1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

German ad in support of Muslim women

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ILoveTheRockets

[​IMG]

2. trustme

trustme Member

Didn't you once state that Hakeem was a possible terrorist because he donated money to an organization that might have been linked to a terrorist group?

Why do you hate Hakeem Olajuwon?

1 person likes this.
  3. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Because he's a Muslim.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Certainly there are women who would choose to wear a Burka, but the vast majority are forced to by there culture. It's similar to the way women dressed in the Victorian era -- as soon as they could abandon that style of dress they did. It will be no different with Muslim women -- they just need to be allowed to make the change.

5. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Do you agree with the sentiment given in ATW's linked article (to outright ban it in liberal societies)?

6. ILoveTheRockets

In America, I can not wear a mask in public places unless it is Halloween. It should be no different in America with women who want to wear them...sorry bout your luck.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's not true I saw zombies yesterday.

8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

There's a huge difference between a mask and a veil. Good job on being disingenuous though.

Also, you are horribly wrong about wearing masks in public. There is no federal law prohibiting it. Only a handful of states prohibit it (such as North Carolina and Virginia), and even these states have exceptions to it. The reason they even have those laws is because it prevented the KKK from wearing them whenever they went out.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It doesn't happen all that often on the BBS, but this was a first rate smackdown. You'd be better off just saying "my bad."

Reading that thread by the way is pretty troubling, though I can't be too hard on Mathloom since we had plenty of American posters on this board who blamed the girl who was gang raped because she shouldn't have been drinking.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I guess non Muslims women are just immune to men ogling their hair and face. Did I say people who dress conservatively are brainwashed? A lady can dress conservatively without covering their damn face. As a former Muslim I know plenty of Muslim women(mostly family members) and many give the same answer about the hijab. But from my experience it comes from family pressure.

11. fchowd0311

A simple head scarf that covers the head shouldn't be banned of course. Something covering the face should be though.

12. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

No, you stated those who choose to wear it are brainwashed. Not only is that laughable, it completely contradicts what Muslim women converts have stated for years:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...erican-women-who-converted-to-islam-speak-out

13. fchowd0311

If they believe their hair creates so much arousal then they are just being full of themselves. If they honestly believe they converted to Islam because Islam "respects" women then yes I honestly believe they were brainwashed at some point. No logical person would associate Islam with women's rights.

14. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

It clearly states why in the article. Since you lack basic reading comprehension:

“It’s not because somebody made me do this,” explains Schreiber, who converted after a college study-abroad trip to West Africa. “It’s what I choose to do and I’m happy.”

When her students, ages 5 to 8, ask why she wears a headscarf, she always says the same thing: "It's something that's important to me and it reminds me to be a good person," says Minor, who is secretary for the Muslim Coalition of Connecticut.

“I just want people to know that there are American Muslim women who wear hijab by choice because they believe in it and it feels right to them, not because anyone tells them to.”

It has absolutely nothing with to do with arousal. It has to do with ogling and being judged based on looks.

What's laughable is that Pakistan has had a woman as Prime Minister. When has America had a female president? Women only just got equal rights in America, so get off your high horse.

15. fchowd0311

I'm pretty sure a Muslim women would much rather have the rights she has in the U.S. than in Pakistan.

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I don't much care what people wear.

17. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Good red herring.

18. nef2005

nef2005 Member

You would be referring to Benazir Bhutto, who was elected in 1988, right?

Women have had equal rights In the US since the 19th amendment in 1920 and we had a female Supreme Court Justice in 1981. We now have 3. Additionally, Hillary Clinton was not too far off from the Presidency, being beaten out by Obama in the Democratic Primaries.

Do we still have some work to do regarding equal pay? Sure. Are we light years ahead of Pakistan in terms of women's rights and treatment of women? You bet your ass we are. Less than 40% of your women can read. More than half of the students in our colleges are female.

19. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Being able to vote is not the same thing as having equal rights, just like almost having a chance to run in the presidential race is not the same as being the president. Then you go on to compare two completely different things (great fallacy btw).

I like how you say your women, as if I was from Pakistan.

Either way, we are digressing. The point I made was that women should have the right to choose to wear the veil or not. ATW agrees with an article that women should not have the choice, or the freedom to choose for themselves. The only other people who believe that women should not have the choice to choose are the fundamentalists from the other side.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can see the point of forcing the abolishment of veiling, even if it's still paternalistic.

The problem is that "choice" doesn't lie in a vacuum. This is much like the issue of drinking alcohol, where if you break that law then you lose all rights as a victim and deserve whatever harm onto you as a consequence. The distinctions in severity and scope of crimes are missing with that underlying cultural value judgement.

So ATW's idea is not fair, but the system he's calling it against needs that unfairness because decades of cruel oppression has made people there think it's normal and "traditionally backed by centuries (bull****) of practice".

In the case of veiling, it's totally in line with the blame the victim mentality where if an unveiled woman gets raped, she totally deserved it because she flaunted custom and made those men ape rage over her.

We have a long legacy of historical oppression just like that where secular laws attempting to equalize social norms by allowing choice is violently counteracted by men in power who feel threatened that their privileges are taken away.

Exchange that with a white hood or a brick thrown at your window.

And the response to that rape thread? Totally ridiculous. "If you don't like it there? Don't go :rolleyes: "

Apparently for that victim to prove it was rape rape, she needed 4 male witnesses to testify against the rape. Yeah, I'm sorry she don't know your **** laws before she went there, but if that doesn't scream a system violently driven against protecting women and instead, a system of protecting a group of men's property, then go **** yourself and have a nice day.

2 people like this.