1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glass Half Empty - Reasons to be depressed about the upcoming season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 13, 2015.

1. baubo

baubo Member

What if I see the Texans both glass half empty and half full? I think they are a perfectly mediocre team. They may overachieve and go 10-6, or drop back and go 6-10. But overall I see an average team.

I want to say it's depressing to be .500 and spinning the mediocrity treadmill. But honestly the Texans have been operating like they just want to achieve this state of "just don't be bad enough for 2-14 and you keep your job," that I have no strong feelings left. If they want to roll with Hoyer and Mallet, so be it. If they want to be on the Fitzpatrick bandwagon, whatever. Wake me when they begin to think about ways to contend for a championship rather than avoiding the #1 pick.

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

Rick Smith is our GM and has been for the past 9 YEARS. Things will never change as long as he's running the show.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Glass half empty, you're looking for excuses to complain and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He is NOT running the show...

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yes, clearly allllll the evidence shows this is a kick ass franchise.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Fitz out, Hoyer in is a wash at best... and you could argue that Fitz might actually be slightly better.

Lewis out, Moore in... definitely an upgrade. But safety was a position we needed to upgrade, and so how much Moore improves the spot, and what other upgade they do at the safety positions is still to be seen.

The re-signings were all positives... but they are not net new additions. At the same time, they lost their WR2 with no WR replacement in sight (certainly not on the roster), and honestly they need to replace (if not upgrade) Brooks position and Powe's position, as both solidly in the rotation (regardless of what you think of either player... if there was someone better on the roster, why wasn't that player replacing them?).

And with the other NTs in the rotation still unsigned, that is a huge question mark.

So, taken as a whole, the team at best stood still... and a good argument could be made that they regressed. Still plenty of time and ways to change that. But this thread is supposed to be "glass half full", and so far, its slightly less than half full.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

He said all they did was lose talent. Did they, did they really?

Well excuse them for not addressing every need 5 days into free agency. :rolleyes: If it's September 15th and there's still no NT(Pickett), LB(Reed), or WR(Johnson), then you can freak out.

Which is it, are we upset they didn't keep Andre for $16 million, didn't jump on re-signing a 35-year old nose tackle, didn't pay Brooks Reed 22 million over 5 years or that they haven't replaced them 5 days into free agency/the offseason?

Of course they aren't new additions. But they were FREE AGENTS. Free to go elsewhere. All the hand-wringing now, man, I would love to see it if Newton, Jackson and Mallett went elsewhere and didn't re-sign. STUPID RICK, STUPID BELICHICK WANNABE, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!

Which is what I said, more or less, the same. If you think they regressed heavily or this is the final roster,... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This thread is "Glass half empty". And I'm probably in the wrong thread.

#47 J.R., Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. dmoneybangbang

More or less this. I think the Texans are trying to become a team that will constantly make the playoffs but will need to catch fire to win the superbowl.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

My word! One of my favorite posters, OVER REACTING! I was just responding to the thread title based on free agency SO FAR. In my view, pretty much just running in place at best and possibly a decline overall. It isn't over, but the Texans hardly made a ripple in the pond. The loss of Andre to the Colts was a real slap in the face. I wouldn't have paid him big money, but I wish something could have been worked out. I wasn't all that thrilled with the resignings of Jackson and Newton. Not my favorite players. Andre was. Hoyer is nothing to get excited about.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

• I don't think Clowney is going to help us at all next year. He will be listed as 'questionable' every week (think Ed Reed) and may play a few games, but will be totally ineffective when he does. Frankly, I think his career is done. At least as a superstar pass rusher. Just a feeling I have...
    • I hate that the presence of Savage will keep us from drafting a QB this year. I just don't think the guy will ever be an NFL QB. Wish we could go to camp with Mallet/Hoyer/rookie QB with some possible upside.
    • Not really counting on Cushing to do much this year. I just don't think he'll ever get back to his pre-injuries self. Really hope I'm wrong on this one because I love the guy!

11. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Adding on to your list(which I 100% agree with):
    • I Hate that the just like when the Texans office didn't trade for Teddy Bridgewater(for what ended up being Su'a Filo and Savage), They also didn't do ANYTHING trade wise to get a WR. I know that we weren't going to break the bank draft pick wise for a wide receiver, but c'mon. Kenny Stills. Mike Wallace. Torrey Smith. It wouldn't have been ultra difficult to get one of them, yet the Texan's office sat there with their hands under their ass and did nothing. Hopefully we get Shorts, otherwise this will be extremely disappointing.
    • I hate that some fans out there still think Kareem Jackson and Derek Newton are garbage. Not mediocre. Complete garbage. This isn't 2010. They aren't admittedly top tier players, but they have DEFINITELY developed from when they were drafted, even with all the constant scrutiny they've faced.
    • Reiterating on Clowney, I really hate the WHOLE damn situation. The year Indy gets the #1 pick-Andrew Luck, which was a no brainer. The year Tampa gets the #1 pick-they have the option of choosing between two dynamic QBs that can possibly become difference makers for their franchise. The year WE get the #1 pick-We draft a guy who was hyped up to be the next great defensive player, the next freaking L.T., by the draft gurus like Mel Kiper, yet the Texans didn't really consider his work ethic and injury struggles throughout college before drafting him. We also didn't draft a guy who went on to actually play a full season, would have fit our system nicely, and had ZERO questions about his injury or work concerns, and I honestly have no clue as to why. Maybe because he played for a small school. It really just pisses me off as a whole at just how unlucky our franchise is at sometimes. If we ever get the #1 pick, I almost bet that there wouldn't even be a QB worth taking with it. Probably the next greatest long snapper. Watch out Johnathan Weeks.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

If Willfork still has something in the tank, things may be looking up. Imagine a healthy Clowney, Willfork, and Watt. Woa.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We may have ended up overpaying for him, but the way I see it, he simply cannot be a downgrade from Powe/Pickett. He's sandwiched between two phenoms. All the guy has to do is hold his ground and chaos will erupt in the opponent's backfield. When you add in the tutoring aspect for Nix, it's just gravy. I'm excited as hell to finally have a real nose tackle.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think that's the only way we'll ever see a healthy Clowney.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget our first year of existence. We narrowly miss out on a shot at drafting Michael Vick (who had his own trouble but was definitely a game changer) and instead took David Carr. Freaking David Carr.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I would be 100x more excited to start this season, but am immediately reminded who we have at quarterback and it hurts.

We are wasting JJ's prime, and I'm desperately hoping a decent QB can come along and do his part.

I feel like this year is just going to be a repeat of last year.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Already wasted Andre Johnson's prime. This is what we do.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This thread is amazing.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nailed it.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Glass half empty, half full, I'll spill ya. Try me and run into a wall outfielder!