1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gillispie to Arkansas?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by gucci888, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Didn't Todd Graham leave Rice a few days after signing a contract extension?

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/In5ZkSoh4so"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/In5ZkSoh4so" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thought everyone might find this pretty funny. Made by an Arkansas fan that has done a ton of similar videos.

3. SirCharlesFan

FWIW, Dana Altman of Creighton University is about to be introduced as the next head coach of the University of Arkansas hoops team. The presser is on TV right now in Arkansas. I think it's a good hire and much more in line with realistic candidates for the UA. I know a lot of Arkansas fans thought they were going to get some huge name to come to Fayetteville, but I was never in that boat. Arkansas' last hire from Creighton? Eddie Sutton. Arkansas' last hire from The MVC? Nolan Richardson. Hopefully this hire works out as well as those two.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

That last hire from there really worked out. Hope it works out for you guys again.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ROFL. Newb. :D

6. RocketManJosh

Can't believe Altman changed his mind. You guys just cant win.

7. SirCharlesFan

From the sounds of it, a major scandal could be ready to go down in Arkasnas . . .

8. RocketManJosh

So now that Donovan has turned down Kentucky, it looks like the fire is heating up again for Gillispie.

The difference is that Barnes is as much in the conversation as Billy is. My guess is that one of these two is gone within the next week or so. I sure hope it isn't Billy.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If Barnes goes to UK, Gillespie calls UT.

10. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

thats hilarious

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

it's funny because it's true.

12. RocketManJosh

I'm sure he is going to go out of his way to call UT. If they called him, I'm not saying there is no way he'd listen.

If you think the Longhorns are such a great program that he would initiate the conversation, you are truly delusional. You almost sound like Arkansas fan that thought the best coaches would be begging to be their coach.

13. gr8-1

Uh, I don't know if you realize this, but coaching in Austin is sort of a big deal.

Arkansas? Hell, dana altman just shot them down. billy clyde must have known something.

Put it this way, you think Barnes would even consider ATM? Ever?

14. RocketManJosh

The Longhorns and Ron Burgundy do seem to have a lot in common. It's almost scary.

I actually hope Barnes gets taken away and the Longhorns make an offer to BCG.

1) He takes it and A&M knows where he really stood (and would have been gone soon anyway). I'd rather get the pain over with early if its going to happen.

2) He turns it down and that is just another boost for recruiting

Regardless of what Barnes does, they are going to be ok. I'm sure they'll get plenty of good coaching choices and will still get enough recruits.

15. gr8-1

Yep. Wasn't Deliverance shot on the ATM campus?

16. RocketManJosh

well ky was granted permission to talk to bcg .. not a good sign

17. gr8-1

YEP. Has to be a reason BG didn't sign that contract. Barnes actually shot UK down.

18. RocketManJosh

Would it have mattered if he did sign the contract?

Well ESPN was reporting earlier that he took himself out of the running after he found out he was not the one that they wanted. I don't think anyone knows for sure, and I certainly know that you can't say for sure that he was the one they wanted because many sources are saying they didn't want him and others said they did.

Anyways ... Looks like BCG to UK is a done deal. No hard feelings for him. I'd probably do the same thing. We should be thankful that we had 3 good years. He is bringing us new facilities, and we at least proved we can be decent, which is a lot more than we could say for quite a few years. Good luck at UK.

I hope we can bring someone else in that can recruit TX because I believe that was the real key to BCGs success. Gonna be tough, but at least he proved it could be done.

I'm assuming our 5 star recruit is likely gone now.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Gillispie awaits offer (which he'll likely accept) from Kentucky

Gary Parrish April 5, 2007
    By Gary Parrish
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Gary your opinion!

Kentucky received permission to speak with Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie on Thursday, and two sources close to the situation told CBS SportsLine.com that assuming an official offer is made he will likely accept and become the Wildcats' next coach.

A message left on Gillispie's cell phone late Thursday was not immediately returned.

"Coach Gillispie is one of the top coaches in the country and we certainly do not want to lose him,” said A&M athletic director Bill Byrne. β€œAt the same time, I do not want to stand in the way of any member of my department who wants to explore another option if he or she feels that is in their best interest.”

Gillispie appears to be Kentucky's third choice after Florida's Billy Donovan and Texas' Rick Barnes previously told athletic director Mitch Barnhart they are not interested in changing jobs. Gillispie agreed to an extension with A&M last week that would pay him $1.75 million annually. But it's believed he never actually signed the contract, and even if he did he could certainly get out of it to leave for Kentucky.

The Aggies finished 27-7 this season.

They lost to Memphis in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10111025

20. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

If these reports are true then Gillispie would have put himself in an almost unimaginable and opportunistic coaching position. Think about this- he started coaching at UTEP in 2002 and in just about five years later he could have the opportunity to be named the head coach at one of the most historic and reputable college basketball programs in America- right up there with UCLA, Indiana, and Duke. No offense to A&M, but for him UK is a job opportunity of a lifetime. It's like being offered a VP/CEO position with a Fortune 500 company and turning it down to stay at a state/regional conglomerate. With all that being said as a Longhorn I'm glad Rick Barnes is sticking around, but best of luck to both Gillispie at UK and A&M as they look for a replacement head coach (presumably).