1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Big Baby Davis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEXCELANT, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Northside Moss

Bleh, I liked Big Baby, but to judge him as a potential all-star just per his summer league stats and to say he's better then Landry too...well if we can do that, surely we can say that Arron Brooks will be the MVP of the league for the next 10 years?

2. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Woohoo!

3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I must admit that I wanted "Big Baby" myself. Didn't care for McRoberts at all, and never saw too much of Landry. I will say that if Davis can get in the 270-280 range, and stay there he will most likely be better than Carl longterm. But that's a big if. He played at as much as 330-335 last year, and I've seen him get badly winded after just a few minutes on the court. It will be interesting to see if he keeps his weight off.

Awhile back I read in one of the chron blogs(Lance or Feigen iirc) that he 'heard' that Davis lives up to his "Big Baby" moniker in more ways than one. Don't know if that meant work ethic, maturity, playing with pain, or what. I do know that he suffered slight injuries at least twice before the draft.

But at least if we made a mistake it looks like it won't be from lack of knowledge. According to draft express we had both Landry, and Davis in for workouts. On the SAME day.

Bobby Brown Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Dominic James Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Brandon Heath Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Jason Smith Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Aaron Gray Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Brad Newley Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Morris Almond Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Aaron Brooks Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Joseph Jones Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Jared Dudley Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    DeVon Hardin Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Jeremy Hunt Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Nick Fazekas Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Sean Singletary Rockets Jun 5th Completed
    Petteri Koponen Rockets Jun 5th Completed

Anthony Tolliver Rockets Jun 12th Completed
    Glen Davis Rockets Jun 12th Completed
    Carl Landry Rockets Jun 12th Completed

D.J. Strawberry Rockets Jun 13th Completed

Dominic McGuire Rockets Jun 24th Completed

Bet there's a good chance they had them going one on one too.

Also interesting that although they also worked out Fazecas, the one pf prospect slated to go in that general range missing is McRoberts(Splitter was in Europe).

4. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Damn Carl Landry 0 points on the 14th. Too his credit he did get 8 rebounds. I wish this guy would figure out how to put a complete game together. He got 14 pts against Chris Kaman in game 1.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Morey is a god damned genius. Gets Scola and the summer league's MVP, Aaron Brooks. I can forgive him for Big Baby. Scola is going to be more NBA ready than Davis and that is just what we need.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Davis was my last choice for PF but was miles ahead of the ankle biters we drafted. :(

7. Panda

Panda Member

Without money, 290 pounds.

With a ton of money, 340 pounds.

Pass.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Shouldn't that be:

Without money, 290 pounds.

With a ton of money, 2,290 pounds.

?

9. JamesC

JamesC Member

Davis has been around 270-280 since last summer. He hasnt been in the 330 range since the final foul.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Boozer was overweight too...........but so was Tractor Traylor, so you just don't know what kind of guy you are going to get.

If he keeps his weight off and gets in shape he is a top 10 talent.....but the key word is IF

DD

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i saw davis play on saturday against the mavs and davis was the lone bright spot for the celtics. i believe he ended the game with a double double in points and rebounds along with at least 5 blocked shots. offensively he showed a good touch around the basket and an adequate touch from the outside....he missed a good amount of jumpers in the first half and hit a few in the second. his rebounding is pretty good as he still has a wide body to get good positioning and what really surprised me was his timing on blocked shots, he was the only one playing any sort of interior defense for the celtics.

he did seem to be in great shape compared to a couple of years ago, but he still looked winded at times in the game.

things i noticed....he has poor handles in the post he lost the ball several times when backing in and when the double team came. offensively when he is out on the permiter he looks a bit lost, held the ball for a long time and then decided to either shoot the jumper or try to drive the ball in (without much success) the pick and roll defense he showed was deplorable, he would call on the screens and tell pruitt to either go under or over but he just let barea go by or when he did show he was very late on getting back to his man on a rotation or made the wrong rotation. he is a position rebounder, meaning if its his area he'll get the ball but if its a bit further out he isnt quick enough to get to the ball first. at times he would lose focus and get beat to a spot when he should have been there easily

Oh yeah and he definitely needs the ball to score, he did get some impressive offensive rebounds and had i believe one putback, but otherwise most of the points he scored i remember he scored on iso plays..not sure how effective his scoring ability will be with jefferson,allen and pierce getting the majority of the touches.

my overall assumption he is a solid pick at when the celtics got him at, do i think he is starter material in the nba? probably not because most of his "pros" requires him to have the ball a good portion of the time and he isnt that good to be a premiere player. he can and most likely will be a solid backup at the 4 for the celtics.

most people question his "fire" and ability to keep his weight down, i think he can if the celts and him have a trainer with him but we'll see if he can keep his current weight or bring it down a bit more than he'll be fine in the nba

12. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

Daryl Morey has not impressed as a GM. He's starting to look like Casserly.

13. roswell raygun

Morey sure impressed me by grabbing Scola for virtually nothing. Davis vs. Landry may be good for a summertime argument when little is happening, but I expect both to have similar, unremarkable NBA careers.

14. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

Okay, I'll give him the Scola thing but what else has he done?

15. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

And don't say Mike James for Juwan Howard. Don't start with that.

16. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

What do you expect him to do? He doesn't exactly have major trade pieces or cap room.

17. AMD

AMD Member

What's the point in all the speculation on how good a guy's career is gonna be? Why not just wait til the season, let them play and then judge when there is actually something to judge.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Can you score in basketball without the ball? :p

I get so tired of seeing this cliche. Pardon me, YoYo, I don't mean to pick on you but this phrase is abused here on the board and by sports writers.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

someone write this down, this is a clutch classic quote.