1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Givony: Rockets were targeting Kentucky's Jarred Vanderbilt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Appreciate your input and comments. Lamar had a jumper, Vanderbilt couldn't shoot even at the college level. It will be easy to guard him.

darksoul35 likes this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I seriously wonder who will be more useful to us in the playoffs. Ryan Anderson or any of these 2nd round draft picks.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

We'll agree to disagree. Lamar was an average shooter at best and a good rebounder. The kid shouldn't have played. Tried to help his squad by playing center but once he gets healthy he will show ALOT more. Especially handling the ball and getting to the hole. He's a better offensive player than he showed at UK. Health is the key. But if you weren't a team they had time to wait then he wasn't for you. Probably not for the Rox win now mode.

saleem likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kentucky used JV very differently than he was featured in HS.

I liken Vanderbuilt more to Dennis Rodman with ball handling and court vision of a point.

Vanderbuilt would be a 5 on the Rockets, not a perimeter player. Unless he develops a more consistent stroke, which is not unheard of in NBA.

BigMaloe and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

He was medically cleared 2 months before he played. Coach Cal cares more about these kids than he does winning and when they asked Cal why Jared wasn't playing he said you have to ask his people because he has been cleared and it was up to him when he wanted to come back. I tink he is a great 2nd round pick but when I say im glad we didn't get him I was thinking of the whole trading in to the 1st round. He is a great rebounder and no doubt he can guard 1 thru 4 but there is no way he is guarding the 5.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Can you compare Vanderbilt to Gary Clark?

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's not a five but a ball handling four who has to improve that jumper. But I know his inner circle, and he's always going to rush back. This " medically cleared" garbage take it with a grain of salt. If given the choice , he will always take the option to get on the court the quickest. He had a few options and chose to play. I'll say it again, he shouldn't have played at all this year.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Clint had trouble guarding g true 5's until this season. But dont t tell me that Vanderbuilt can't guard the Draymond Greens of the NBA. True 5's are becoming obsolete in this era because they can't switch on D plus low post is no longer THE staple. This the era of the guards so everything revolves around perimeter offense and ball handling.

Vanderbuilt would be a stud on Rockets first as small ball 5 until he builds up more strength and mass to play position full time. He improves his 3 ball its cherry on top.

9. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I really don't know anything about Clark but Vanderbilt has a non stop motor and is a great rebounder. He has a long way to go offensively.

D-rock likes this.
  10. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If this was a player the Rockets were targeting they should've moved up and got him...couldve made deals with 76ers, Lakers or Nets...The dude has the ability to rebound in traffic. Think his injury history surely scared some folks ...because he was a 5 star recruit out of high-school.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

same was said about Draymond actually...

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Draymond was the Big Ten Player of the Year! His game was well-defined when he entered the draft. The knock on him back then was that he was undersized, didn't have a true position and might not be able to defend against length in the NBA. The doubters were all wrong, of course.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love how people keep using the phrase "under sized power forward" like that is a knock. This is not your father's NBA where teams are trotting out Otis Thorpe. It is a brand new NBA. Positionless. Wings, Combo-forwards. Speed.

Why do we talk so much about a player's height? Wingspan is more important, tbh. Motor, BB IQ. Those are huge. I mean, look at PJ Tucker.