1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Rice Out For Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Jan 5, 2002.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

According to KPRC surgery will be required to help repair Glen Rice's injury and that means he will be out 3-4 months (rest of seaon).

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I had a feeling that was coming.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It would be nice if he called it quits - wouldn't that help our cap situation?

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He won't quit. He'll just rehab.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I knew it I knew it.

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is anyone at all surprised :rolleyes:

As Dr. Watson should have said... NS,S.

Thanks, Rudy. Thanks Carroll. Please stick with draft picks, ok? Love Francis, Love Griffy. Loved Cassell! Loved Mobley! Like KT!Oscar Torres! not so much the 3 not Rashard pix, but hey, nobody's perfect. No more free agents like these, please...

Shawn Elliot
    Barkley
    Brent Price
    Pip
    Shandy
    Mo Taylor
    G Rice

Do we always get damaged goods, that maybe had a big game against the Rox, like 2 years prior? Do they check these guys? Do they account for declining production? Note the sf blindspot, too.

Best wishes, Rox!

p

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Steve Francis
    Clyde Drexler
    Otis Thorpe
    Mario Elie
    Kevin Willis
    Kenny Smith
    Vernon Maxwell

I guess not all of their trades are bad, huh?

DD

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He never should have attempted playing! No surprise. I told you from day 1, he will bring nothing due to being hurt. Excuses, excuses...How many excuses will it be? Retire, Rice.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

rehab and get healthy Rice.

the team could really use you. :(

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

On second thought, a healthy Rice is welcome, anything else isn't.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

No great loss......

12. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

I agree totally. Now if we can get Walt to retire, the youngins can get the playing time they need to really improve themselves and the franchise.

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I think it actually will help our team, if Oscar starts. Williams sucked tonight.

14. Old School

Old School Member

I'd still take Rice on the IR in place of a healthy Shandon Anderson. The trade was not that bad a deal for the Rockets. Anderson wasn't giving us squat anyway. I like the group we have and hopefully we'll be able to build on it in the off season.

Rockets' Rice opts for surgery

Forward likely out for season
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Rockets forward Glen Rice needed less than an hour to make his decision. The choice was that clear.

With little progress being made on his sore right knee, Rice opted at halftime of Saturday night's game against Indiana to have his partially torn right patellar tendon surgically repaired, likely ending his season.

"It was a shock to me," said Rice, who had not decided on surgery before meeting with team doctors Saturday evening but reached and announced his decision at halftime. "In the beginning, what we were trying to do is give it time to heal on its own. It didn't work out that way. It's disappointing.

"It's probably best to go ahead and get the surgery done and start rehabbing as soon as possible. One of the things I'm going to try to do is do the surgery and do the rehab and see where I can go from there."

Rice, 34, said he would not rule out returning this season. However, Rockets team physician Dr. Walter Lowe said the normal rehabilitation time is three to four months, and he did not expect Rice to be back this season.

"I'm not going to say if I work as hard as possible (he would not play this season)," Rice said. "But not having the surgery, it could tear completely."

Lowe said the surgery is "a simple operation" and not career-threatening. But he said Rice risked completely rupturing the tendon if he were to play with the injury.

Lowe said the tendon is between 10 and 15 percent torn.

"Glen had a (magnetic resonance imaging) test on Friday," Lowe said. "We took that MRI and compared it to one done five weeks ago. It didn't show any signs of healing. There does not appear to be any scarring and healing on its own."

Rice has been out since Dec. 8 and on the injured list since Dec. 18. He averaged 8.6 points on 38.9 percent shooting and shot 28.1 percent on 3-pointers in his 20 games this season.

He was acquired in a sign-and-trade deal in which the Rockets sent free-agent guard/forward Shandon Anderson to the Knicks.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if those "future considerations" will be kicking in?

16. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Good point NIKE! I never knew what those "considerations" exactly are ... maybe now's time to find out!

17. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

It would be great to use NY's pick to settle with Vancouver

18. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

If only that was possible … :(

19. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Glen Rice receives too much respect around here. too many people talk about his injury as if it was truly detrimental for the rockets. true, rice was a much better player at one time and true, it's never right to speak positives about an injured player. but Rudy has that same false sentiment Rice would improve and hopefully return his game to a certain level that many posters here feel...which there have been no signs of for years.

everything about Rice in averages has been declining... and just watching him should be evidence enough.

I guess i do believe there's something left in Rice as well, but what gets to me is if Cato went down at the moment, i don't think he'd receive an ounce of the good words Rice receives. and frankly, i think Cato is much more of a factor to this team right now then Rice will ever be.

back to my wishful thinking that mobley and KT will be traded for raef and posey (SF for Rice) ... [for a more team oriented Rockets..]

20. treeman

treeman Member

I don't know if this is good news or bad news?

Good: EG, Torres, and TMo will get more minutes (I think with more minutes Morris might please), but with EG at 3. Makes more room for KT by proxy. (I still want to move Langhi)

Bad: No consistent Rice. Damn, I'd love to have this guy really - really - healthy and on the roster. He is better than Walt.

I dunno... I'm leaning towards "this is a good development, in the short term at least"...