1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girl's Organs Vanish after Vacation Death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, May 15, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A really horrific story.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...-family-believes-they-may-have-been-sold?lite

Girl's organs vanish after vacation death; family believes they may have been sold

A girl who died while vacationing in India was missing her internal organs when she returned to Britain, according to her parents who fear she may have been the victim of the illegal trade in human body parts.

Gurkiren Kaur, 8, died moments after a doctor treating her for dehydration in India’s Punjab region gave her an injection, according to her family.

When her body was returned to the U.K., it was found to be missing all of her internal organs. The organs have still not been located. Her grief-stricken family believes they may have been removed for sale.

A member of parliament in the girl’s home city of Birmingham, England, has demanded an international investigation into the case. Shabana Mahmood, a lawmaker with the opposition Labour Party, told ITV News she had raised the “deeply suspicious circumstances” of the case with British Foreign Secretary William Hague.

The Birmingham Mail newspaper, which first reported the story, said the commercial trade of human organs remained big business in India, despite having been banned in 1994.

A local politician, who is also a friend of the family, said there were "many unanswered questions" about Gurkiren's death and suggested it was "very possible" the girl was deliberately killed for her organs.

"It does happen in India, and since this case was first reported we have been contacted by other families who say their relatives have died and had organs removed without an explanation," Birmingham City Councillor Narinder Kooner said.

Gurkiren was visiting India on her first overseas vacation when she became ill on April 2 with a mild case of dehydration, according to her family. After being given an injection at a clinic, her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she quickly became unresponsive.

Her mother, Amrit, and father, Santokh, took her to a nearby hospital where she was declared dead. Doctors promised to perform only a biopsy in order to record a cause of death, in accordance with Indian requirements.

However, a British coroner called Gurkiren's parents to say her body had arrived back in the U.K. without any of the organs necessary to investigate her cause of death. It is common practice in Britain for an autopsy to be carried out in U.K. on citizens who die overseas.

Gurkiren's parents allege the clinic claims to have lost medical records relating to the case, and that attempts to investigate it have been frustrated by Indian authorities.

They say the clinic's doctor refused to tell them what had been in the injection.

Her mother Amrit, who is a postal worker, told ITV News: "I said, ‘What is the injection for? She doesn't need an injection she just needs a saline drip for half an hour or 45 minutes.’ He didn't answer me at all he just gave me a blank look and totally ignored me and just inserted the needle into a syringe and as soon as he pushed it in her neck flipped backwards.

"Her eyes rolled over and she turned a grayish-whitish color. She just blinked twice and her mouth was left open."

Kooner said the case raised many questions.

"Did the clinic doctor have her organs in mind when he gave her this injection?" she asked. "Or was she the victim of medical incompetence who then had the organs removed by somebody at the hospital? What has happened to these organs? We just don’t know."

Kooner conceded that it was possible the girl had been the victim of a series of individual acts of incompetence, but added: "Gurkiren was a happy, healthy girl who was laughing and joking until this injection. We will never be able to investigate the cause of her death until these organs are found."

The girl’s parents also remain convinced of a sinister explanation for the missing organs. “I knew my innocent child had been murdered,” Amrit told the Birmingham Mail.

In a statement, Britain’s Foreign Office said: "We can confirm the death of a British national in Punjab, India, on April 2. We are providing consular assistance in the case and cannot comment further."

In addition to the black market for organs, there is a legitimate global trade in human tissue taken from bodies - supposedly with the prior consent of the deceased.

A recent investigation found that, in the United States, an estimated two million products derived from human tissue are sold each year, a figure that has doubled over the past decade.

Mark Gough, reporter with NBC partner ITV News, contributed to this report.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I will ask again.

Why would anyone in their right mind go to India on "vacation"?

1 person likes this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

one thing India is famous for.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The family are probably from India originally and might've been there to visit other family members or see the ancestral home. Besides that India is a huge and diverse country with a very long history. If given the opportunity I would definitely visit India. I would just be really be careful about getting sick.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

...or looking sexy.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Well I suppose this is an improvement from the usual reports of organs being inserted into female tourists in India.

1 person likes this.
  7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

First problem, going to a clinic for dehydration. Second problem, letting them inject her with something without any explination. Third, I personally would have stayed with my kids body the entire time, but who would have thought.

I'd be going to India with a couple friends, find that 'doctor,' and start to get some answers... one way or another.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Couldnt you just goto Nevada and stay on an Indian reservation if you want the Indian experience? The Taj Mahal is there too

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Females just can't catch a break in India. Stay away from India ladies.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Organ stealing...quite common place in India...ie. Slumdog Millionaire...

Sad story...

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

this is what I first think of when the phrase "organ donor" appears

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aclS1pGHp8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

India, what a craphole country

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hate stories about kids deaths... especially ones like this. Not laughing matter. If it was my kid and I'm in that clinic, my kid isn't the only one leaving it dead. Incompetence or on purpose... though it seems pretty clear that it's the latter in this case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-daughter-murdered-organs-Indian-clinic.html

^ this article has more information. Parents tried to stay with the body post death.
    There are also pictures of the girl and family.

just sad.

14. mulletman

mulletman Member

maybe some cannibals from the US outsourced food procurement after seeing what happened to one of their own in NY

15. gambingo

gambingo Member

That is horrible. RIP little one.

I can't imagine what that family is going through.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i would visit india in a nanosecond.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Have you ever been out of Texas?

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Well your a guy so it's all good. I think even our most vagina male BBS member could handle 10-15 would be Indian rapists. The ladies...not so much.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

She sounds hideous!

[​IMG]

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have visited several countries in Europe and Asia.

I have never been to Texas.

Thanks for playing though.