1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gizmondo WideScreen - Blows away competition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Are you watching us, DD????

http://www.stuffmag.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=628

[​IMG]

So the Gizmondo's GPS function does have a use. In addition to providing the power behind the handheld gamer's new in-car sat-nav package, last month it also helped rescue a stolen Gizmondo.

The story reeks of a PR stunt to our sceptical noses but Gizmondo insists it's for real.

Apparently, the tale goes thus: on 18th September, a twenty-something man stole one of the consoles from the company's Regent Street. Gizmondo then tracked his position using GPS and sent him a text message (pictured) which led to the handheld being quietly returned the same day.

There are still no Gizmondo games that take advantage of the machine's GPS feature, but we've recently been road-testing the new sat-nav package, Navigator 2006.

The software's provided on SD card by ALK's Co-Pilot, and it does a competent - albeit distinctly average - job of guiding you around town and country.

Maps are clear and directions are mostly delivered on time, but it occasionally sent us on unnecessary loops, confused us with oddly-described directions and took too long to knock up a new route when we accidentally went off-course.

It's on sale now in a bundle with the Gizmondo for a very reasonable £200.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The widescreen 'looks' like a much better product (no analog ?) will the cost be around 400-500? :eek:

...games like "Sticky Balls", "Interstellar Flames 2" and "Pocket Ping Pong"
    ________

Will the next big release be "Pocket Fisherman"? :p

:)

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sticky Balls is good, the others, I inherited.

Widescreen is a good ways away...probably next fall. Yes, you can track the unit, but you can turn that feature off if you like.

DD

4. Fatty FatBastard

I, personally, agree with the review, at least if it's correct.

If your unit is not coming out with a "franchise" name in a video game, I'd put the R&D, and especially marketing, into its other components.

Let word of mouth discover that "Hey!!! I can get some cool games on here, too!"

You know how you could market the hell out of this product? 24 hour gambling.

Make the best interactive Texas Hold 'em there is, and make it exclusive to Gizmondo.

There are a ton of r****ds out there that knew if they could have Las Vegas in their hand, they would buy it, no matter the cost.

5. KingCheetah

Yeah, DD I think you need something like this as well.

6. DaDakota

Don't think we are not already all over this idea.

DD

7. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

How long do the batteries last on this gadget?

8. DaDakota

6 to 7 hours.

I use the Sat nav each and every day, it is awesome...the games are ok, it takes longer than 7 months to build a game catalogue....

We have some good games coming up.....so stay tuned....

However, the SAT Nav is the shiznitz....for under $400 total, you get a Sat navigation system that also plays games, movies, MP3s etc..etc..etc... and that is a bargain.

DD

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

an ball park idea on cost, would it be ready in Feb and wonder would it work downunder??

10. DaDakota

I think around $500, and plans to release in Australia are definite.

DD

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Another bad review.... :(
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051021/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_gizmondo
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    REVIEW: Gizmondo Offers Little Value
    By MATT SLAGLE, AP Technology Writer Fri Oct 21, 7:27 PM ET

DALLAS - There's one surefire way for a video game system to fail with consumers: a lack of decent games. It seems so obvious, right? Yet somehow, along comes Gizmondo.

This latest entrant in the already crowded handheld game market, available Saturday in the United States, will initially have 14 games to choose from — most all of them uniformly terrible.

The $229 device, which looks like a black and silver taco and is attractive and truly unique in its feature set, has been available for months already in Britain.

But how can it possibly survive against such heavyweights as Sony and Nintendo?

Gizmondo is solidly built and comfortable to hold with a 2.8-inch, 65,000-color screen that's crisp and bright.

Its innards are an interesting mix: a built-in global positioning satellite receiver, a VGA digital camera, GPRS cellular wireless networking for text and multimedia messaging (oddly, there's no voice capability) and a 400-megahertz ARM processor running on a customized version of Microsoft's Windows CE operating system.

Gizmondo games I tested, priced between $20 and $40, ranged from a visually attractive but impossible futuristic racer called "Trailblazer" to the ugly, unbearable "Stuntcar Extreme."

"Pocket Ping Pong 2005" was another fiasco involving beachside bikini babes and table tennis from a first-person perspective.

The GPS offers some neat potential for truly mobile games.

The only such game promised, "Colors," is vaguely described on Gizmondo's Web site as a type of gang warfare game for "the mobile communication era that utilizes every aspect of the Gizmondo functionality." No release date so far.

Other games, such as the snowboarding title "SSX 3" offered by big-name publisher Electronic Arts Inc., have already seen far better times on other — and presumably competing — systems.

At least there's more to Gizmondo than games.

Gizmondo uses Windows Media Player 9 to play digital music and supports the MPEG-4 video standard to watch movies and other unencrypted videos.

A supplied demo memory chip (a slot in the Gizmondo accepts SD and MMC formats) included a trailer for the recent action flick "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."

Playback stuttered throughout and the graphics were too small and blurry to sit through a feature length film.

I was perturbed with the sound. It pumps out great stereo with a set of headphones but the unit's single external speaker is inexplicably placed below the control buttons — right where my thumb conveniently rests, blocking the sound.

You can't take advantage of nifty location-based GPS features without plopping down extra cash for the required mapping software ($169 for regional coverage, $249 for the entire continental United States). A complete system bundle will go for $399.

I tested the cheaper "Smart Adds" Gizmondo.

Consumers who buy the "Smart Adds" version save roughly $170 by filling out an online survey and agreeing to have three commercials, each between 15 to 30 seconds long, sent wirelessly to their device each day.

The ads, consisting of short videos, can't be skipped but will not interfere with games or movies, company officials say. Should an ad arrive in the middle of a game, you will be forced to watch it once you quit before you can move on to another function.

An even more worrisome development was last month's announcement that a new Wi-Fi-enabled, 4-inch-wide-screen model is in the works. Taunting me with a better system on the horizon will only stop me from buying a current-generation unit.

If it ever comes to fruition, the Gizmondo 2 or whatever they call it potentially could offer something over the $300 PlayStation Portable from Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). or the $130 Nintendo DS from Nintendo Co.

For now, consumers already have a tough choice between the PSP's wide screen beauty, the inventive gameplay of Nintendo Co.'s touch screen Nintendo DS and the massive library for the older Game Boy Advance series.

Beyond certain technophiles who require a regular diet of new gadgets, I don't see Gizmondo being much of a player.

12. KingCheetah

SSX 3 (Snowboard Super Cross 3) is a snowboarding extreme racing game developed by EA Canada and published by EA Sports Big, which was released in late 2003 for the GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Game Boy Advance. It was later in 2005 ported for the Gizmondo as a launch title.
    _____

I never realized this was ported to the Gizmondo -- could be a game changer.

13. DaDakota

Wow - dredging up the past, so much wrong with the Gizmondo as a company - basically the top guys were crooks, and us developers found out the hard way.

I really wish I could let you guys in on all the crap I found out after the fact, but I am afraid I might get shot.

Maybe a book someday.

DD

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah I remember reading articles saying there were Russian gangsters laundering money or something.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL....Quite the necro bump.

Those initial images in the OP....crazy that was 9 years ago! :eek:

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Do it Doc Rocket style.

17. DaDakota

Nah this is a story that folks would pay to hear...hehe....I have a book up my sleeve, maybe tie it with other crap I got tied up with.

DD

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

can I buy the movie rights? sounds like a worth sequel to The Equalizer.... :)

19. DaDakota

Let's just say shotgun down the pants to the CEO - who flees the country on a yacht he bought with penny stock, and smuggles two enzo ferraris as well.

Juicy stuff......

DD

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I found an old Wired story back from 2006...

GIZMONDO'S SPECTACULAR CRACK-UP

I remember the Ferrari car wreck story but would love to know more of the DaDa details.