1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Germanwings plane crashes in French alps with 150 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Major

Major Member

Exactly this - a much better version of what I was trying to say. All these solutions do is fix the last problem. But if a different system was in place, the co-pilot will just pick another method. It's impossible to make the system foolproof because it relies on the people involved.

The US apparently has a simple system where there's never only 1 person in the cockpit. If a pilot leaves, a flight attendant enters. That seems an easier solution to this particular problem than having remote access from a tower or whatnot.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Maybe the copilot who left killed the pilot, put the plane into a controlled descent, and then left the cockpit to save face in his last moments??

3. bongman

bongman Member

Not really sure about that. If anybody from a crew of 5-10 people inside the plane can sabotage a flight, what is the probability of having somebody who can gain access to the remote control and downing it themselves?

Remember, there are 6 billion individuals in this world.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Sorry pilot who left..

But it seems like he was banging on the door, could it have been an act?? Why did he leave the cockpit at the same time his suicidal colleague began the descent??

Maybe we just need Chappie robots as pilots

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

If there was a spat in the cockpit, and one guy was trying to kill everyone.. why didn't the pilot get into a fight with him?

Copilot: "hey uh, I'm gonna kill everyone on board"

Pilot: "alright, lemme go use the bathroom"

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

An act? For what purpose? I'm going to kill myself and everyone on this plane... but I'm going to cover it up and make it an exciting mystery they can play on CNN for months?

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Psycho people like to do **** like that. Let me kill everyone on board, but make it look like the other guy did it.

8. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Look, I'm not going to have an argument with you. After thinking about it, it's more likely just a coincidence that they weren't on the plane, not some outside intervention. I don't really care about the soccer team, they aren't any more special then the people on that plane. But I DO NOT understand why you are trying to insinuate that I'm glad they didn't lose their lives, but the other people did. I don't know if you decided to play the Moral Police this morning, but what decent human being in their right mind do you think would be glad about a certain amount of people living over many other dying?

Just because I wasn't trying to dwell on the negatives of the situation doesn't mean I don't care at all about what happened. It's unfortunate, and it's sad, but I'm not going to stop living life because of it. I'm not going to get on my knees and start crying, and that won't mean I don't care any about the situation because I didn't.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My only hope is that AroundTheWorld frantically stalks down this guy and exposes him as a militant muslim.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You're trying to make this into some movie.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

not really trying. Nothing about this scenario is ordinary

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man, you went way out into left field with your response.

I never said you didn't care. I don't even care if you do care.

I just think it's weird to believe that fate stepped in to save a soccer team when so many innocent lives were snuffed out. It wasn't fate. It was a coincidence.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If planes are so smart these days, then why would they allow such a scenario to happen? A perfectly functioning plane flown into the side of a mountain. It seems like the computer would go "to hell with that" and force it to pull up to a safe altitude. What possible valid reason would there be to fly a perfectly functioning plane into the side of a mountain or the ground?

I am thinking planes need to be smarter and override pilot actions. Too many times are pilots at the controls allowed to stall planes or nose dive while ignoring blaring warnings.

It probably comes down to money and we don't want planes to become self-aware.

14. Major

Major Member

Except there's a code to get back into the cockpit from the outside when someone leaves. It can be overridden from inside the cockpit and we know that happened.

15. Major

Major Member

Wasn't the 9/11 plane that crashed in Pennsylvania done intentionally to avoid it being used a missile?

I think the issue is that a computer can't predict all the reasons why something crazy might need to be done, so they always would have to allow a pilot override.

16. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I never said I believed in fate, nor did I say it was the reason why, but that's fine that you feel that way about what I said. I agree too. But when you used that type of sarcasm, and especially over the internet, I took it differently.

Bottom line-communication errors both ways

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow dutch media are saying the pilot commited suicide by crashing the plane.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

From what I have seen, he doesn't seem like that type at all. Just a random lunatic. I think Yung-T is right, just some dumbasses starting this Islamist facebook group because they are happy people died, but most likely not his motivation.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I already commented on that. In the case of this crash the plane was already descending without a probable cause and the whole crew was locked out of the cabin. If the plane is perfectly fine you might have a point, but not when the plane is already doing a dangerous maneuver that's threatening the safety of everyone involved. No one would dismiss that call and it also wouldn't help a terrorist, as the plane already descending means someone helping their cause is already piloting.

And the system that people want is for the remote to open the door from the tower, not controlling the plane itself.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

To commit suicide by slaughtering 149 innocent people is not committing suicide. It is psychotic act completely devoid of empathy.