1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ginger?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WickBrunson, Dec 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True...if demand rises, then the price will drop. But Kamen said on Good Morning America that he "hopes" that the commercial model (which won't be available for another year) will be at $3000. It sounded like he had very real doubts as to whether or not the price could be set that low. If it is much more than $3000 commercially, then I don't see this thing ever really taking off. That is just too expensive a product to hope that a trend develops.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ummmm...if demand goes up, so does the price...it's more likely they'll drop the price to force demand up.

no one is going to pay anything close to $3K for this thing. this is an overhyped joke. if it doesn't replace the bicycle, then it deserves very little of the attention the inventor brought upon it...and even the advocates on this board are saying it won't. certainly not revolutionary...and doesn't get me closer to my dream of the US being able to be completely independent from Middle East oil.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't see how it's any better than a bike. If a bike gets stolen, you only lose 300$. If this thing could hover that would be something different and very useful, but as it stands, this thing bites.

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

While I do think that this is a revolutionary invention, I'm still on the fence as to how impressed I am.

I can't help but imagine the first responses when the automobile first came around. I'd imagine that there were many who thought the car a ridiculous thing compared to horses and carriages...initially, at least, until Henry Ford mass produced them and made the auto truly an affordable thing for the masses. Initially, the car wasn't much faster (if at all) than a good horse, and the car had to rely on things that no one ever thought of before: Air in not-so-good tires, gasoline, mechanical problems/maintenance, etc. No one had ever thought of any of that stuff before.

While the technology here is truly great what with these gyroscopes and all, I think this is the most incredible aspect of it all:
    Hell, I probably spend a couple grand a year on gas anyway.

The future of this thing should be interesting, to say the least.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Lynus -- the technology may be fantastic, but is it practical? does it make your life better by using it?? there are all sorts of technologies that are super-cool, but don't mean jack when it comes to actual human use.

yes, the automobile was looked upon skeptically...but eventually people realized the clear improvements from existing technologies...i don't see that being the case here. It does not replace the automobile...it's price at this point seemingly eliminates the chance of it replacing the bicycle...i just don't see it as revolutionary...what revolution??? what will be different??? I don't see people getting out of their cars to make the commute in these things...and since we don't see people riding on scooters around Disney parks or college campuses en masse, i don't see why they'd be willing to throw that much money down on this thing.

it was billed as revolutionary...it's simply not.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Sorry man, but those gyroscopes and all this self-balancing stuff is revolutionary, in this application at least. I don't know enough about the whole thing to make any real predictions, but like I said, its the future of this thing that is so interesting. Gyroscopes in a 2-wheeled vehicle that make it next to impossible to fall off of, with no brakes, no accelerator, and no steering apparatus other than your body weight is pretty freakin' revolutionary to me.

Right now I agree that it is not practical. However, I imagine the price will drop in the future, much like with the Model T Ford did 100 years ago. I also imagine the top speed will increase as IT grows up. Perhaps IT will lead to further things, i.e. other vehicles using similar technology or something.

Hell, I don't know what will happen, but it will certainly be interesting, which is the only prediction I've made. Its not like I said everyone who posted before me was wrong or something.

The comparison I made to the car was a simple one. The first cars had steam engines with a top speed of about 5mph. That lead to the internal combustion engine we all know today. The basic design of engines as we now know them have been basically unchanged for nearly 100 years, but cars as a whole have improved dramatically in numerous ways. Perhaps this thing will have a similar future.

It'll be interesting to see where IT goes, which is all I said in the first place.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

I think this thing has a bright future. It will never replace cars or airplanes for long trips, but as the technology advances and the price comes down, the uses will become more apparent.

Bicycles take energy to use - and we all know Americans are lazy. Plus, they aren't great for hauling things. Segway will allow you to carry simple items with you and will have a cargo transport mechanism shortly after release to allow you to carry up to 300lb.

Cars may protect you from the elements are are obviously much more practical for traveling long distance, but on college campuses, through towns - even bigger cities, for deliveries, and for many, many other uses, there is a definate market for this product. Again, the price has to come down somewhat, but I can see neighborhoods being developed with these in mind - especially upscale neighborhoods at first - as well as college campuses being retrofitted for these machines.

Plus, they aren't going to kill the environment (no emmisions) and for many people will be faster and easier to ride than a bicycle, especially in hilly environments.

As Dean Kamen would say, you have to think outside of what you normally think of to see the benefits for these machines. I definately would buy one if I had the money - and after they come out, I hope to have the money. It'd be a heck of a lot better than my car right now, especially for being here around Florida St Univ.

8. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11497-2001Dec7.html

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't believe the use of gyroscopes this way is completely revolutionary. I remember seeing a Discovery channel show talking about this invention that was a high priced wheelchair that used gyroscopes in similar fashion to help climb stairs and balance...might have been same inventor, though. The thing costed a lot more than 3K, but was designed to keep people from having to remodel homes, businesses etc.

Its a cool invention. I don't see it taking off, but I can see that it is an important achievement that may lead to more fuel efficient vehicules. If I lived in a small town...I might get this.

10. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Yea that was invented by this guy too

11. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

how freakin dumb is this?? so when the police have to chase down someone, what are they gonna do, ride down the guy at 12 freakin mph! or are they gonna have to get off and run? you know someone is gonna jack a 3000 dollar peice of equipment if its just laying there.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

jeez!...what is wrong with two legs?:rolleyes:... I mean people are getting fatter and fatter...if this idea takes off, more and more people will just get fatter! I can hear it now: "Look mommy, Fat man on little scooter! Fat man on little scooter!"...