1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glover Quinn- surprised?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketshopeful, Dec 5, 2011.

1. rocketshopeful

haven't seen much discussion around him, but I think he is playing at an all-pro level. Curious to see what others think. I liked his play prior to this season too, but didn't think he was this good.

I have him as a top 5-10 SS. Homer?

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has definitely done well in the transition. One thing I was pleasantly surprised at was his hard hitting from the safety position. I don't remember that from him at CB, but maybe he just never really had the opportunity. He's provided as much wallop this year at safety as Bernard Pollard did during his pro bowl season AND he's given us good coverage as well.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

All-Pro is pushing it.

He has been playing well though. Manning being out there helped Quinn a whole lot.

4. rocketshopeful

I thought he has been playing well for msot of the season even when Manning is out. But yea, maybe all-pro is pushing it. Top 10?

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'd still rather have him as the other corner and promote Nolan to starter. But if Bryce keeps showing improvements maybe he can become the 2nd CB and Kareem becomes nickel until he gets played out by Brandon Harris whenever that guy starts playing.

6. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

He's been a really good tackler. I see him tackle a running back or receiver in space constantly, just one-on-one. And his coverage skills against the TE's are excellent. Been real impressed with him as well, All-Pro might be a bit exaggerated though IMO.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

he won a few 1on1 battles against Gonzalez yesterday.

8. magman

magman Member

That tackle he had on Douglas when the Falcons were going for the touchdown and then the tip were great plays. He's been really solid at the safety position, but I wouldn't say he's an all-pro.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Not even close to all-pro... but very solid this season. I am impressed.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He could be top 10 as far as SS goes, if only because he's played the whole season. A lot of injuries in that position this year, no Chung, Berry, or Landry, and those were all supposed to be top 5 guys.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Homer notwithstanding, GQ is playing very, very well..I noted that in the game thread, Quin closed the gap QUICK on a particular Turner run...He caught MJD impressively last week as well ..It's like he can be a very good box safety AND with the coverage skills that is needed. rare thing. GQ is easily top 10 if not better

12. liljojo

liljojo Member

So is FS and SS basically interchangeable in Wade's system? It seems to me that Quin and Manning have similar roles and skill sets.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Wade comes in, recognizes where Quinn is most valuable, he starts kicking ass. All hail the Son of Bum.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Manning was a converted CB also I think.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, IIRC correctly there really isn't a distinction between the two positions in this defense.

16. msn

msn Member

I've *read* that FS and SS are pretty much interchangeable in Wade's system, but that's me parroting what I think I've read, not speaking from any sort of knowledge.

As far as Quin back at CB, no thanks. We've *never* had good, consistent play at safety. You have a guy now who's finally been put in his best position to succeed (#RockStar), and you want to move him back to mediocrity? I've got a better idea: find another CB this spring/summer.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Mediocrity at corner >> current suckage at corner

Replace very good safety with average safety, then there's more balance.

Thought its the #2 corner, its not like BOTH corners are struggling like last year. And the weak CB2s are blending well within the framework because of GOOD SAFETY help. Remember it was both the weak links Jason Allen and Kareem that had interceptions last game.

So yes it should be an easier market in finding a CB2 to plug in than DESPERATELY trying to find any good cover corners.

18. msn

msn Member

didn't you just argue in favor of keeping him at S, Shroopy? Remember, it was bot the weak links that had interceptions yesterday because of GOOD SAFETY help. Degrade the Safety position, and how much does upgrading from KJ to Quin help?

I like Quin *a lot* at safety.

Also, how the hell could we question anything RockStar is doing right now? Just look at the eye-popping results! :grin:

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Quin was only in his second year, and he was showing flashes to be a decend #2 as long as the #1 wasn't Kareem. We've *never* had good consistent play throughout the secondary, and most of the time good corners are more important than good safeties, probably because the skillset is rarer or harder to develop. There are exceptions of course, since the best safeties are game altering threats.

There were plenty of safeties in the market, and most of the bigger transplants fell through (Atogwe, Whitner, Weddle). Manning was the best fit since it seems FS/SS in this system get more coverage duties, and he was a converted CB. But traditionally a box safety is relatively cheap and easy to find, and most of the plays we see GQ involved in is where he's playing good run support. I wish I could see more of the defensive field in the broadcasts to see how his coverage is affecting the qb's looks, but what I see on the tube, he's really shining in run stopping. I just thought with more development under the right people he'd shine more in the CB role since he was surviving under Gibbs. Nolan's tackling is getting better so I think he could fill in for Quin.

Joseph, Quin, Manning, Nolan > Joseph, Kareem, Quin, Manning

[​IMG]

20. today

today Contributing Member

Glad somebody mentioned this, I've especially seen him make a lot of great plays/tackles the last two weeks.