1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gizmondo WideScreen - Blows away competition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 16, 2005.

1. droxford

droxford Member

It would incorporate devices.

Instead of buying an ipod, and buying a cellphone, and buying a psp, and a digital camera, and all their accessories and services, and carrying three or four devices around, you buy one device, one set of accessories, pay for one service, and carry one device around. If its power is more than an Xbox, it could even replace that, as well (one less unit, set of accessories, and service to pay for).

And because it's a single unit, it may be able to provide features that are unavailble to individual devices. Like, as DD mentioned, mixing a cell phone with internet connectivity and making free calls over internet lines. or capturing game play to a video clip and viewing it/moving to to a memory card. Stuff like that.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Very very true......

We are working on it, but it is a monumental task.

All I know is the GPS tracking software is sweet and so are some of the games, as for the rest...I am not allowed to comment.

YET !

DD

#22 DaDakota, Sep 16, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  3. DaDakota

You're hired !!

4. droxford

droxford Member

I'd love to be on board, man. I wouldn't mind managing some of the software development for it. I'm currently working my way through middle management (I manage an internal desktop software development dept. at a major law firm) and I'm trying to groom myself and my career for a CTO or CIO position.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The GPS should be a game, where you actually find other people and kill them.

6. DaDakota

Or you kill their pet/avatar...or battle it out when you get in proximity....that might be cool....or rather....IS going to be cool.

;)

7. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

wow! i'm sold... give it emulator support and i'll sell my psp.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Can it clean pipes? ;)

It does so many things...I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. lol

As far as software and games support, won't that make or break this thing? Who do you have on board?

9. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Haven't you heard of Geocaching? There's a market you could conquer, with the right software. That stuff is taking off like wildfire. I have several friends that are rabid for it.

10. DaDakota

We are working with Jeremy Irish (founder of Geocaching) as we speak.

:)

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow, DD. This really sounds cool! :cool:

12. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

for us really big geeks out there...

what kind of processor are we talking about DD? Or is that still NDA-only material? Is it an ARM? XSCALE etc? Just curious what can drive that awesome of a device.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

sorry to be skeptical, but what can this do that a PDA with a cell cant?

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

TV out?

128 RAM on board?

Skype?

To name a few.

Sounds brillia-rriffic-cal!

This calls for an old photochop to resurface.... (looks for file....)

(Don't remember what this was for though ;) maybe just that you were cool..io )

[​IMG]

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Good luck man.

I'm guessing that retail is going to be about $500, since it's better than the last one that was going to retail for $350? If that's the case, y'all better find a way to get some kickass games bundled with it for that price.

Do you think that you are competing more with the PSP or more with the top-end phones? Or is it a separate market?

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

Definitely good luck I will give my support! Keep us updated

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

DaDakota,

That sunds great man! I have ALWAYS wanted a device that has absolutely every device I ever wanted all in one, and this is as close as I will probably get. When it comes out, I will definitely check it out, and if it's to my liking, I will definitely buy it. Being Windows-based and having a TV/Wi-Fi/Navagation capabilities is enough for me to be sold on this device.

Let me know when it's out man, and I will immediately check it out.

Very cool, keep it up!

18. DaDakota

We are competing with everyone, our goal is to have a reason to buy our device no matter what your usage is....

Cell phone, games, movies, MP3s, GPS, Wi-Fi....TV game console.....

You name it...we got it.....

This could revolutionize the world, and that is exciting to me.

Oh and Arm 11 is the processor...600MGHZ I believe.

DD

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

DD

you mentioned it'd be out next year, this there an exact date planned, if not like at least first qtr 2006 or month?

I saw some info about this at e3 and was anticipating its release...didnt know you were the man about gizmondo. you should do a fat cf.net discount ;)

either way safe to say you'll get my money for this product unless the price tag is way too high (400+ for me)

20. deepblue

deepblue Member

Bluetooth wireless headset and handsfree is great, do you guys plan to package those with it? Only way I can see people using it as a cell phone is with bluetooth. I assume it will work with the new cars coming out with bluetooth.

Also is it me or it looks very much like the PSP, have you guys considered using a light aluminum case like the ipod mini? I personally find my PSP feels a little fragile (plus scratches and fingerprints on black plastic).