1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Wallace Available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pcann, Dec 17, 2010.

1. pcann

pcann Member

Just because I am new does not mean I am not a rockets fan and know about basketball. I thought this would be a good deal for us not for the other team or I wouldn't have posted it. Good job though

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Your really jusy ironically shooting your own foots with every counter argument. I fail to see how any of the negative posters Vs any trades have done any good to the conversation? Its not like your posting habits turned Amare Stoudemire into a bum, Rudy Gay, Artest with the Lakers, Ariza and success with the Hornets, or any other conversations into "hey we were right not to get that guy" moments. Maybe with Bosh slightly. Unless that winning streak by the Heat turns out not to be a fluke also.

3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The Bobcats were really high on T Williams going into last years draft before the Nets drafted him. So the trade will imo will start with him, but I doubt Morey would give him up.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

OP good idea. Cousins trades are good thoughts too. Kevin Love. Its not wrong to want other players here at this juncture on a sub 500 team.

5. theteam

theteam Member

If Adelman is so good with Knuckleheads ... why dont we take a chance with Gilbert Arenas!!!

6. MrJason

MrJason Member

Ehhh.. if they aren't trying because the refs are biased over there. They probably won't try that much over here either.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i don't think there is a worthwhile center to get right now on the trade market. there is thabeet if he is cheap, but that guy is a big time project. i dunno...maybe jason thompson? he doesn't look like a star, but he is a young guy who can play some center.

also, i disagree on the williams trade negating the need for a wallace-type player. williams is undersized for the 3, but he would fit great as a 2 imo. if williams can realize his potential then a lineup of lowry, williams, and wallace would be a nice starting point for a team that can play offense and defense.

i'd really prefer it if this team went away from guys like brooks, martin, and bud as our 1, 2, and 3 and went for guys like lowry, williams, and wallace who can play defense, pass, attack on offense, rebound, and score the ball too. lol granted we would still need a superstar, but at least it's in the mold hard nosed style team that can win in this league.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If they are trading their players to get better, how does downgrading to Battier and Budinger help?

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Wallace failed to grasp Adelman's offense when they were both in Sacramento. He barely got off the bench until he got to Charlotte. Sure, he's a great athlete and a talented player, but why don't we focus on getting someone who isn't set up to fail before he even gets here?

10. pcann

pcann Member

The article never said they want better players, they just want alot. This could mean alot expiring contracts, picks, etc. Shane Battier is expiring, Bud good young talent and a first round pick for their future (picks are also cheap). The way things are looking over there they have been cutting cost for the last year so we could even throw in JJ.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats obviously a trick question. He was a young player and rookie under Adelman who developed after he left. Could be the argument against that easily, but it was overlooked simply to fit the argument you laid against him conveniently leaving that part out.

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i can't believe people don't want gerald wallace on this team. his overall game is much betetr than battier's offensively ( more penetration drives to the basket, good mid-range jumpshooter), and defensively. (steals and blocks at the small forward position. ) :eek:

13. il italiano

il italiano Member

and tell me why the bobcats would trade wallace for just shane chase and a pick?

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Exactly my thoughts. We are in rebuild mode. If the player doesn't have a shot at future star power and is not young we don't need him.

#34 Old Man Rock, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. Raven

Raven Member

He'll be 29 this Summer. He's too old for a rebuilding team, and we are rebuilding, whether Morey wants to admit it or not.

16. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Wallace would instantly be our starter. I would hate to trade shane for him, because we are going to need shane in the locker room while we rebuild. It's one thing to collect young talent, but it's another thing to collect young talent without a leader.

I think talent wise Wallace is going to be the best we could reach for via trade or free agency for the next 2 years. The 2011 free agents are not game changers or major upgrades like Wallace could be. I think Jefferies+Bud+Brooks would be the likely trade that gets it done. They are in need of a PG so either Brooks or Lowry will be the victim. According to Bima's post about Lowry's contract Brooks will be the one traded. CHA may want Patterson or a pick included but I think that's a bit too much. Nonetheless you have to find a way to make it work.

Wallace give this team all the talents that EVERYONE has been asking for for some time. Size, shooting, defense, rebounding, shotblocking, and athleticism. Some might say that his price tag is too big for a rebuilding team but I would disagree. You still need talent on the team and with Yao expiring, the team should be OK cap wise.

Getting Wallace would indicate that Morey and Les want to still compete while growing...which is extremly HARD to do.

We would still need to get Thabeet + Randolph to give us size at other positions.

I would like to see us go after BOTH Wallace and IGGY but I'm concerned that getting one of them will cost us too many "assets" to get the other, plus Battier is sure to be in one of the trades.

(Starters) / (Bench) / (Alt. Positions)

Lowry / Lee / Williams
    Martin / Iggy / Williams
    Wallace / Williams / Randolph
    Scola / Hill / Randolph / Hayes
    Thabeet / Miller / Hill / Yao

You would create a team full of athletes, young talent, and 2-way players except Martin, Miller, and Hayes (who shouldnt get out of plain clothes unless another player get injured)

The trade could look like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2anvpbl

Or we could TRADE YAO for BOTH Jackson and Wallace. (It works in Trade Machine, but I think they would want Brooks included)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=24m9hy4

17. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

lol too greedy roxfan

18. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

yeah i know. i couldnt but help throw in some wishful thinking. but i'm still with getting wallace, randolph, & thabeet. I think between 3 lottery picks (Williams, Randolph, Thabeet) we are bound to strike gold somewhere.

19. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Please trade chase and shane, he has a better offensive game and good defensive i like it ;)

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member