1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

God Gets Too Much Credit?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Your house must've just gotten gerry-mandered into a new congressional district, cuz you're about to get repped.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

To clarify, I wasn't referring to charitable work when I said accomplishments. I would consider charitable work to be "effort", and I see nothing wrong or morally off balance with wanting to be properly acknowledged for those efforts either verbally or through a simple gesture of some kind. That doesn't mean money, gifts, or favors of any kind (which you seem to be insinuating with your "wrong reasons" bull$hit).

Invoking a god creates a sense that the charitable work was going to happen regardless because it was an order carried down from on high somewhere. It devalues selfless actions, in my opinion.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

God works in mysterious ways.

4. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

"Every faculty you have, your power of thinking or of moving your limbs from moment to moment, is given to you by God." -C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity

I'm sure the lady did thank the kids at some point during the process, but she knows that God had a plan for the kids to come help her. It is God who creates and puts forth every human action. No matter how hard we may try to understand God, it is impossible. He is all knowing and all powerful and is always in our lives whether we acknowledge Him or not. Even during tough times, He is testing our faith and molding us to be stronger people. In the good times and the bad, God should always be the first and foremost to be acknowledged.

"2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. "

-James 1:2-6

5. devilsdandruff

yep. God is just fking with her.
    send a hurricane and destroy her house then send a troop to fix her roof.