1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert Arenas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davestrate, Nov 14, 2010.

1. davestrate

davestrate Member

;) :) Hear me out....Morey goes on and on about wanting a superstar so please tell me, how is Gilbert Arenas not a genuine superstar? Last night he was 30/6/4/2 meaning he's still got game coming back from injury. Also can play both guard positions which is something Adelman often salivates over, a 2-way player. Can hit jump shots, gets to the line, above average assist man, and excellent free throw shooter.

If we trade Battier/Jeffries, according to nba trade machine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2cxfcem), the numbers would work.

To some he may sound like an extremely overpriced Aaron Brooks but thus far in his career Brooks hasn't been the closer that this team is desperately in need for. Yes I know Ted Leonsis keeps telling Arenas and everyone that he's there to stay and what not, but come on let's be real...he'd kill to have his salary off the books and that's exactly what he'd accomplish by taking JJ's and Battier's expiring deals plus get some leadership/stability in Battier that his young guns are in much need of.

I believe the Wizards would be so ecstatic about ridding themselves of Gil's contract that they may even throw in Al Thornton to replace Battier in the starting lineup in exchange for a first round draft pick (either one of the knicks picks). This guy Thornton in my honest opinion is an allstar waiting to happen. Kid's got so much potential and if it doesnt pan out then think of it as a one year rental since his contract is up after this season.

Think of a lineup that looks like this:

pg-Arenas/Brooks/Lowry/Smith
    sg-Martin/Lee/Taylor
    sf-Thornton/Budinger
    pf-Scola/Hayes/Patterson
    c- Yao/Miller/Hill

Not to mention Arenas, Martin, Scola, Hill, Hayes, Lowry, Brooks, Lee, Budinger all playing multiple positions. Great flexibility to interchange players night in and night out based on matchups.

Between now and February deadline we can experiment with such lineup and if Melo/Iggy/Granger/Wallace become available pull the trigger if so desired.

1 person likes this.
  2. G-Money

G-Money Member

**** NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No. Gilbert is a cowardly troublemaker.

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Another injury prone sub all-star?

1 person likes this.
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i gotta say that it could be the type of move that lets him start over....he's not a bad guy, just plays around too much...not sure if he's really changed though.

I wouldnt be completely against it, as he still has game, but depends on who we trade for him..

6. davestrate

davestrate Member

Troublemaker that's so fun to watch play, please tell me you wouldnt be psyched about going to the toyota center just to see him play very much like the knicks attendance skyrocketted after T-mac got there?

The way i see it is a breath of fresh air with a great humanitarian because that guy is a model citizen in every other aspect. Heck he can carry his gun down here in tx without the fear of disrespecting our nation in any way.

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

While the Wizards would no doubt want to dump that monster salary, with Wall being injured it is highly unlikely they would do it soon. But I do agree, he is probably the most likely of a big trade move Morey can make this season, although the question is, why even try it?

At the mid point, Arenas or not isn't going to turn us into a contender and the fact is the former Agent Zero has had a good deal of injury issues in the past. Why gamble on another injury prone player, when we already got Martin, Yao and now Lowry plus Budinger are getting into the act?

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

We want to be tougher.

We don't want a guy that sits out because he was "afraid of being booed."

9. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Arenas has at no point been a superstar, isn't and probably won't ever be even as good as he was before his injuries AND he has one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

10. davestrate

davestrate Member

True, im all about giving him and others a second shot. In a whole new team and environment he could flourish and become the great player that everyone knows he can be. Think more recently Michael Beasley and the dramatic impact he's causing on the Timberwolves.

11. davestrate

davestrate Member

He has more of a chance than T-Mac that's for sure....

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Man we need a true PG, not another Aaron brooks type of player, we need to get tougher not softer.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

As much as I want Giblet.. I mean Gilbert... out of Washington for John Wall's growth I really don't want him here.

Though I will say, I said the same thing about Ron-Ron and he was amusing and not as much of a cancer as I thought he would be.

I can tell you this from following Washington so far.. he and John don't do well on the court together. Mostly because everyone defers to Arenas and it throws off the whole team dynamic.

14. makman

makman Member

Didn't read your post..... he's a cancer to a team, injury prone, and paid far too much.

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

jeffries, battier and a draft pick for Al Thornton....and an Arenas?? Where do I sign up?

I wouldnt jump the gun yet though...I would wait up until February ironically. January the earliest. I would want to see if arenas could still play nicely and what Thornton is about.

16. makman

makman Member

Now I read it, can't have three pgs but if Brooks was odd man out it could be considered. Rather have Brooks/Jefferies be gone, but then again without Jefferies who's going to fire up the team pregame??

17. davestrate

davestrate Member

I wouldn't go as far as labeling him as a "cancer" to the team. They guy took less money in order to allow the Wizards to sign Antawn Jamison, how many rising players would do that for their team??? yeah.....exactly! The guy is just straight up nice and playful, i see no harm in that. I'm sure he's liked by every single one of his current and past teammates, GUARANTEED

18. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

19. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

No, he's just cancerous, as KG would say. ;)

20. makman

makman Member

Even Crittendon? I wouldn't guarantee that....