1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Global Test for Pre-emptive Military Action by the U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 1, 2004.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Found in the archives of the UN, via instapundit:

1. Is the U.S. President a Republican?
    2. Could this action possibly stabilize oil production?
    3. Are France and Germany supplying the intended target with weapons or advice?
    4. Would any small time thugocracy with a seat on the Security Council feel threatened?
    5. Are family members of high ranking U.N. bureaucrats benefiting financially from the status quo?
    6. Is this action likely to enhance America’s power in the world?
    7. Would this action further the goals of free market/free trade advocates?
    8. Would this action make the U.N. look weak and inconsistent?
    9. Would this action divide the countries of the European Union?
    10. Would this action be seen as offensive to a world religion (other than Christianity and Judaism)?

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're starting to seem desparate, basso.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

all these basso posts are starting to run together for me.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I agree. I can't think of one statement Bass ever made. He justs post 5 or 6 conservative articles per day.

5. glynch

Hey, Basso, plese explain why you and Rice and the rest of the Bush folks thinki it is honest to leave out the sentence before the "international test" phrase. This is typical tryng to reduce the debate where Bush lost to just to one phrase.

HAMPTON, New Hampshire (CNN) -- Sen. John Kerry on Monday lambasted as "pathetic" scaremongering, Republican criticism of his comments during last Thursday's debate in which he said the president's decision to go to war should pass a "global test" of legitimacy.

Asked during a town hall meeting in Hampton to explain what he meant, the Massachusetts senator said, "It's almost sad; it's certainly pathetic, because all they can do is grab a little phrase and try to play a game and scare Americans."

He added, "They're misleading Americans about what I said. What I said in the sentence preceding that was, 'I will never cede America's security to any institution or any other country.' No one gets a veto over our security. No one.

"And if they were honest enough to give America the full quote, which America heard, they would know that I'm never going to allow America's security to be outsourced. That's the job of the president.

"But I can do a better job of protecting America's security because the test that I was talking about was a test of legitimacy, not just in the globe, but elsewhere. (Special Report: America Votes 2004, the issues)

"If you do things that are illegitimate in the eyes of the other people, it's very hard to get them to share the burden and risk with you."

link

6. basso

Supporting Member

"...but it'd have to pass the global test first (paraphrasing)." that's kerry's philosophy in a nutshell, "yes, but..." i would argue there's no "but" where US security is concerned.

7. glynch

"...but it'd have to pass the global test first (paraphrasing)." that's kerry's philosophy in a nutshell, "yes, but..." i would argue there's no "but" where US security is concerned.

Basso, repeating the selective quote without the first sentence is no answer to my question, but I guess it is some sort of answer to my question if it fair in your mind to take one sentence out of context when the intial two or three sentence thought shows an opposite intent.

Repeating your own spin on this with your "no but" asertion is no answer either. .

I guess the answer to my question is that you believe it is fair to pull the one sentence without the other sentences.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

That is all the GOP can run on at this point, out of context quotes, distortions of the truth, and outright lies.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kerry is acknowledging that US's unilateral actions do not occur in a vacuum. This is a political reality viz-a-viz the delusions running rampant in GWB's mind.

10. basso

Supporting Member

you know, it must be nice to live in john kerry's, and your, world. A world where discussion, global tests, and summits solve all ills. a world where the possibility of condemnation converts murderous regimes to willing partners for peace. to bad the terrorists, and genocidal tyrants of sudan, don't live there as well.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kerry never said that would solve all ills. In fact Kerry isn't even saying to hold summits etc. in place of military action. He's saying that military action should be a last resort, and when done, it's better to have broad and legitimate coalition involved in that military action.

Nowhere did Kerry ever say that a brutal tyrant would become a partner for peace, or that we shouldn't use military force.

One thing that makes debate difficult, is when one side debates against arguments that their opponents aren't even making.

12. No Worries

You live in our world; you are just refusing to believe it.

Your advocacy of punch-your-allies-in-the-nose-when-they-refuse-to-be-your-b**** foreign policy is amusing though.

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Fun fact! An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain!

14. No Worries

I wonder what scrambled ostrich eggs taste like and would one be enough.

15. Buck Turgidson

An ostrich egg is equal to approximately 24 chicken eggs.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

:eek:

Imagine Luke getting those down!

17. No Worries

One might be enough then.