1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting kicked out of chat as a guest?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by saitou, Nov 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

First, I have tried using my nick in the chat, but when I try that it asks me for my password, and when I type in the password I use for the forum, it says my password is wrong and I can't get in. (I access the chat from the website page)

At the end of the Utah game, codell started complaining about guests and booted me. What's with that? I came back in, and I asked DoD, and he said it's ok to be a guest.

Today, codell at the end of the SEA game started b****ing about guests again, threatening to boot guests out. I didn't stick around to see if he really did it again though. If it was a rule of the website and the chat, I would gladly comply (anyone got any advice on logging into the chat though?); but as far as I know logging in as a guest for the chat is perfectly ok.

codell: if you think seeing guests on the list of chatters is annoying, think about getting kicked out for no reason. I appreciate your pbp, but I don't see the rationale behind kicking guests out. You seem like a reasonable poster on the board, and I hope it's not just some power trip to get a kick out of kicking people. Would appreciate clarification from you or/and the moderators.

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, no I did not do anything illegal in the chat (unless signing in as a guest is). In the Utah game I did not type anything until after codell booted me and I came back in; and I did not see any other guests typing anything either.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

saitou,

1) Its a lil unfair to single me out like this. No offense to rockHEAD, but he was also kicked guests out for not picking a nick. He was only kidding and so was I. I am sure he will come in here and defend himself also.

2) My apologies for the kick after the Utah game. rockHEAD and I were just having a lil fun. Personally, I dont see what the big deal is, seeing as how it was about 10-20 mins after the game ended and there was no significant chat going on.

3) As far as tonights game, again, rockHEAD and I were joking about guests picking a nick. It was an inside joke and I can assure you that he, nor I were thinking of kicking a guest out during the game (neither one of us like to have to kick anyone period unless DrofDunk is not there).

Not sure how long you have been coming to chat, but rockHEAD always jokingly posts messages encouraging guests to pick a nick and participate in the chat. He, nor I, have ever kicked a guest out during a game, and up until after the Utah game, I don't believe rockHEAD has EVER kicked a guest out for not picking a nick.

I think you are overeacting a lil bit. rockHEAD kicked about 20-30 guests out at once, and I kicked out 3-4. We were just having fun and didnt see the harm since it was done well after the game ended and when no game related chat was even going on. Plus, its not like any of those guests couldnt come right back in.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hmm...there was no real chat going on inthere at that point after the Utah game...and to my recollection, no guests whatsoever were participating inwhat little chatter was going on..

whats the big deal?

btw...

when it asks you for a nick and password to change your nick in chat, it does not mean the password here.

in order to reserve a nick in irc chat, you have to go to mirc.com and register it...at that time you will choose a password and that will be the name you use in chat.

if the search was around, I would find you the thread with the specific instructions. Just go to mirc.com and look for a link to register your nick.

5. CRC

CRC Member

Damn, so that explains why I've been automatically logged off from the chat after I went home after the Utah game, :mad:

Not that it's really a big deal, but I can understand saitou's concern though. The admin privileges should only be used to administer the place & not for entertainment/personal reasons.

I didn't logged in during that game because I'm out & won't be able to participate in that chat, but I still want to check out what's going on during the game & the chat script is the only way for me to do so... oh, well...

Anyway, I know both codell & rockeHEAD are very nice guys here & I'm sure they won't do it if they knew it will cause inconvenience to other people. So it's all cool.

or please send me a copy of the chat script next time when it happens ;)

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The easiest way to get into chat is to go to the chat page, download the client, type in the nick you want over the "guest" that's already there, and click submit. Easy as that.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I forgot to specify - download the applet that IE prompts you to, not necessarily the mirc client.

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

R2K: Just because people don't say anything doesn't mean they are not reading what's going on. There would simply be no misunderstanding if codell and rockhead didn't kick people; joke or not, is it really necessary? (As you'll see later I'm not saying it's a big issue, but what you said doesn't negate the 'issue-ness' of the issue... I hope I'm being understandable...)

Having said that, I am new to the chat, and wasn't aware of the inside joke, and yes, in light of what you said it's fairly harmless; and I was afraid you guys kicked people on a regular basis. As I said, I really appreciate the two of you's pbp, and a little kick after the game is a small price to pay for what you guys do for the rest of us. Bottomline - I'm willing to leave it at that; if the admins want to, I'm cool with this thread being locked and we can move on. codell: would be nice if you put in a little apology though ;)

R2K, arkoe: thanks for the advice. Sounds a little troublesome though, downloading mirc and everything... I'll prob just continue viewing the pbp as a guest. Appreciate you guys taking the time though.

9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

codell: argh! just saw your apology. I guess it's my turn to apologise, hehe. *feeling stupid now* Please lock this thread!

10. Heath

Heath Member

By the way, picking a nick after you have joined as a guest is not hard. You just type in the nick you want to have and as long as it is not protected (registered) by anyone else you get the name you choose, no password needed at all.

If you want your very own nick for yourself to use every game all you have to do is register the name after you have selected it.

To change nick in chat:

/nick <your nick>

Example: /nick saitou

If the nick you pick is protected/taken by someone else you could try a complete different nick or add numbers or something to it.

To register the nick so only you can use it:

first pick your nick as of the steps above then...

/nickserv register <password> <e-mail>

password is the password you would like to use for your nick and e-mail is your e-mail account. When registering you will be sent an e-mail about how to activate your nick.

Identifying to your registered nickname in chat:

when you have your own protected nickname you will have to identify to the server with your password so it is known that it is you that want to use your nick.

/nickserv identify <password>

password is the password you selected during registration.

As told by this thread, you don't need a nick to be in chat, but most find users find it better when chatters pick a nick instead of being "guest07835" etc even if you don't chat and just use it for reading pbp etc.

So many would be pleased if guests picked a nick, even if they dont want to go to the trouble of registrating a nick of their own.

But if you register your own nick you can join the chat even when the moderators are not around. So you also get this added perk. You sometimes see users posting threads about "Can not join chat" and this is almost always down to the fact that a chat moderator have not yet joined the room and thus the room only allowing chatters with registrated nick's join the room.

So even if it is not needed - guests - please pick a nick. :)

11. Heath

Heath Member

Some parts of the post I wrote above fell out as I used chars that the BBS use as comment chars I think. I put the commands in "" instead now, so this is what was meant to be in the post above at those places:

To change nick in chat:

/nick "your nick"

Example: /nick saitou

To register the nick so only you can use it:

/nickserv register "password" "e-mail"

Example: /nickserv register mypassword mymail@hotmail.com

Identifying to your registered nickname in chat:

/nickserv identify "password"

Example: /nickserv identify mypassword

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Thank you for covering my back codell and R2K... as stated previously, I warned everyone then kicked. The game was already over. I would never kick anyone DURING a game without a legitimate reason. DoD's scripts take care of that for us though.

The game was over, we were inundated with guests and I went nuts. I haven't done it since....

Thanks to Heath for explaining how to pick a nick and how to register a nick. I would recommend registering a nick.

13. CRC

CRC Member

Looks like everyone is trying to discourage using the guest log-in option, which I disagree in certain situations and here is why:

During the chat, if a person is not intended to engage in any forms of communication & would like to remain anonymous, to me it's actually better to be as 'guests' instead of randomly choosing a nick, because:

1) For those who cannot participate the chat in real-time, like myself during the Utah game, using the guest mode makes sense because I don't want to log-in as CRC & knowing I won't be able to answer greetings/questions from others without me in front of the screen at the time -- I was away 30 mins before the game & came back 1 hours after the game, I still expect to stay logged-in so I can read the chat log to know what's going with the game after I come back.

2) Since you cannot participate the chat in guest mode, it helps people to know how many active participants (those who are likely to engage a conversation) are there during the chat. e.g. if there are 100 users & 90 of these are guests... then you have a clear idea that only 10 of these people are likely to respond to you.

3) It helps people knowing who's online -- If I want to know whether MacBeth/JAG is there, it's easy to skip pass all the 'guests000' from the userlist & findout whether the person is in or not more quickly, instead of going through a whole list of random usernames such as MacB, JAG~, MacJAG, MB... & not knowing which or if any of these is real MacBeth/JAG.

4) Log-in as a guest is actually the fastest way to get in for those who want to remain anonimous & won't be able to participate in the chat -- just click the connetct button. I see no real need to create or fake/random username & gets mistake by someone else during the chat. e.g. if I log-in as MacB, I bet people will start saying hi to me & think that 'MacBeth' is in the house.

As a result, I definitely see some advantages in log-in as 'guests' & believes it helps the order/clarity of the chat -- so people knows perfectly well these people might not be present and interact with others during the chat, thus can be ignored.

Last, I bet a lot of these 'guests' were like me during the Utah game -- was doing something else & not in front of their screen during the game -- they won't be able to read any of the 'warnings' from the admins. Like me, all they see is the logged-off chat screen 1 hour after the game.

To conclude, log-in as a 'guest' is one of the options to get into the chat, & if it's the best option for people during that time, I don't see why it's necessary/compulsary to log-in with a random nickname.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Reserve a nick in irc chat", "download the client", "download the applet that IE prompts you to, not necessarily the mirc client", "/nickserv register"...

I must be an idiot because I don't know what any of this crap means. I just click on 'connect' and I'm in. :confused:

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

CRC,

If Clutch ever decides to name a new moderator, you have my vote bud. With posts like that, and most of your other posts over the past month, you should be a shoe in.

Just don't put your experience as the moderator of your own Rocket BBS in your resume. ;)

16. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Excellent post CRC.
    You are right, it's not necessary to log in with a nick...
    I made a mistake and took it too far.
    Won't happen again.

:eek:

17. CRC

CRC Member

Hehe... thanks for that Codell! :D

I think I'm definitely in the run for the "BBS preacher of the year" award ;)

18. CRC

CRC Member

Don't feel bad rockHEAD. Both you & codell are doing an excellent job in the chat. And everyone including myself can't thank you guys enough for it.

Not a big deal really. Cheer up! :)

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think it is safe to say no one ever expected that some one would want to actually read thru all the crap that gets said in that chatroom(chat log)

he definitely raised an issue that I had no idea was going on.