1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Wallace gets $57 million from Bobcats

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.charlotte.com/456/story/193474.html

Sources: Wallace, Bobcats agree to deal

DAVID SCOTT
    dscott@charlotteobserver.com

ORLANDO, Fla. --
    Gerald brief time as an NBA free agent ended Wednesday when he agreed to a new contract with the Charlotte Bobcats, the Observer has learned.

Sources close to the negotiations said Wallace agreed to a six-year contract worth $57 million to return to the Bobcats, for whom he has played for three seasons. The sixth year of the deal is Wallace's option and he can make up to $2 million annually in bonuses.

Wallace became an unrestricted free agent when he opted out of his contract two weeks ago. After leading the Bobcats in scoring last season with an 18.1-point average and being among the league leaders in blocks and steals the past two seasons, he became one of the more attractive free agents on the market.

But Wallace repeatedly said wanted to remain in Charlotte, and the Bobcats wanted to keep him. Even before the agreement was reached, Wallace kept up with the team by sending text messages to a Bobcats official in Orlando asking how the team was doing in the pro summer league.

Locking up Wallace, who wasn't available for comment Wednesday, gives the Bobcats the most formidable lineup they've had as they enter their fourth season. By keeping Wallace and adding shooting guard Jason Richardson (from a draft-night trade with the Golden State Warriors), Charlotte will likely be expected to contend for an Eastern Conference playoff berth next season.

"I'm excited," said point guard Raymond Felton, whose job it will be to get the similarly athletic Wallace and Richardson the ball in a more up-tempo offense. "It's going to be great having two guys like that and being able to run with them. It'll be a lot of fun."

Wallace's contract puts him in the same financial ballpark as other forwards in the league such as Detroit's Tayshaun Prince and Dallas' Josh Howard, both of whom make about $10 million per year.

"I knew (Wallace) was coming back," Felton said. "He loves Charlotte and the Bobcats. It's just a process that he had to go through."

Re-signing Wallace hasn't been the only task for Bobcats executive vice president Bernie Bickerstaff and general manager Rod Higgins this summer. Next on their to-do list is signing Emeka Okafor to an extension, then they'll decide whether to re-sign center Jake Voskuhl, who also opted out of his contract. The Bobcats already have come to terms with free-agent guard Matt Carroll, signed first-round draft choice Jared Dudley and exercised the options of Walter Herrmann and Ryan Hollins.

2. roswell raygun

Nearly $10 million a year for Wallace? $20 million for Lewis? Crazy money is being thrown around right now. I don't might seeing the Rockets sit this game out for a while.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Has he improved his jumpshot any? Last time I remember him was when he was still playing in Sacramento.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's a contract starting at slightly over 7M with 10.5% yearly raises.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It has improved but he isn't an automatic jumpshooter.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My strongest memory of Gerald Wallace is how bad he was against us last season. He played like a chump.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Gerald Wallace had a nasty facial on Boki when he was back in Sacramento if I recall.

8. g1184

g1184 Member

[​IMG]

It was my background for a while.

9. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Gerald Wallace is NOT a 10 million (or 7.5 + 10.5% raise) dollar player. This is nuts. I have followed his career since he was a bench player with the kings, and yeah, he is explosiveness, but he does not have any other go-to offensive game. No turn around, no three ball, there is no way he will be the MAN on a team. But, I guess 10 mill or 20 mill doesnt make you the automatic MAN anymore :eek:

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The more they spend, the less the remaining players can ask.

[​IMG]
    Excellent

11. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

If he can stay healthy (70 games/year), this will be a great deal for the team.

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

At lease he stays in the sorry east

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This is a solid deal. Wallace may not be a premier go-to offensive player... but he's a defensive stud, and his overall offense has improved. Take a look at the last 30-40 games of the season that he played!

His jumper is still improving and has become decent. Respectable enough to complement his slashing game and turn him into a solid scorer. He could easily average 17 ppg. Potential to get up to 23 I'd say with some more work.

But even if he stays in the 15-17 ppg for his career, combine that with some solid rebounding, high number of steals, and a huge number of blocks from the swing position.. I'd say it's a sweet deal if, yeah, like JaWindex said...he plays 70 games a season at least.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wallace and Richardson! Going to be an exciting season in Charlotte. I hope they restructure the offense a little. Not like we will ever get to see them play on TV though. The team may set a sports center top 10 highlights record.

15. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Atleast Dallas didn't get him. The Mavs were hot on his trail.

16. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

The guy's only 24, and improving every year. I think he'll make himself worth the money.

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Thanks for pointing out the age, this is a tremendous signing.

I love Tom Ziller (from sactownroyalty.com)'s take:

[​IMG]

18. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Yeah I would say he could average 17 ppg easily considering he averaged 18 last year. He doesn't need to have a go to move now that Richardson will be taking shots in the clutch. This was very good value for the Bobcats. It makes the Rashard signing look like a joke.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ziller can eat it. Houston 8/10?
    -----------WTF?--------

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He's a Kings fan. Still pissed off about 1981.