1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[gif] Blake Griffin throws drink on GSW fan after fouling out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IzakDavid13, Apr 19, 2014.

?

Was it intentional?

1. Yes

226 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed except I would rather see GS in the playoffs than the Clips :grin:

2. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Whether anyone gets hurt has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the elements of the crime of battery in a case like this.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever it was pure comedy intentional or not. They were laughing about it. That's more play between a fan and an athlete. You just gave the fan the experience of a life time. His buddy thought it was awesome. Even the fan was smiling and looking at him.

It would be silly to suspend Griffin in that situation. No, you can't throw anything onto a fan . But it wasn't done with any real malice.

Fine Griffan $25k and let it be done. I think to suspend someone for this smacks of a complete lack of context and a sense of humor at that.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt anyone will see something as battery if your reaction from the supposed assault is to laugh.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So if you were this man's lawyer, you would recommend he press charges?

6. pollaxt

Laughing is an instinctive response as a result of embarrassment due to the "offensive touching". There have been numerous cases where the only crime is throwing or dumping water on someone who initially laughed as a first response.

7. pollaxt

Hardly anyone would due to the nominal damages he is likely to receive compared to the work and time and further embarrassment it would cost him, but the state of California would likely succeed in charging Blake Griffin with a misdemeanor of simple assault. And the GS fan would win in a civil action, most likely for nominal damages of $1.

But the NBA is not a court of law either way, which is what we're talking about. Commissioner Silver should not be permitting something like this to happen, because the next time...it could be an NBA player throwing a clipboard, or a chair, or a fist at a fan.

#147 pollaxt, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

If that fan were a drunken idiot, things could have gone pretty bad.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lin would never do something like this.

10. conquistador#11

Fans have annoyed players since the peach basket. You either engage in rival gesturing like Reggie Miller and spike or you escalate things like Maxwell. But you never accidentally splash water on the only 2 warriors fans in the vicinity and then walk away. bush league. but what is expected from a bunch of floppers.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm OK with no suspension, but a heavy fine. Fans shouldn't be able to agitate players out of the game, but players should still be held accountable.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

White people have no respect for the game. SMH Blake Griffin.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It was funny to observers who did not care much about the outcome of the game. Heck, I thought it was pretty funny.

However, I'm pretty sure this was not funny for a lot of GSW fans who were watching. If Griffin threw that water at a more hostile individual, he could have escalated a fight, then the league would have no choice but to suspend Griffin for an even longer period of time.

14. dragician

dragician Member

agreed.

[​IMG]

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

I will be shocked if they suspend him.

Don't care if they do it or not

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He controls your emotions and thoughts. I hope you retire a LOF

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Correction- the worst brawl- there was absolutely nothing like that brawl, ever. You had players going into the stands, players and fans fighting on the court, heck, someone threw a damn chair which could have seriously hurt someone.

I don't want Griffin to be suspended- but they're probably going to have to for at least one game. Hopefully not, but these days, you have so many fights now between fans and players/coaches (almost always at the little league level, but still), you have to sometimes be ridiculously punitive to prevent something worse.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

This is America .... that Warriors fan could hire a lawyer and sue the NBA, Griffin, and the Clippers for millions$ in damages. Maybe even find a bull***** doctor who will support his claim that he suffered emotional harm, can't have sex with his wife, etc.

19. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Anybody saying it wasn't intentional must be brain dead even without seeing his glimpse of the fan.
    To hold glass of water and turn it upside down like that unintentionally, Griffin would have to be mentally challenged.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me get it straight. You are saying that a player throwing a cup of water to an unsuspecting fan on the stand is okay.

Am I right?