, what time frame should I expect ? It's 2800 miles, the road seems fairly straight, would 3 days be enough, or longer ?

Thanks in advance.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you should just walk homie

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3A-unBigvoY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3A-unBigvoY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you drive 70 MPH the whole way and stop for food/gas/bathroom occasionally, you'll probably average 60-65 MPH for the trip. Using 60 MPH, it will take you 45+ hours or so to get there. It will depend upon you as to how many days are enough.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well. apparently it only takes 4 minutes.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, it really depends on how many hours a day you are willing to drive. If you can stand to be behind the wheel for 15+ hours a day then you could get there in 3. 11-12 hours a day would get you there in 4 days and 9-10 hours a day would get you there in 5.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hire movers and fly. ;)

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, i wouldn't recommend driving through arkansas either. :p

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I long for the days when I can just drive through Arkansas. Since my mother and her side of the family all lives in various places around the state, I always have to stop and visit.

10. Fatty FatBastard

Dude, this is a once in a lifetime thing. If you're not going to just hire movers and fly, make a vacation out of it.

Why not go via Route 66, for example?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was really cool.

DD

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Personally, if I were doing the drive, I'd break it up into:
    (LA)-->Albuquerque (11 hr)
    Alb-->Memphis (14 hr)
    TN-->(Raleigh) (11 hr)

nothing too ridiculous, especially if you have someone that can trade off with you. A lot of times, it's worth buying someone a 1-way ticket so they can join.

Evan

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Drive 17 hours the first day since you'll have plenty of rest.

Always drive the largest leg on the first day.

I've driven over 1000 miles in a day before.

It was fun.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I've driven 1000+ a number of times (Twin Cities to/from either Tyler or Houston) and I prefer that to splitting it up over 2 days.

15. mrpaige

By going I-40, he essentially is going via Route 66, at least until he gets to OKC.

16. Fatty FatBastard

Yes, but Route 66 is much more historic and visually pleasing. The Interstate is faceless. I know if I was doing this, that would be what I'd do.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've driven from Jacksonville, FL to Katy, TX in 17 hours and from Katy to Anaheim, CA in about 20 in separate occasions. That's traveling with a family of four, 2 kids (4 and 2 first time, 7 and 4 the next time), stopping for "potty" breaks, wife and husband nagging each other about how little intimacy we have, blaming each other for not bringing something along the trip, etc., etc. Expect to travel about 2 days. Drive as long as you can the first day, rest and sleep and start again and you won't get to your destination tired. :eek: Try to alternate driving so you both get sleeping breaks and you can keep going without stopping the 2nd day.

EDIT: I didn't read you would drive by yourself so... I guess a couple pit stops to sleep will help without an alternate driver. :cool:

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buy some five hour energy, a case of Monster drinks and keep the left door shut(power naps in the rest areas). 2.5 days max. :cool:

19. mrpaige

The Interstate is Route 66 between the cities and towns, and certainly judging by what Historic Route 66 looks like through Amarillo now, the only difference is the McDonald's on I-40 is actually a few years older.

But I may be biased by having to drive from Dallas to Amarillo on US287 about a million times. Seeing all those dying towns is a bit depressing and there's very little historic left.

20. Fatty FatBastard

All the more reason to see it before it vanishes forever.

Here's a site about it.

http://www.historic66.com/photo/

The slideshow was entertaining.