1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Gilbert Arenas Takes Shot At Coach K

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by North Star, Jan 25, 2007.

1. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

You don't even know what you're talking about. When asked who was the best player in the NBA he responded with 'Nash or Kobe." When asked if he thought he deserved the MVP he said his vote would go to Nash.

He uses those things as motivation. D'Antoni and Gilbert are cool. McMillan and Coach K are just who he uses to motivate him. He's nothing like Kobe

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gilbert should have been on the team Period

Rocket River

3. KAS13

It's hilarious because the one thing we lacked (which supposedly was the issue we we were going to address) was outside sooting and we cut the best 3 pt shooter on the team???? Not to mention that he can get to the basket just like Wade and IMO better then LeBron. Melo's different b/c he offered a post game as well. Plus , you get a guy who actually wants to be there to represent his country, not to go party in Vegas or b/c it looks good for te media. Paul was a good choice but Heinrich was simply ridiculous (and i like Kirk's game but he's not half the player Arenas is)

4. Highwire

Highwire Member

Go Gilbert..

Team USA was indeed a bad team with very poor chemistry.

5. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Get off my nuts--- Gilbert Arenas

6. superden

superden Contributing Member

Agent Zero drops what...60 on Kobe? Kobe calls him out saying he took bad shots, was lucky, blah blah blah whatever Kobe said... What did Gilbert do? Did he lash out? Nope. He gave credit where credit was due.

7. sbyang

sbyang Member

I would pay 100 bucks to watch Arenas destroy Duke. They should set up that Adidas team, Arenas, TMAC, KG, Billups, get Yao on loan from Reebok, and just destroy Duke. That would be awesome to watch.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He would have beat Coach K already had not a thuggish Illinois team coached by Bill Self not practically dislocated his shoulder in the round of 8 (Arizona still beat MSU in the final four round but had a skeleton of Arenas and the game slipped from them in the 2nd half without his scoring punch).

I have no respect for Bill Self since those NCAAs.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think that's funny. how can some of you guys not see the humor in that. D'Antoni started it. Speaking of D'Antoni...I'm not a big fan of his coaching style (with any other PG than Nash, he'd suck) but I've been reading his post-games. He's as funny as JVG, imo. And if you don't think JVG is funny, you've been reading Old Man Rock and DaDakota too much.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Look, when Gilbert, Kobe and Redd join the Olympic team, they will win the gold. Hinrich and Brad Miller had no business over there.

11. Fuse

Fuse Member

And what is Kobe? My point is, just because you formulated your opinion about Kobe, doesn't make what Areanas did or say right or wrong. Its fine to motivtate yourself because you got snubbed, its another thing to go out and say it publicly.

Fact is, Kobe gets judged by different standards. It is also a fact that people bring preconceived notions of who Kobe is in everything that he does. Arenas is a great story, but it doesn't make everything that he does right.

To discredit what I say completely just because Arenas answers a couple of questions in favor of the general consensus is a bit hasty, don't you think? Its one thing to support someone, and its another to just be blinded about what they do that is wrong.

12. Fuse

Fuse Member

There are many factors going into why he was cut. Gilbert is a scorer and not a creator - both wade and Lebron can both score and create. Hinrich is also molded in a similar fashion. Coaches just prefer certain character types and skillsets. Some just don't fit as well. You know... talent is not the only thing that makes a successful team.

You seem to have strongly embedded notions about how things seem to work.

I'm not saying you are wrong... just an observation.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I just find it particularly impressive that he made up his mind to punish D'Antoni for kicking him off the FIBA team, and he did exactly that. 54 points and a cold blooded game winning three that he didn't even bother looking to see if it went in.

This guy is from another planet. He's amazing. I'm personally waiting to see what he does to the Trailblazers in February. And yes, I think they made a huge mistake leaving him off that squad.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Well obviously, they ended up having nobody who could score when they needed it. Too many creators, not enough scorers. The coaches failed there, didn't they?

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Thats what I was thinking. Even more specific, not enough jump shooters.
    --Arenas, Ray Allen, Redd, Joe Johnson, Jason Terry, Billips, Paul Pierce, more of these type guys.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Arenas will probably go down as the best 2nd round pick since 1989, when the draft went to two rounds.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The guy wears his heart on his sleeve. It's the reason why he's such a good player...very clutch, too. I don't blame him at all for holding a grudge. He deserved to go.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I hate Duke. Talk about 'em all you want to Arenas.

19. Fuse

Fuse Member

They are both creators and scorers. Coach K was trying to put together a team that can play college b-ball style, because it most closely resembles the FIBA, zone dominated styles. It didn't work out, but hindsight is 20/20. Of course you can fault something that doesn't work, but i could see part of the logic going into the selection. What they could of done, is have additional shooters at hand, which is something they obviously failed at.

We lost one game as a young team. I don't see how adding Arenas would suddnely benefit the situation.

You already have plenty of players that dominate the ball, you certainly don't NEED another one.

20. KAS13

Whatever.

#40 KAS13, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2007