1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

God Gets Too Much Credit?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RainbowPoop

RainbowPoop Rookie

Jesus was a carpenter...

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

So let me get it straight... you think that the teens aren't getting their "due respect" because she threw this God fellow a little shout out? Seems we're a little bit worked up that she's, what, thanking God and considers their charity to be providence (I would think this would be seen as the ultimate in gratitude coming from someone of faith)? I'm pretty sure she was grateful for the teens' efforts, and that is how she was expressing it. I don't think she'd thank God if she was like pissed at their shoddy craftsmanship or something. I don't think she was trying to say "The teens are alright, but God did all the heavy lifting."

Move along. Nothing to see here.

3. cavevato

cavevato Member

Well....Why did they choose her? Huh? Huh?

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I just try to be tolerant of people that have different beliefs than me.

If someone called my work a gift from a god, I wouldn't be offended.

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

It sounds like bad editing to me. I find it hard to believe she did not thank the teens. That should have been shown as well. Then your whole point is moot.

6. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

You could be right. But it's what happened, she never thanked the teens on camera, but thanked God. She could have said something like, "if it wasn't for them, my roof would still be leaking..."

7. Behad

You don't know that. She may have thanked them repeatedly, on camera. She may be at home right now, pissed off because her air time was cut so badly.

8. Tree-Mac

Yes, she was trying to say God did the heavy lifting. By saying God sent them instead of saying they were good teens with good hearts are totally different. One is to thank God and the other is to thank the teens. But what really happened was that the teens who fixed her roof, not God.

That's my point. I don't want any religious debate.

9. Tree-Mac

You don't know that either. I'm going by what's on camera. Right when she was asked the question and that was her response. And she's only one instance. I've seen other instances in real life where people thank God for things done by humans.

10. Tree-Mac

If she said that on camera, she could say that off camera. So what if one of the teens was a devoted Hindu? Or what if a Hindu told a bunch of Christian teens that she thinks they are a gift from Brahma? I think sometimes it makes more sense to not thank God for everything but actually thank the person(s) directly.

11. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

did she specify the Christian god?

12. Tree-Mac

Good point, she did not. But likely a Christian. Because Muslims would say Allah, Hindus would say one of their many gods, Buddhists would say Buddha...

13. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

You started a thread without knowing exactly what went on, what exactly she said and really are going by what the news channel showed. :rolleyes: :eek:
    Please stay away from FOX News.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Personally, I wouldn't appreciate a comment like that. As someone who rejects the belief in any god, that is as good as telling me that the Tooth Fairy was responsible for my good deed. Sure, the comment might be well intended, but it's also presumptuous.

That said, I wouldn't make a huge stink about it. Just wouldn't care much for it.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So your idea of respecting other people's faith is for everyone to just keep their faith quiet and pretend it doesn't exist in public?

She believes in God. She has faith. She saw the work of these kids as a blessing from God. If those kids are personally so offended by a Christian thanking God they should make sure to ask anyone they are going to help if they are Christian before hand. :rolleyes:

Why do I get the feeling that the people who did the charity work aren't bothered at all by this, enjoyed helping the woman, felt very appreciated and will do something great for someone else in the future and would lol that some bloke on the internet is up in arms because the person they helped thanked God.

2 people like this.
  16. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Repped.

17. Behad

Way to go keeping religion out of it. :rolleyes:

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would it really bother you? I mean really?

If I did something for a Muslim man and he considered it a blessing from Allah I would take the compliment and move along.

Take the compliment for what it is.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yes, it would bother me to some extent. You'll have to pardon me for wanting full credit for my efforts and accomplishments.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

God isn't a cosmic slot machine or a genie in a lamp.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9Sygq9mr8A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9Sygq9mr8A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>