1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ginger?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WickBrunson, Dec 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. WickBrunson

WickBrunson Member

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah I'm watching the show but I don't see what the big deal is yet.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From reading about it, I think it's awesome. I like this quote from Kamen's website better :

"You have teenagers thinking they're going to make millions as NBA stars when that's not realistic for even 1 percent of them. Becoming a scientist or engineer is."
    —Dean Kamen

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

5. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Anyone got a pic of "it"/Ginger?

6. rockHEAD

7. rockHEAD

I thought this was a Gilligan's DJ Island thread...

[​IMG]

and there was going to be some info here on The Movie Starrrr, Ginger.. and maybe Mary Ann too?

nope... just some new "people mover"

:D
    rH

#7 rockHEAD, Dec 3, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I just don't think brothas gonna give up the 18"wheels with lo-pro-rims, bass in the trunk, and a cupholder for your coffee for this thing.
    I just don't think Yuppies are gonna give up their Navigater, Expedition, MEga-SUVs for this thing?

Cmon, we are Americans, fat and wasteful!:rolleyes:

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Did anyone catch the show on abc ? How fast will this thing move ?

10. DAROckets

Your right but I can see these things all over the college campus or in a downtown area.

11. rockHEAD

yeah... where am i going to hang my fuzzy dice?

rH

12. DAROckets

battlefields ??? :rolleyes: I'd hate to be the poor schmuck going into battle on one of those things...CHAAAAAARGE :eek:

13. Band Geek Mobster

I don't know about this thing being popular on college campuses, it's not much better than a bike, and this thing's costing 3 grand apiece according to that article...

14. DAROckets

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I thought the idea was to take the technology behind it and create better cars or something?

You mean to tell me this is all it is going to be....a stupid scooter:rolleyes: for $3000?

I think they look kind of gay and if I wanted to be gay...I would buy the South Park version :D .

16. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

All that hype for a cheesy little battery powered scooter. What a bust......:(

17. davo

davo Contributing Member

Kind of a let down. Buy the one from sharper image and save yourself $2800.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview.jhtml?&sku=SI700TEA

It seems that all the technology is in keeping it upright and balanced- big deal - humans are amazingly adept at bancing - just look at the way we walk and ride bicycles. Other than being faster, this thing is no advance over the cheapo kids toy version.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I as well must admit that I am severly disappointed in this revealing. I know Kamen said it wouldn't be anything amazing, but he still seems to think it will replace cars in some instances. I don't see "IT" ever being widely used commercially. First of all, it looks EXTREMELY dorky for anyone riding one of these. Second of all, it is slow, costs a great deal, and requires charging every 6 hours of use. Where can it be charged? How long will the charging take? I am betting these are details that the public won't want to hear the answer to.

It is no better than a bike, in most cases, and MUCH cheaper. I was hoping for some kind of new combustion engine that used something other than fossil fuels, and was cheap and reliable.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

19. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I think it's an amazing piece of technology and that it does have a lot of potential. It's suffering (a la the iPod) from being overhyped.

Keep in mind: the $3000 price is artificially high the way dvd players and vcr's were when they first came out. With (if) demand rising, then the price will drop.

It's supposedly very tough to fall off, and very (as in no training needed) easy to maneuver. This would be a god send for tourists (for example) along Chicago's Magnificent Mile who don't want to bike or rollerblade. I'd also expect it be far more popular abroad for transportation---where fuel prices are higher.

Their doing it right by marketing it commercially. People will get used to seeing it, hearing about it, seeing changes in infrastructure for it, In time, it might become very popular for short jaunts here and there and the form factor will certainly evolve. I don't expect it to replace bicycles and NEVER, EVER cars, but it could become another viable piece of transportation technology.

Take a look at the new Time magazine.

#19 gettinbranded, Dec 3, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  20. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

For that revelation, give this guy a Nobel prize in economics!

:p