1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting fit this summer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AggieRocket, May 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

As summer rolls around, I want this summer to be the one where I get in shape. I really want to lose some "bad" weight and gain some "good" weight.

Any ideas on what I can do to lose the gut and build some muscle? Please give me suggestions on both diet and exercise.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Eat good food, lower your caloric intake, lift weights, and do cardio.

Your welcome. :D

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and grow Chris Jericho hair like this douche.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The fiancee and I are doing Tae Bo to lose some weight before the big day.

6. AggieRocket

Great advice my friend :) What would I do without you? :)

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got an x-box and dance dance revolution with a dance pad. My wife and I were doing that pretty regularly until an emergency forced to stop for a long time.

It was a fun way to do exercise regardless of the weather or time of day. It can be hard and done as much as you would like. I will be starting it up again soon. Also as time permits I will be playings basketball and surfing.

I used a diet from a men's magazine that worked great. I modified it a little bit. Basically they had a choice of a few different foods. You started with just modifying your breakfast, then after a week of that you added lunch, then a snack, and finally you modified every single meal. I modified mine to allow one day a week where I ate anything I wanted. The other six days I kept to the diet.

The food wasn't too bad, just pretty small portions.

I can't remember all the food, but I do remember the choices that I used. I wish I could be of more help to you. It also stated that you drank 2 glasses of water before each meal and snack. That helped you feel more full, and it is good for you to drink a lot of water.

The main thing to do when exercising or for fitness is to stretch a lot.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The_Conquistador says to do cardio in combination with four movements in the weight room:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Bent over rows

These exercises are multi-joint, compound movements which have an anabolic effect on your entire set of muscles, while simultaneously increasing your metabolic rate. In other words, by putting on the muscle you will burn fat 24/7. Don't even worry about isolation movements like shrugs, curls, extensions, etc if you haven't put in a decent amount of time on these four. And whatever you do, don't waste your time on weight machines. Exercising your muscles on only one plane does not recruit stabilizer muscles. As a result, you get cheated in your workout.

9. rudager

rudager Member

Hire Izzy Mandelbaum.

10. AggieRocket

How many sets and how many reps per set of these should I do? How often should I do these exercises? Should I do all of these the same day and should I do them everyday?

As you can probably tell, the weight room is not my area of expertise :)

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Then be careful. These are great exercises but could really mess you up if you do them wrong.

12. xcharged

xcharged Member

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

After I eat a large meal, I usually go to the bathroom and stick 4 fingers down my throat until I throw up. Four fingers to thinner thighs!

It works pretty well for me.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As far as the weights start out very light, since your body isn't used to it. Use a weight that you could do 20 of no problem and just do 10 reps. Because you are using light weights and only 10 reps you can do them daily. But you should do it at least 4 times the first week.

You will still experience some soreness. After this you can start to adjust your routine and depending on what your goal is, the weight sets and reps will vary.

The general rule is that if you want to cut down on size, trim down, while adding strength, do a lot of reps with several sets each, with light weight.

If you want to add bulk use a lot of weight and fewer reps starting at 8 reps adding some weight and going down until you can just 2 reps. Ideally you should be using so much weight that you can't complete all the reps.

Those are very general guidelines.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I do three sets with usually 6-8 reps per set. I split up the exercises to do bench and bent over rows one day and then after 2-3 days of rest I'll do squats and deadlifts. I do cardio 4-5 times per week to supplement these movements. I do some isolation movements as well, although if you are just getting started, these exercises alone will exhaust you. Google them and make sure you have the right form. Without proper form you are wasting your time and exposing yourself to injury. It's also a good idea to buy a weight belt and wrist straps. The straps are great as they take weight off your grip/forearms and allow the targeted muscles to do the work. Typically your grip/forearms will limit your workout, and this helps prevent it.

BOW TO YOUR SENSEI

16. AggieRocket

When it comes to fitness, I will give you your props. You are the Conquistador :)

17. AggieRocket

I was going to start exercising today, but I was too lazy. This is the last day Aggierocket is lazy :) Starting tomorrow, Aggierocket will be on the way to being a chiseled rock :)

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

something about this post is very funny. :D

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Try cutting back on those $150 weekends of drinking. ;)

BTW, when's the big day?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

brilliant!!! have you seen this Geico ad with him?

my 5 year old son keeps quoting it all the time...

"YEAH, BABY!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!" :D