1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give the Rockets credit - they solved the Spurs solving their offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 7, 2017.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Read Sam's post.

Based on Sam's post
    We hit threes we win otherwise we lose. Sounds pretty one trick to me. If we can't win without hitting threes...is that a good thing or a bad thing?

2. dmoneybangbang

We did against OKC, so stop with the black and white argument as you haven't once mentioned points in the paint.

It seems the real argument is are we currently constructed to win it all? I think that's a resounding no. If somehow Paul George got on this team, do you think we would stop our philosophy?

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Paul George (provided healthy), would be the perfect piece to this current roster to win a championship in my opinion. Can Les pay an exorbitant lux tax (not that he would) do sign Paul George at?

jevjnd likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

OKC isn't as good a team as San Antonio. So yes the issue maybe they currently aren't good enough to win it all

That being said, if Harden plays well and two guys get hot the Rockets can beat anyone and that's very possible throughout the entirety of a championship run

jevjnd and don grahamleone like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seriously - you could even call us a "make or miss" team.

When will we escape the tyranny of having to make shots to be successful?

C'mon Morey, stop being so enamored with shiny objects and kicking the can down the road and extending series.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not arguing. Are you?

btw: if you look at my main contributions to threads during the playoffs, I'm not arguing. I'm presenting video plays, describing them, to allow others (as well as myself) to digest what is happening on the court and talk about what we see. And further adding stats. None of that inherently requires an argument. I just think many here always engage cfnet with D&D rules of debate where discussion is inherently argumentative and bring that to basketball discussion whereby you have to take a side. I don't view basketball that way. Closest I get (or hope too) is dispelling falsehood with that sidetrack discussion ... and do so with video, stats and play books to all to consume and discuss more than trying to persuade one person.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Seems pretty disengious to say, "yeah when we hit our threes we win."

The true statement is: "When we hit our threes we have absolutely BLOWN OUT the Spurs such that Pops waves the white flag at the end of the 3rd, and doesn't even bring Kashi back into the game."

Patience, jbasket, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  8. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Having said that, can you or someone start a thread for Game 5 discussing strategy/adjustments etc? I don't have thread starting privileges unfortunately.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was a good win but one where there were several opportunities for things to go the Spurs way. I agree with the other posters we can't count on always going lights out from the three and with Nene out finding points in the paint and second chance points is going to be very important. At the sametime it is troubling that there were many stretches where the Spurs seemed to score at will.

One area that I think we really need to watch out for is switches when Harden, Williams or Gordon is stuck defending Gasol or Aldridge in the paint. They are just overmatched in size and strength and worse could get one of our critical scorers hurt.

I don't know whether the Rockets have solved the Spurs' solution but I think it's still going to be very tough to close this out. Leaving out strategy the Spurs are tough and have a lot of pride.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i beg to disagree, in the first game we caught a lot of rebounds and 50/50 balls... that has won the game not the 3s ..one can argue though that hitting 3s early gives us a lot of confidence so we rebound and play better in general

heypartner likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wouldn't be so sure. Looking at how the LAST THREE games were officiated, anything is possible.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Fun? What's fun about any of this? Clutchfans is only for serious fans like @Pen15clubber and @Os Trigonum.

Os Trigonum and Pen15clubber like this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What did you do to lose them? Did you go full Aussie Aussie Aussie? haha

What do you want to see in the first post of the thread?

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not missing as many wide open lay ups and 3's. Solved.

15. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I think I have to be a contributing member to start a thread?

Anyway, regarding game 5, with RYNO playing the 5, I'm wondering what the Spurs can do to counter that? Trapping maybe? ICE defense? Those were some of the things I had in mind

16. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

17. rocketsmetalspd

Going forward it will interesting how Harrell can play a key role in the teams success.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

OKC was a 6th seed playoff team. They are not the Spurs.

If we got Paul George, I hope we would stop this philosophy.

Here's my question - how come we either shoot lights out from 3 point range or are atrocious? Why don't we EVER see a game with us shooting 32-37% so far?

You are arguing - you are delusional if you think you are doing anything else. Ok, unless that's being an ass. I stated my opinion on this board and you and Sammy went to town in attack mode across multiple threads - in fact he started a thread because he didn't like what I wrote. An not only are you arguing, you are going on personal attacks as well as weird psychoanalysis of my motives and continually talking about the D&D and taking sides when I am not anything but a fan sharing opinions. Oddly enough, all the people who have issues in the D&D come crawling out of the woodwork to jump on the attempted pile on - so i see what you do here as an immature petty little thing you like to do. I do see your joke of a basketball analysis you put on - and see them on the level of basketballholic, I think there are seriously flawed and I don't really engage you because I know you will go in personal attack mode and frankly, I don't like you. You're an ass and you lower my enjoyment of being a Rockets fan on this board.

Maybe you should start dispelling your own half-assed analysis instead of trying to laugh them off as "fun facts". That mirror is ready for you to look in.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You're so funny and wise. And good to know you think 19 for 43 is normal for what this team need to win.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]