1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gizmondo WideScreen - Blows away competition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 16, 2005.

1. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

ouch

if that pricing is correct, this thing doesn't stand a chance

not that it really did anyways with Sony's marketing might standing in its way

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Since the ad will only come on when you are turning off the device, the less expensive system sounds pretty good (unless there are hardware differences). And you know some people will come up with a hack for the ad software sooner or later. So consider a unit that can do pretty much everything that a high end handheld could, which are in the price range of 400 to 600 dollars, $229 isn't all the bad. But I do think the GPS system should be standard, even on the less expensive systems.

#62 LegendZ3, Oct 21, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Any one remember Cybiko?? It did a lot, but none of it well..

[​IMG]

DaDakota is a smart guy he wont let this thing fall flat..

I'd like to read other reviews of it before making a judgement call..

4. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

it's like the bathroom buddy except it works and doesn't have a shaving cream dispenser.

Looks great pair of D's.

Chance

5. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Wow. That's an insane price...... doesn't sound great, wonder what DD has to say.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

To be honest, most of the reviews/impressions I've seen for the Gizmondo have been pretty bad. And from what I've read, the company has made some puzzling business decisions which probably explains some of their losses up to this point. The Gizmondo is mostly seen as a joke in some of the forums I visit, kind of like the Phantom and the Ngage.

However, I will say that recent reviews have been a little more positive, especially if it isn't treated so much as a game machine. For example, someone from 1up (I believe) gave some of his impressions about it over at GAF:
    http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=68143

Probably the most positive review/impressions ever said about the system on GAF.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm rooting for you, DaDakota. I have my doubts, though. I think the release of this product is a little late considering the Sony PSP and other products are out there. Plus, your missing the x-mas market with a next year launch and plenty of PSPs are expected to sell this x-mas based on Sony's projections. I think this will be a high niche market for this product and I wonder if you can sell enough of them to be profitable. I think a lot of people would rather have one product that focuses on one thing that does something really well versus one product that does many things but not all of them as well. It may be that your product can do things just as well as other products that focus only on one or two things. However, will that potential ever be realized unless this gizmo takes off?

Plus, your going to have a lot of people clamoring for next-gen gaming consoles coming up. I'm wondering where your market is going to come from? Who are your customers going to be? The technology nerds and gadget freaks who believe in doing twenty things on one device? It's a phone...it's a game machine...it's a GPS locator...it's a MP3 player...it's a bird...it's a plane... .

I'm just a caveman. Your world frightens and confuses me.

[​IMG]

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

48 secs? Thats as bad as a slow PC start up time. :(

9. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Does it really matter if Gizmondo 1 does well or not? It seems like Gizmondo 2 is the key to whether this product line will boom or bust... just get some good games for it and everything will take care of itself :)

11. RC Cola

Well, I would expect that they hope this first version gets back at least some of their $300+ million losses. If it does badly, I would imagine that number would rise even higher, and unlike Microsoft, I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to throw away billions of dollars just to enter the market. To be honest, I still don't see why they're bringing out another one so soon, especially while they’re pushing the first one here in the US. Will we have a Gizmondo 3 in 2007 as well?

And as Surfguy said, they may be digging themselves a hole the longer they wait to release this product (assuming it is affordable and as great as it sounds). It may be possible that by the time the new Gizmondo starts picking up, Sony, Nintendo, and other companies may have some other products up their sleeve that "blow away the competition."

As for getting good games, that's easier said than done. If it was that easy, Nintendo wouldn't have dominated this market for as long as they have.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I KNEW IT! Half of the stuff posted over there suddenly appears here about 5 minutes later.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem is our message.

We are NOT a gaming centric device, we are a lifestyle product that also has games as a feature.

This is the Giz 1, and the BEST thing about it, is the Sat Nav system...you can get a Sat Navigator, MP3 player, Movie player, Game machine, text messager, Email system..etc..etc..etc... for $229....

It is a good deal.....but it is going to take a while for us to build up our games catalogue, right now, we have a few games I like, and a bunch that I would have rather not inherited.

:)

DD

14. RC Cola

Yeah, I use GAF as my source of info like 90% of the time. Why bother going to IGN, Gamespot, 1up, Yahoo, etc., when GAF does it for me? :) In fact, I even directed posters there in the past when I was too lazy to make some threads that were as detailed as the ones over there (The TGS and X05 summary threads by Amirox for example).

So should I post those new Madden 360 and NHL2K6 screens? ;)

15. forebay

forebay Member

I recently read a review by PC Magzine and it is brutal. But even bad press is better than no press. Good Luck.

16. DaDakota

I am a smart guy? Not sure about that, but I am the guy that runs the internal Games development.

The best games for the Giz are coming up...Hit and Myth, Johnny Whatever, Colors, Chicane, Catapult, Agaju etc..etc..etc...

I want to point out, that I am NOT the one making the decision to launch right now......I would prefer to have a stronger games portfolio.....

The best thing about the device currently is the Sat Nav package...very sweet, that is our killer app.

Oh, that and you can rip movies and play them on the device.

:)

DD

17. DaDakota

By the way, I just got back from the launch party in San Fran, where I completely contradicted the message that our CEO has been wanting us to put out.

I just got tired of the BS line of thinking and went with the truth...

Our target market is NOT hard core gamers, we are rather like the Television, in that the TV is a device for everyone, and the shows define the market.

For us the applications define the market, not the device itself.

Dad may want the Sat Nav, Mom may want Email, Son may want games & movies, daughter may want MP3...

Digital Convergence.....

Now, if they would have only listened to me and left the phone in there on this one...........

DD

18. RC Cola

Hehe...but how else are you going to keep EA on board? :)

FWIW, I hope I didn't give that impression. Personally, I think the gaming division isn't doing too bad, especially given the circumstances. So you and your division are doing a good job from what I could tell. Probably would be doing even better if you had your way as far as the launch plans, at least IMO.

I'm guessing that the guys over you are the ones that may screw things up. I remember reading some article a while back where it sounded like some of the higher-up were just basically throwing away money on salaries, bonuses, lawsuits, and other things.

I also agree with your image of what the Gizmondo should be marketed as. It would probably still be a tough sell, but I think it would be a more interesting product IMO. Not sure if it would be possible to have a device that does all that at an acceptable quality, time period, and price, but it would be better than trying to battle Sony and Nintendo head-on as a game machine.

19. DaDakota

You mean like these 2 guys?

:D

DD

20. PhiSlammaJamma

The palmless people are pretty much screwed.