1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert Arenas Throwing Money Around

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pugsly8422, Jan 27, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I hate how my neighbors are always asking me to check on their sharks for them while they're out of town......

Gilbert Arenas spends a lot of money to maintain his sharks

It's necessary to point out, before we start pointing fingers and laughing, that the court battle between Gilbert Arenas(notes) and his former girlfriend is nothing to cackle over. There are children in the middle, and Gilbert's ex is trying to wrangle a settlement that is in the best interests of those children.

That said, wow. That's a lot of money you've spent, there, Gilbert Arenas. And even in the middle of a six-year, $111 million contract (that followed a six-year, nearly $64 million contract), there's absolutely no way Gilbert Arenas can keep up this lifestyle for much longer.

What lifestyle? According to court records obtained by the Washington Post, this lifestyle:

There's a lot about how Arenas spent his money, based on her understanding of the household finances: "he states he makes 1.5 million per month," read the notes. Arenas lavished plenty on their Great Falls home, dropping $100,000 on landscaping, $5,000 a month for housekeepers, $675 "per car" washing, and $1 million for his backyard pool and grotto. His sharks are expensive: $5,000 a month to feed them and $1,500 for a keeper to drive from Columbus to take care of them.

He was extravagant when it came to toys for the children -- ages 5, 4 and 2 -- buying a $60,000 train set and an $8,000 toy Mercedes-Benz electric car, and dropping between $30,000 and $40,000 during a shopping spree at FAO Schwartz. (Arenas also told this story on the blog, but didn't divulge the amount of money spent.)

"His sharks are expensive." Whoa, boy.

There is some debate as to whether or not Arenas, currently shooting under 40 percent from the field in Orlando while playing on a surgically reconstructed left knee, will even be able to play beyond his current contract, which expires in 2014. So this is just about it for him, and it's not a stretch to say that Arenas (though that contract is easily the league's worst) will be traded a few more times before the deal is done.

So please, Gilbert, let's refrain from building a shark-filled grotto in Orlando. And maybe look into goldfish futures, back in the District of Columbia.

Also, do right by the woman who is raising your kids. And say "hi" to the sharks for me

Link

Pugs

2. izeroi

izeroi Member

I guess he missed the "I'm Antoine Walker and I have no money" special on ESPN.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Situation

The Situation Member

So will he sell his sharks on eBay when he goes broke?

4. yo

yo Contributing Member

Pffft. No laser beams? Ain't *****.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Seems like a wise way to spend to me :)

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I have a family friend that lives like a block away from Gilbert's house in Great Falls. We drove by it this Chrismas, it's doesn't look that big and extravagant compared to the mansions in that area.

He does have a huge ass artificial pool/cave/waterfall thing in the back yard that's probably ridiculously expensive to build and maintain

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

He's doing his part of keeping the economy going. :grin:

Kidding aside, the NBA players rep should get these bankrupt players to do a talk about losing all their money. Seems like too many of these guys don't know how to handle their cash flows. All they need to do is hire an acountant to help then understand what level of lifestyle they can expect to live, problem solved.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

"Sure NBA Players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too." - Patrick Ewing

9. showtang043

showtang043 Member

interesting they try to glorify the 'woman raising your kids' in that one, isn't she the one who cheated with shaquille o'neal while she was being so responsible in this? IT is kind of sad to think that there are these girls who know all they have to do is get pregnant by one of these ballplayers and even in divorce they are fixed. Its one thing to have to attend to the child's finances, but to a gf who is not your wife, outside of the house,car that she needs and will prbably be big and nice if its for the kids... i dont know

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

old news...this was first reported over a year ago. Yahoo had pictures of that hot-tub-within-cave thing he built next to his pool, has a TV inside i believe.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

60 thousand $ toy train sets?

what?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

100K a month on landscaping? That makes no sense at all. Golf courses don't cost that much to maintain.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I remember reading a few years ago that he has pure oxygen pumped into his house. Apparently normal air isnt good enough for Gilbert.

Go check out FAO Schwartz in New York and see those prices. Its pretty easy to waste 60k on stupid stuff like train sets if you're that foolish.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ahhh our good friend kelly "sandy vagina" dwyer again :)

considering the fact that there's thousands of families in america alone who regularly spend just as lavishly as this, if not more, one has to wonder maybe kelly's particular problem in this unspectacular instance is simply the skin color of the spender

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Didn't you know, Kelly popped bottles with Gilbert at a club last year. It takes "balls" to write about him in a negative fashion after that.

How about a standing ovation and a medal of honor for Kelly. For letting his fellow Americans know what they can and cannot buy for their children.

#16 Honey Bear, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  16. mrjuandiego1988

i wish i can rep this....but you know how that goes ps check the sig lol :grin:

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

man thats nothing...only 60000 on a toy train set? pffffffffffffft......

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He is going to end up broke by the time he is 35. He will be like Iverson and Walker, trying to make it in the d-league or Turkey.

He is the next candidate for bankruptcy. He could follow Hakeem and Magic Johnson's lead and live rich for the rest of life, but he chooses to go to the Latrell Sprewell route.

Magic Johnson made less money than Arenas, but he won't go bankrupt. He just gets richer and richer with his business.

#19 BetterThanEver, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

um those numbers tend to indicate he's spent 1 month's income on all that crap.

Big deal....