1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting rid of Windows Vista

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by windfern, Aug 29, 2007.

1. windfern

windfern Member

Hi techie guys. Need help. I bought a Compaq laptop with Windows Vista Home Premius loaded and it really sucked big time (performance). I'm planning to format it and load XP instead. First I tried to inser tmy new XP disk and it told me that I can't run it since Vista is the latest software.

Anybody has gone through thsi mess? How can I format it?

Thaks thanks thanks.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is vista really this bad?

I'm getting a new computer relatively soon and im debating whether to even get it

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I'm getting a new pc soon also and I will stick with XP until I absolutely HAVE to change to Vista.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I like Vista.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

If you want to go back to XP, I have absolutely no problem with that. However, I think you should wait for the upcoming Vista SP1 update (due out anytime now) before making the plunge. If the service pack doesn't fix your performance issues, then kick Vista to the curb.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you want to clean format it you need to boot off of the cd. That setting is changed in the bios. (to access bios varies by manufacturer so you would have to look that up)

After you do that, you boot directly off of the xp cd and then go through the normal installation process. At some point it will give you the option of deleting all of your current stuff and do that and install xp and you should be good.

After you install, enjoy finding all the drivers for your hardware. That's the most fun part.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what sucks is that they( dell for example) charge the same both vista and XP. :mad:

8. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

keep in mind that XP support has been extended until 2009. There is also a service pack 3 in beta at the moment.

I'll be keeping XP for a good long while unless I decide to install XP64.

Cheers,
    Brock

9. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Vista is alright. I've adapted to the change must better than I did XP. As soon as I sit down on an XP box I always make it look/behave like the old Windows Classic.

I feel like I've grown as a person with my acceptance of Vista. :D

10. windfern

windfern Member

What I actually did yesterday was bought a new HDD and replaced the original one. It's a SATA and when I inserted my XP disc it says that No Operating System. When I insered the recovery disc, it ran. So I guess you right by changing something in the bios? I also read somewher ethat I need to change the HDD type from SATA to IDE or something so it can be detected? Thanks.

11. windfern

windfern Member

Looks good but it's very slow.

12. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I have to agree, Vista has grown on me so far I dont have any performance issues. *crossing fingers*

13. windfern

windfern Member

do you have 2 gig ram in your machine?

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nope.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is the specs on your computer, CPU, meory?

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no its not

the few problems are overhyped

most issues comes from having it on a system without enough horses to run it right.

is it a HUGE resource hog? yep

I noticed alot of cheaper machines come with only 512M(im working on one right now with that problem) and thatr isnt even enough to run it good.

You need at a MINIMUM 1G of DDR/DDR2

Ive been running it since launch, and have had minimal problems...just rolled it out on two other machines on my network, and the only real complaint I have heard is that it takes some time to get used to the interface changes.

btw....I have noticed the Sidebar seems to be a common cause of performance issues. The difference is noticable with it off.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can also turn off the Aero interface.

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I have to admit that I love Vista. It ran OK on my computer with 1 gig of DDR2, but I recently upgraded to 2 gigs and it's running awesome. I could turn off the sidebar, etc, but I like having the weather, calendar, and notes feature accessible at all times on my desktop. I love the sleek interface. I guess I'm just one of the rare people to enjoy change.

19. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Vista has performance issues compaired to XP. At least for what I do.

This isn't even related to the extreme installer footprint and the liberal use of ram compaired to XP.

This is a proven fact.

You can read about some of these here:
    http://www.dawbench.com/blofelds-xp-v-vista2.htm

These issues will most likely be addressed in service pack or two - but for right now Vista is a no go for audio production in my opinion so is a no go for me.

Cheers,
    Brock

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

XP didn't run well on my 1995 cpu. :(