1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Wallace Available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pcann, Dec 17, 2010.

1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

My dreams! No wait, my sig has been answered!!
    Btw I thought he was a pf

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know he was talking about Scola, but I just wanted him to say it. ;)

Also, I feel we would not be contenders even with the new Dwight because we lack defense at too many other starting positions. Our starting guards are 2 of the worst defenders in the league. Scola's hustle is great, but he is clearly a below average defender as well. On top of that our small forward position is completely up in the air. I have high hopes, but we have no clue what Terrence Williams will give us. Battier is a year older and Bud is looking like a D-League player.

I dunno....this season has left me pretty disheartened about the direction of the franchise. I hope Morey's hands are untied now with the Yao situation having some finality, because I don't see this core group of players (Martin, Scola, Brooks) taking us anywhere. Also, I don't see us acquiring a superstar/game changer other than thru the draft.

Cheers to rebuilding! :grin:

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Agreed about our starting backcourt.. but I think a dominating presence in the middle can hide all those deficiencies. Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter will never be remembered for their defense, but Orlando has maintained a great defensive team just by having Dwight. If you took him out of the middle and replaced him with Gortat, Orlando might struggle to make the playoffs.

I completely agree with your last paragraph. If you looked around at the third options of the elite teams, none of our players compare as far as talent or skill level. We need a complete rebuilding, not another band-aid to aid us in getting the 8th seed.

Here's to hoping Morey is as smart as we are! ;)

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4 years 36 mil with the 5th year being unguaranteed. 36 million....60 million....what's the difference? ;)

Orlando has been a pretender for 3 years now. They lose when they go against legit teams.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

get wallace or iggy.

would be lovely to have enough room to sign Gasol. not sure how realistic that is though.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wallace would be nice...combination of Battier and Wallace would be perfect.

[​IMG]

That, cash and a pick :cool:.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Good afternoon. :) Although having Wallace would be nice, why not give them Hill or Pat instead of our new Iguodala clone?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because Wallace would be playing his position.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Doesn't he play a little shooting guard also? (Thanks for not ignoring me.)

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

At this point, we don't need no more "middle of career" proven loser on this team. We need to preserve picks, young talents, and expirings for something big in case it comes up.

Big no.

1 person likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

A strong interior presence will typically hide many flaws of a poor perimeter D through sheer intimidation. It causes guard to have 2nd thoughts of penetrating when they understand that it may typically result in a tougher shot. The problem with Scola is not that he is bad at D, but rather he is too short, slow, and non-athletic to guard defenders one on one and not experienced/smart enough to herd opponents into harder shooting spots or help defense. AB and Martin are just pathetic defenders. Martin rarely tries and AB trails right behind.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thats the only thing about a trade for Wallace is we would probably have to give up a player that we need or want(Battier, Williams, Hill). Almost certainly.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I wish Clutch had banned you, but maybe you are just 15 or so and he is giving you a chance. Or he just didn't have the time to bother with it.

I'd like a lineup of

PG: Brooks, Lowry, Ish
    SG: Martin, Lee, Wallace
    SF: Battier, Wallace
    PF: Scola, Hayes, Patterson
    C: Miller, Hill, Hayes

Defensive lineup:

Lowry
    Wallace
    Battier
    Hayes
    Hill

Offensive lineup:

Brooks
    Martin
    Wallace
    Scola
    Miller

and any combination of it.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I like Wallace but this teams needs a superstar.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You can't "not" make moves just because its not a superstar. Any move you make that upgrades your team is one step closer to a superstar.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't need Wallace, by the time the team would be ready to challenge for a title, he would be too old.

DD

17. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Nonsense. Get Gortat and Wallace and make a run.

18. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Wallace + Gortat + return of Brooks, and bring him off the bench = Rockets are back in contention.

19. markus4040

markus4040 Member

His contract is atrocious !

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

False. He just turned 28 in July.