1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glue Men: Parsons and Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Defensive stopper.

2. VBG

VBG Member

I like Parsons offense. It's a perfect foil to what Kevin Martin does and it keeps the defense on their toes. Martin is looking for the 3 and the defense to overcommit to stopping the 3 so he can get into the lane.

Parsons is looking for the drive and unless the defense is completely focused on the drive, he won't shoot the outside shot.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The numbers support what I see. Parsons has ridiculously quick feet for a guy 6'10" tall and he has great court awareness. Its also amazing how bad his offense is considering his physical talents.

BTW, where do you get these numbers from?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://mysynergysports.com/

The free demo will provide all stats for the current season. Plus, for each stat, you can seeing 3 corresponding video clips.

The paid version gives you stats for last 3 seasons and access to video for every play.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That sounds very impressive considering Parsons offense is about 0.81 points per play (Draftexpress.com)

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jason Friedman compares Parsons to the former No Stats All-star in his latest game recap.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/recap_rockets_vs_grizzlies__2012_02_20.html

[rquoter]

The similarities are downright eerie. To be sure, Parsons and Battier are not clones, but the resemblance grows more striking by the game. It’s a kinship seen clearest in Parsons’ rapid ascension to the role of the Rockets’ designated wing stopper; a position in which the rookie takes pride and, more importantly, delivers results. His defense against Rudy Gay Monday night was magnificent, as was his role in the Rockets’ stifling fourth quarter defense which allowed Houston to grind out a much-needed 97-93 win over the Grizzlies.

The Battier-esque numbers from Parsons’ night: Gay needed 22 shots to get his 23 points as he was frequently forced to settle for perimeter jumpers with Parsons and the rest of the Rockets’ defenders doing well to limit his penetration. Along the way, the University of Florida product chipped in with 9 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and a block – and only one turnover – during 38 minutes of action.

Then there are the Battier-esque numbers from Parsons’ season so far (traditional box score version): he’s second on the team in total steals (39) and third in total blocks (17). Dig deeper and you’ll find stats like these: According to 82games.com, when Parsons defends small forwards his opponents’ Player Efficiency Rating is 13.1 (15 is what an average player would produce). Somewhat surprisingly, when Parsons slides over to the four the results get even better with his counterparts’ PER plummeting to 12.2 with an effective field goal percentage of .380.

Then, of course, there’s perhaps the most Battier statistic of them all: With Parsons in the starting lineup, the Rockets are 17-9.

None of this is by accident – Parsons admits that the Rockets coaches bring up Battier to him all the time and that he’s studied plenty of film in an effort to pick up anything he can from the way Battier approached the game. What it is, however, is amazing, especially when taking into consideration that this is a second round pick who was thrust into Houston’s starting lineup a mere eight games into the season after not having had the benefit of summer league, training camp or preseason. But by being a student of the game he has managed to make the most of his physical gifts, intelligence and skill set to establish himself as a valuable piece of the Rockets’ puzzle. Sound familiar?

“When I watch film with (Rockets assistant coach) Brett Gunning he always compares me to (Battier),” says Parsons. “He plays hard, plays good defense, can play multiple positions and I’ve watched film on him the way he plays, the way he moves, the way he tries to take away angles. H’s a great player and defender and they talk about him here all the time.”

Again, it’s worth repeating that for all the similarities, Parsons and Battier are not mirror images. The rookie still has work to do to hone his shooting stroke from that corner trey spot and the wings, and it goes without saying that 33 games of playing experience pales in comparison to the well-respected resume of someone who’s currently in his 11th year in the league. Then again, Battier never had Parsons’ ability to create off the dribble the way Parsons can, either.

But still, the resemblance is undeniable. It’s there in the way you hear the coaches rave about Parsons being the team-leader in terms of fewest defensive breakdowns. It’s there in his defensive versatility and his willingness to take on the challenge of defending the opponent’s best wing player, be it Rudy Gay, Kevin Durant or Monta Ellis. It’s there in the way he’s almost always in the right spots and always making the hustle plays. It’s even there in the fact that, despite not being a scoring machine, Parsons’ presence just seems to make the team’s offense flow a bit smoother and the ball movement a bit crisper.

[/rquoter]

Let it be known that I pointed out the Battier similarities way back at the beginning of the year. :)

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How in the world is Morris ever going to get any minutes with this comparison?

8. valorita

valorita Member

Parsons is the black Battier.

on a sidenote, it seems like Scola is really taking him under his wing. i hear that they often hang out off the court too. it's nice that the veteran is trying to help the rook come along.

1 person likes this.
  9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

All Parsons needs to do is develop a corner 3 and study his defensive assignment(s) for 3 hours straight prior to games and we're set!

10. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I agree with the op, you would think patterson cant dunk with how he always just lays the ball up instead of playing strong and dunking it.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Let it be known that the similarities have been pointed out by many and is an easy comparison. Nonetheless you do provide quite a bit to the forums and i give u credit for ur contributions.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

if parsons could develope a outside shot, improve his free-throw shooting(ALOT),continue with his defensive progression and keep giving the effort both on and off the court, i believe he could be a better player than battier was(no dis to battier)... maybe not an all-star but definatly a solid starter for years to come...

13. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Rockets have lots of glue men

but no stars

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he reminds me a bit of ariza, except getting paid 15% of him.

Good in the passing lanes, decent man on man defender, good off the ball movement, absolutely atrocious jump shot.

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What do you mean, Patterson has a great mid range shot.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Parsons seems to have a good shooting motion. If he develops his shot the way Lowry did, he'll be playing for at least a decade in the NBA. And probably will be a starter here unless Morris becomes a beast.

Patterson I'm still wondering about. He just doesn't play enough inside for my liking. Right now his ceiling seems like a Horace Grant type. But if he develop some game inside the paint, he can be a 20-10 guy.