1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GM's] Weis guy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rememberPete, Jul 14, 2005.

1. rememberPete

rememberPete Contributing Member

"The Stars also announced on Thursday that they have hired John Weisbrod and Shane Churla to the club's scouting department.

Weisbrod resigned as general manager of the NBA's Orlando Magic on May 23 to pursue an opportunity in hockey.

A former NHL player and AHL executive, Weisbrod left the Magic after just over a year as GM and orchestrated the seven-player trade that sent Tracy McGrady to Houston for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ticketpricesslashed&prov=st&type=lgns

Did anybody else see this coming? :rolleyes: Looks like this joker is back in the sport where he "belongs."

Let us all thank the hockey gods for that one fateful year he spent in Orlando that landed us "Tracy with a facey" McGrady. :D

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This should be in the Dish. Glad to see Weisdork has been brought down a notch or two.

3. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

What a face!!! don't get me wrong.......I will always love Franchise and Cat, but this trade has to go down as one of the steals of the century

4. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Weishole's 1 year in the NBA will always be remembered by the Magic fans as "the year that will live in infamy"

What an idiot!

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Why are you dissing Weis? We should be THANKING him for trading Tmac for SF. Tmac is 5x better than SF.

THANK YOU WEIS, I CAN WATCH THE ROCKETS PLAY BASKETBALL AGAIN!!

6. Nero

Nero Member

Well now, cut the guy a LITTLE bit of slack.. after all, TMac was gonna walk if he wasn't traded.. at least they got SF (for a little while longer anyway) and Cato out of it..

Just because they guy was such a turd to TMac as to make him want to leave, well, ok, blame the guy.. ;)

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

So the NHL lockout was a good thing for us.

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

LOL.....its freakb comical man. Everytime I think about what he did and how he handled the situation...it cracks me up.

9. rememberPete

rememberPete Contributing Member

Yes, the transition from NBA GM to NHL Assistant scout has got to be one of the strangest in the sports world. Can you see CD scouring the plains of Siberia looking for the next Pavel Bure? (What, too obscure?)

On a side note, now that he works for the Stars, our "hometown" Minnesota Wild should have an easier road to the Western conference finals. ;)

The NHL... It's the place to play, eh?

10. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

he could go down as the worse GM in the history of basketball, and that's only after one year. nothing against steve or cuttino because i love both those guys, but you can under no circumstance trade a tracy mcgrady and NOT get a tracy mcgrady type of player back.... but hey, i'm glad he was a gm for at least one year, he got us what could end up being one of the franchise's and league's greatest players of all time.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Weisbrod and Dallas....this is like a marriage made in heaven. The two totally deserve one another.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know about that, it's not like he managed to trade the best center in the league and not get an All Star in return. Not like his team went from the Finals to the lottery, it just went from the worst team in the NBA to a bad team.

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

from JumpMan:
    Good point, but I have to say that the Lakers knew Kobe and Shaq couldn't exist and honestly the amount of money Shaq wants now is a very risky proposition IMHO. It's not so much his age, but Shaq is so huge that the wear and tear on his body that he is not indicative of someone his age, and it shows more and more every year. I think Miami is going to make a $60 mil. mistake gambling on getting a ring that will turn out to haunt them for a couple of years at least.

On a superstar level all of the worst trades I can think of were forced by the superstar. Milwaukee trading Jabbar instead of appeasing him may have been the worst, but it's easy to see how Jabbar may have really started freaking the management out too.

14. AlexVanderpool

The NHL lockout was a good thing no matter what!!! Too bad it is over.

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both the Magic and Lakers had to trade those two guys, the thing that makes Mitch Kupchak look dumber than even Weisbrod is what he got in return, not even an All Star, plue a horrible contract. The Magic might of had a better All Star than Francis offered to them, but he was still an All Star, and Mobley and Cato are good players without bad contracts. Then you consider the bottom line, the Lakers are a joke a year after winning the West, the Magic are a bad team a year after being the worst team in the league, the Heat were a healthy Wade away from winning the East, and the Rockets improved by 7 games, 5 regular season and 2 playoff.

Centers have historically been involved in lopsided deals, Bill Russell was traded for Ed Macauley, Wilt from the Warriors to the Sixers, Jabbar, Moses Malone twice, Shaq, Mutombo for Piakowski. :D Hakeem was almost traded too.

Oh yeah, moral to all of that... Don't trade YAO!

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I still buy the Lakers were built for Shaq and his contract theory. I wouldn't think the trade was that lopsided if Grant's contract wasn't so obscene, but Kupchak might bring the Lakers to playoff contention next season, so he isn't as bad as a Jerry Krause.

17. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Pavel Bure is not from Siberia.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Weisbrod returns to his hockey roots

The former Magic general manager is hired as a scout for the NHL's Dallas Stars.

By Brian Schmitz
    Sentinel Staff Writer

July 15, 2005

When John Weisbrod surprisingly resigned as general manager of the Orlando Magic in late May, he said he planned on returning to his roots: hockey.

On Thursday, he did just that. The Dallas Stars announced Weisbrod had been hired as a scout and will be based in New England.

"I'm very excited for this opportunity with the Stars," Weisbrod said in a press release on DallasStars.com. "Hockey is in my blood, and it's what I love to do. It will be great to get back into the rink and have the opportunity to be around the sport again."

Sources told the Sentinel in June that Weisbrod would be appointed general manager of an unidentified NHL team.

Weisbrod never disputed the report. A friend of Weisbrod's said recently he "didn't think the GM job worked out" for Weisbrod.

Weisbrod interviewed with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for their GM position. The Ducks hired veteran league executive Brian Burke.

"The NHL lockout is over, and John is back in the league. That's good," Magic President Bob Vander Weide said.

His sudden, controversial departure came after his first season as general manager of the Magic -- and a day before the club announced the hiring of Brian Hill as its head coach.

Weisbrod denied his role as GM had changed or that his power had been usurped. He said he simply desired to return to hockey and said he would trade "three NBA titles for one Stanley Cup."

He played collegiate hockey at Harvard and in the minor leagues. He was also an executive in the minors, including a stint as GM of the Orlando Solar Bears. His promotion to GM of the Magic raised eyebrows.

"The hockey guy" immediately led a makeover of the Magic, trading Tracy McGrady in a multi-player deal with the Houston Rockets.

The Magic appointed Otis Smith and Dave Twardzik as assistant GMs to replace Weisbrod.

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.LINK

19. a-rock

a-rock Member

nhl season was locked?

20. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

reading that article faos posted, it just sounds like weisbrod is the type of loser kid that gets beaten up by all the other kids in the neighbourhood and he still raises his hands up in the air laughing 'haha i wanted you guys to do that. now your hands are tired. haha'.

he couldnt win an NBA title in a million lifetimes.