1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gladiator

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Azim da Dream, May 7, 2000.

1. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I just saw that movie last night and came out way impressed. I have to admitt, I wasn't too keen on going, but because my friends said it was going to be good, I'd thought I'd go for the heck of it. Turns out, Gladiator is the best movie I've seen all year and barring any awesome movie this summer, probably will be the best, IMO.

It not only had thrilling and utterly entertaining fights and battles, but it was smart, well-written, acted to perfection and had a rich plot to boot. Russell Crowe did a great job, and so did Joaquin Phoenix.

It was just flat-out entertaining.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I saw this movie today also... it was alot better than I thought it would be. It wasn't nearly as rah rah as I expected. There was character development, and even a few times that I had to swallow hard.

It'd be hard pressed though to be the best movie I've seen all year.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited May 07, 2000).]

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Achebe ...

I have yet to see the movie ... but could you at least tell me one good movie that is really worth bragging about this year?!?

------------------

4. Achebe

Space Ghost:

I started to spiel, so I narrowed it down to just one film:

'Saving Grace'. Don't worry about the title if you're faith-challenged, Grace is the name of the main character. In Utah, we're lucky enough to have the Sundance film festival (if we didn't Utah would somehow be more boring [​IMG]), and 'Saving Grace' was the world cinema winner. It should be out in the video store by now... if it's not, try to remember its title when it does come out.

------------------

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Movie Reviews:

Gladiator: A
    In Love and Basketball: A
    U-571: b-

All worth seeing on big screen. Rental won't be the same except for basketball movie.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Space Ghost:

Ghost Dog
    Wonder Boys
    U-571

All worth seeing, and right now, the three above Gladiator. Gladiator was a great movie. My only complaint was that the battle scenes were too muddled, except for the last one. You couldn't really tell what was going on.

I'm pumped for Me, Myself, and Irene!

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

7. Achebe

rm95, the muddled battle scenes were one of my complaints too. I realize it must have been crazy but puleaze....

------------------

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I didn't like the muddled battle scenes as well. It was hard to follow, but I think they were trying to make you feel like you were in the mix of it. It just wasn't done very successfully.

I liked the fact that they allowed you to look into the characters. Both good and bad. U-571 gave you a good look at the main character, but it didn't really develop anybody else. Especially not the enemy. So I had to rate the Gladiator higher. It seemed to take on, or tried to take on, another level of thought. I think it's a movie you could watch twice and find things that you didn't notice before. Things that develop the characters and add to the irony. I'm not sure I would get that out of U-571 although I liked it a lot.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

I saw frequency this weekend, and it was terrific. Kind of Back to the Future meets Backdraft and, well, a murder mystery thriller. It was really good.

They should have saved it another month for Father's Day. Go see it with your dad.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. Space Ghost

Achebe:

I'll take you up on that one and will return you with my rating ... I've vaguely remember the previews and it did not seem my type of favorite...but ive been wrong before.

Now a movie that I absolutely loved was Dogma. I finally seen the video (lame-ass friends didn't think it would be good) The slicing and dicing at religion was so true!! (to me at least)

RM95:

U-571 to me seemed more like an action movie with lots of explosives ... directed towards a 'guy-movie'. I agree with PhiSlammaJamma POV on this movie ...

I never heard of Ghost Dog or Wonderboy ... but I will put that on my list too.

------------------

11. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Best Movies I've seen this year:

Erin Brokovich (sp?) or Rules of Engagement

It's a toss up.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

12. Achebe

Space Ghost:

If you do see that film, remember I was just comparing it to Gladiator. Films like Dogma (did that come out this year?) seemed alot cooler/wittier.

It's been a while since I saw a movie that I really, really liked. i.e. American Beauty.

------------------

13. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Azim,
    I have to agree with you. I saw Gladiator this weekend and was truly impressed. I loved this movie. Man what a great movie to kick-off the summer movie season. It was an epic story. If I had to compare it to another movie it would be Braveheart. Great battle scenes, had a little bit of romance, a well acted villan (Jaquin Phoenix - one that you loved to hate), and great leading man (i.e. Russel Crowe). I had no complaints what so ever about the fighting scenes. My wife thought they were way to violent.

I thought Russell Crowe was outstanding. He has arrived as an A list actor. Riddley Scott did an excellent job directing this movie. Great ending as well. This was a 5 star movie....

Will have to add this to my DVD collection.

PS - Did anyone see the trailer for Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon. It's about a scientist that takes some kind of experimental serum that makes him become evil and invisible. The special effects in that movie looked really cool. X-Men and Mission Impossible 2 looked awesome too.

14. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

You're right Dream34, it was a lot like Braveheart, although the story was noticeably different.

Maybe I went too far with the Best Movie of the Year thing, but I haven't really watched that many this year (5 or 6 at the most). I guess for me it would be right up there with The Hurricane, another awesome movie. Films based on a true story are often the best ones, IMHO.

Another flick that I thought was good was High Fidelity. It was kind of slow, but I think some of the music lovers in this BBS such as Jeff or RM95 would love it. Escecially if you like some of the older stuff.

But Gladiator was just one of those movies that just make you feel good after walking out of the theater, knowing it was almost worth the ridiculous prices it takes to watch one nowadays!

Azim da Dream

15. Space Ghost

Gladiator was definately a kick ass movie ... and to date, i would give it the best movie so far this year. A good competitor is going to be The Patriot, but other than that, i don't think there is a whole lot out there that can knock it out.

Azim:

Im sorry, but High Fidelity sucked ... it could be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Yeah, maybe I didn't appreciate the music aspect of it, but there just was nothing to that movie ... no humor, no plot, no T&A ... just blah. I guess half the theature agreed when they walked out before it was ever over.

------------------

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gladiator was entertaining, but I thought the ending was bad - predictable, not very believeable, and trite.

Also, they butchered history, but I can look past that. It was fun.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Any initial word on Frequency yet? Or Battelfield Earth?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

18. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I just saw "Gladiator" this past weekend and loved it. It is similar to "Braveheart" but not quite at the same level. If you're a guy and like historical stuff at all, you'll definitely love this movie.

Joaquin Phoenix is now one of my favorite youngish actors. He was also good in "Return to Paradise".

19. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Its an OK movie in my book. It was very slow at the beginning and I didn't like the fact that they tried to make it look like my favorite movie,Braveheart. And they needed to stick to history if they wanted to make it any better in my book. I don't like movies that stray from what really happened.

I did like the gladiator scenes and the fact that Julius was such a great villain. That made the movie, in my opinion. And the cinematography was great also. Rome has never looked better.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, if it is like Braveheart, I definitely won't like it!

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com