1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

German study claims devout Islamic youth more violence-prone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 5, 2010.

1. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Hardly. It seems Germany has a problem with a lot more extremists(or that they stand out more and the normal Muslims are ignored because they don't cause a ruckus.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for your post, BrownBeast99. I appreciate that it is always possible to have a civil discussion with you, unlike some of the other posters here, even though we may not agree on everything.

One issue is that the Turks in Germany are actually a lot more backwards on average and have a lower level of education than the Turks in Turkey. The islamist hate preachers prey on that and use it to their advantage, as their islamist philosophies give these people a sense of identity, in a sense of "us vs. them", which, however, is unfair to the Germans because the Turks have really been welcomed with open arms (and in most cases, this works really well for both sides - I am only referring to the unfortunate cases where people follow these hate preachers).

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Study: YOF More Likely to Love Yao.

4. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

It's pretty sad to see how extremists have ruined the religion and instilled false perceptions of what Islam really is. I have yet to encounter any extremist type behavior among Muslims here in Houston and I've been around hundreds(maybe even over a thousand) of Muslims.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I had some Persian friends when I studied in Houston. We played basketball together. They were Muslims, but I guess not very strict with regard to the rules, as they loved to party and drink (which I liked about them). I didn't run into any islamists either, but it seemed to be less of an issue overall back then (1995-1996).

6. PointForward

PointForward Member

Out of curiosity, ATW, did you ever attend an institute of higher education? did you graduate? It seems like you lack very basic knowledge in fundamental subjects.

durvasa asked an important question on the first page, and here's a little something I found:

linky: http://www.cfr.org/publication/8252/integrating_islam_in_europe.html

A basic background knowledge in history tells you that immigrant families tend to be of lower socioeconomic class compared to the regular population in any country, the reasons are numerous and obvious. Most of the muslims in Germany (or Europe in general) are immigrants, so it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that they're poorer, live in more violent neighborhoods, and aren't as educated as the general public.

Here in the U.S, the African American population has the highest rate of violent crimes committed. Way higher than its Anglo counterpart. Should we kick them out? Are they inherently bad? Or are all black people in the U.S muslims? Yeah, this has to be it! they all secretly converted to islam and it's making them more violent.

You're a joke ATW. I had promised myself that I would stop responding to your threads because my attempts at educating you always seem to fail, probably because of how damn dense your brain is and how uneducated you are. You and your buddy DaDakota are too blinded by your hatred of this religion that you're willing to go great lengths to invite other people to join your hateful posse. I suggest you quit the D&D and go help DaDakota in plugging the oil leak in the hangout ;) .

1 person likes this.
  7. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I do not know ANY Persians in America who identify as Muslims in the first place, your assumption that Persians in America are Muslim reflects, I think, your own ignorance and false assumptions about Muslims in general, what they believe in, what there adhere to, etc. More generally, I think it reflects your deep ignorance of the diversity of those billion-plus people on this earth who claim to be Muslims. Only in your world are they a great monolithic body, which is of course very easy to dismiss as a claim if an average person even bothered to scan the news from time to time to learn about the internal dynamics of Islam and those who claim to adhere to it.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To answer your question, yes. I have two master degrees (business administration and law), and I was a Fulbright scholar. Just because you asked.

I stated this myself (that education and socio-economic factors play a role). However, the study explicitly compared muslim immigrants, christian immigrants and agnostic immigrants.

The KFN study interviewed a total of 45,000 14-16 year-olds in 61 cities across Germany between 2007 and 2008. Of these, 10,000 had an immigrant background.

It found that the best adjusted and most integrated immigrants came from non-religious families. More than 41 percent of these were looking to get a high school diploma, nearly 63 percent had German friends and 66 percent viewed themselves as German.

The figures among young Muslims were strikingly different: only 16 percent were pursuing a high school diploma, 28 percent had German friends and about 22 percent considered themselves German.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5655554,00.html

No - and nowhere did I say that Germany should kick out Muslims or anything like that.

I am not the one constantly resorting to insults, that would be you and some of the posters who are arguing on your side.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The Persians in Houston I knew were muslims. As I said, not very strict when it came to alcohol, etc., but they identified themselves as muslims. This is not an assumption of mine, but what they told me, so the rest of your rambling post is moot.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Is Aroundtheworld the new Basso?

1 person likes this.
  11. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I am pretty sure you are lying about them telling you they are Muslim, because the Iranians in America are by and large people who fled Iran with their families during the revolution. The ones living in the States are the ones who celebrate the Persian holidays but not the Islamic ones, and they make no secret about their dislike of Islam and, in fact, identify as non-Muslim when specifically asked of their religious affiliation. I have known many, many of them over the years and still call many of them friends, they are wonderful people but they make no secret of their opposition to religion in general.

I am certainly not saying all Muslims are practicing or strictly adhere to the faith, that is obviously not the case, I would even say most would fall into the category of picking and choosing what they like, it is really human nature and not unique to Muslims in any way. Most have the freedom to drink in their own countries, they don't have to go out West to do it. I know a bunch of alcoholics in Egypt, and one of my Syrian friends is rarely if ever sober. Of course, he is also unemployed and rich, so he has that luxury :grin:

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Study: Tea Party Activists have no clue what they are talking about.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

As someone part Iranian and who visits Iran fairly frequently, I can tell you this is true and even accurate in Tehran (nevermind Houston).

Modern Iranians may be born into Islam, but the only ones who follow Islam (and usually too strictly) are te ones you see on tv. Those people don't really represent Iran. If you ever had a walk down Jordan Street or Zaafaraaniyeh in Tehran, you would realize that it's no different than Austria or Switzerland or whatever. I have no clue how these Islamist maniacs were able to grab this country by the neck and hold 50-60 million people hostage and enforce a way of life which they don't believe in.

But as you said, in 99% of cases, if there is an Iranian in America, and they love to drink, they are only nominally Muslim and quite happily put their Persian culture ahead of their religion.

As always, there is a 1% of less chance ATW is spewing some semblance of truth, but only God knows.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I guess you missed the sarcasm and the point i was trying to get across?

Read the rest of the convo please, you are a decent enough poster so don't jump to conclusions.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you are condemning all of Islam based on your encounter with a handful of Muslims?

So if I see a Japanese person kills themselves from a bridge - that means all Japanese are suicidal right?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How does what you two posted differ from what I relayed? I stated that they said they were Muslim, but didn't seem to adhere to any rules. Isn't that exactly what you described (them nominally being muslim, but not strictly following anything)? Why the ridiculous accusations of lying then?

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Strictly implies that they follow some things. They don't. They follow Persian culture, and a few minor parts of Persian culture have been influenced by Islam (serving food, hosting guests, etc).

You may be lying, but you are certainly either wrong or being misleading. Based on what you've said, these are not moderate Muslims. These are non-practicing Muslims. I don't know why they need to call themselves Muslim (as you said they did). But to each their own. Persians are in fact very much like you. They have become allergic to all of Islam due to the actions of extremist Muslims. I can't say I would be any different considering what they've been through.

Your portrayal of them being the type of Muslim that you like indicates once again that, in reality, you don't like any Islamic practices. The only Muslims you have ever mentioned that you like are those who do something anti-Islamic. It's like if I didn't like atheists except the ones who pray the Muslim way because it relaxes them. Yes it is exactly the same, not every example which makes you look bad is "apples and oranges".

Wa Allahu A3lam.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How was anything I said about them misleading??? Your logical disability is startling.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You are being deceptive again and ignored many points in my post to do it.

You are being deceptive in that you are saying they are moderates. They are not moderates according to what you're saying.

Moderates means you follow the tenents moderately. If you blatantly don't care about the drinking, then you are not a moderate. When I was slamming shots of tequila, I was not a moderate.

It seems you only like muslims if they are nominally muslim and don't practice Islam.

Therefore your comment that they are moderate is deceptive and meant to deceivingly show that you are "ok" with some Muslims. In reality, you are ok with Muslims who don't practice Islam such as those not praying with their behinds in the air or those who drink and party.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Show me where I "condemned all of Islam". Either you totally lack reading comprehension or you are back to your old attention-whoring ways, saying stuff just to be noticed, or both.