1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give me one good reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Jan 13, 2018.

1. arubato

arubato Member

So what do you want him to do? Stop shooting 3's? His job is to shoot 3's. Even if he's missing shots, he is still doing his job.

2. aroundtheblock2

0-17 over the last 2 games and he's shooting less than 34% on the season. I'm honestly not sure if he actually should be shooting 3s anymore because he's been terrible at it for most of the year.

3. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Anyone that is worried about EG it is saying to play green over him needs to stop watching basketball

nacho bidness likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He is too good of a shooter not to eventually break out of his slump this season, but the only way that will happen is if he has both the confidence and the green light to keep shooting. Green's performance his first few games here, that's the ceiling of his career. That's why he's bounced around so much. Eric Gordon on the other hand? When he gets his stroke going again, can easily hit that star territory. So let's see, Green the perennial journeyman or Ego the potential star derailed by injuries and finally healthy? Yeah, gotta say I am with coach on this one. Keep shooting Ego!

Let me put it another way. We have 37 games left in the season, plus all stars break. Which side has better odds in this gamble; does Ego find his stroke before or after our season ends? My money is on before so again, keep shooting Ego!

#124 chenjy9, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    arubato and RiceRockets like this.
  5. arubato

arubato Member

So what do you want him to do? Pray and hope that his shooting stroke will come back or shoot his way out of this funk? I'm going with the latter obviously.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That isn't what I said. You took it all out of context.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

+ 9 last night
    team high +15 vs gsw

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's amazing how when someone is in a "season slump" they are still a great shooter depending on who they are. It's amazing how "it's only half a season and you can't go by that" can be used as a reference to how a player is shooting, yet season stats are used to boast on players and vote them as All Stars. You can't say stats are meaningless, depending on the situation. You can't brag on one player about his stats, and say the stats don't mean anything and it's just a slump for someone else. You can't say someone is your best shooter if they aren't doing it in games. It's all so hypocritical to slam other players who aren't hitting 3's year after year, yet make a fuss over me saying someone who isn't shooting them well this year shouldn't take SO MANY, especially if forcing shots when others are wide open, every single game.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. 1Deep

1Deep Member

EG's shot is so broken right now I don't even know what to say..
    I cringe when he goes up to shoot now..I never used to do that..
    I'm not saying he should stop shooting because we definitely need him to find his stroke but 2-3 less threes a game while he's in this funk cldn't hurt

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

So when he "finds his stroke" it won't be a streak of good shots? All of a sudden when he "finds his stroke" after 43 games he will be consistent and not have up and down streaks? I hope you are right, because then he will be helping us instead of hurting us with all the missed shots in close games and in the playoffs.

CapelaOnlyFan and hakeem94 like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree. Funny people do it one-sided here.

#132 deb4rockets, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I never said he should stop shooting either. Somehow people picked out a few words of my post and changed the entire context. My issue was on quantity of shots.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Should Gordon shoot less 3s? No
    Should Green take some of Gordon’s minutes when his shot isn’t falling AND he’s not being effective? Yes

Gordon has to play his game, he was very effective last night even while being a complete disaster from deep. I wanted to see Green initially but EG still made his mark attacking the basket. He doesn’t get those looks if defenders aren’t worried about his jumper. And defenders won’t be worried about his jumper if he doesn’t shoot.

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You call this thread stupid because you don't agree. You call me an idiot for suggesting something you don't agree with. I am simply giving my opinion on here and don't come on here to be ridiculed or attacked. I wasn't hating on Gordon or calling him a worthless piece of trash as some do about other players. I want Gordon to do good, but felt that at times he is forcing shots instead of passing to guys with wide open looks.

You can say he has a better career ave than most the team, but I am talking present here. If you look at his career ave it is based on 5.8 shots a game and not 9.5. So maybe he wasn't forcing as many shots in the past, and was taking more open looks. Who knows, but no need to be ugly towards me as a person. I do want him to do well. That wasn't my point.

#135 deb4rockets, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Vindicator likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree with most of what you are saying. My point was the amount of 3's when some are forced and other guys have more wide open looks. I feel he would be more effective if he balanced the 3's and attacking the basket a little more is all when his long ball is off. I also believe in feeding the fuel to the guys who are on fire, and it seems that he doesn't do that as much. Maybe part of that is seeing the difference when Harden and Paul are in there and get that ball to the open men so much.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice thinking

hes drives are insane...i love it!! kudos to rockets and medical staff for making this man healthy...or perhaps harden taught him how to stay healthy?

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Shooting, like most things in sports, is all about repetition; you keep doing things the same way and you are going to get comparable results. Once he fixes his shot, a shooter like Ego is going to keep shooting in a very similar way each shot afterwards. That's what we call getting into rhythm. There is a reason why we say shooters are streaky. Some are more so than others, but all shooters have slumps at some point that they need to break out of and the ONLY WAY they can do that is to keep shooting the ball. So yes, I want Ego to keep shooting the ball even if it means taking shots away from Green, who as surprising as he has been, is still just Gerald Green.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I thought he found his rhythm many times this year, and then he went back to below par. He had a fantastic game against the Timberwolves last week and got into a rhythm. Wish I could believe that once he fixes his shot he is going to keep shooting in a very similar way each shot afterwards. So far it hasn't happened. Still shooting up and down up and down. Right now at .290 for the month I am wanting more than ever for him to fix whatever is broke and stay in a rhythm more than you may believe. I only want good things for our players and our team.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

youd think they know by now

hakeem94 likes this.