1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Gerald Green (Offense) Vs. Trevor Ariza (Defense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Which is more valuable to us for the playoffs and in general moving forward?

1. Gerald Green (Offense)

2. Trevor Ariza (Defense)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

luc has never been a good starting forward since hes been in the league. Alot of fans around here are just getting their first look at LMM this year. theres a reason why nobody wanted him and the rockets took a chance on him. thats bc he is better suited off the bench and a decent option if you get bit by an injury bug. but his track record shows hes not an ideal full time starter

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Ariza gets some steals in the passing lanes at times, however I feel his one on one defense at this stage of his career is a bit over rated.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Green and Ariza shoot the same number of threes per game, on average, when they play, and the three-point percentages are similar. The difference is Ariza has been doing it all season and Green has played 12 games (and was on an unprecedented hot streak).

You have to play Ariza. He has great chemistry with the core, knows where to be be and has the full trust of the coach.

Having said that, Ariza's defense has slipped some. He's always had great length for defense but he's not quite able to play the Westbrooks or Currys anymore, as the Rockets tended to assign him that from time to time. Given he's part of the State Farm crew and has been mostly underpaid now for four seasons... I do not envy the Rockets this summer having to handle this one.

4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Not sure if it’s been said yet but a better poll would be Green vs. Ryno

seeingredtx likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc green is a stretch 4?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think Gerald Green is fool's gold. If he isn't hitting his 3 he's pretty much a big negative

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Why not play him as a stretch 4? It’s not like ryno can play any defense and his shot is too inconsistent.

Plus, green can get to the rim, especially with all that great spacing.

Or would you rather see ryno pump fake, take 2 dribbles and then pass the ball back to harden?

D-rock likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

people think ryno is someone who just gets scored on all day long. thats far from the truth. im not a fan of putting a team out of position for an entire stretch of the game. this is going the T Lue route who is a dumb coach. yeah you can play small for stretches but not over the course of a full game. thats just setting yourself up for mismatches and effecting the rhythm of a team. people have their problems with certain guys in the lineup but trying to make all these changes just bc is far from the answer for a team that is 35-13. And that includes victories over the best team in the league.

The ideal goal is to put your guys in the best position to succeed and win games. Not to make changes just bc you have an issue with certain players.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I don’t remember Green always being this good of a shooter.....The true rockets fan inside me thinks it’s too good to be true...I guess I have been use to disappointment in players over the last couple decades.

With that being said. There is a reason why Ariza has his contract and Green wasn’t playing in the league. I hope we found a 32 year old diamond but if he can step in for the temporary I’m good with his offense over defense in the short term.

I will get my desire for Luc to start at SF though...

D-rock likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Trevor Ariza's offense is more closer to Gerald Green's offense then Gerald Green's defense is to Trevor Ariza's defense therefore Ariza is more valuable.

11. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

This sentence is really good sentence

seeingredtx and hakeem94 like this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Morey will let Ariza walk for nothing if it comes to that. The guy turns 33 this summer. I think Harden, CP3 and Ariza himself understand what's probably going to happen.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

I dont think they're not going to just let him walk that easily. nothing really says both sides are on they're way to go separate ways

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think AT WORSE . . . Morey will hook Ariza up with a FAT Sign and Trade

Rocket River

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Wow... we have some dumbass fans... Green is a 32 year old player that we picked off the trash heap because not a single NBA team wanted him while Ariza is a highly respected and productive veteran in the league for years who's performance suffers from playing too many minutes.

YOLO likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's up to Ariza. If he compromises enough, they should work something out.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

if the rockets continue to have the season theyre having, i dont see much of an issue for both sides to come to an agreement

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you find yourself agreeing with cheke on anything Rockets related, you should probably rethink your life choices.

D-rock, Reeko and topfive like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Which is more valuable to us for the playoffs and in general moving forward?
    1. Gerald Green (Offense)
    2. Trevor Ariza (Offense & Defense)

D-rock and A_3PO like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

pretty much

Ariza>>Green, no debate

no coach in this league would have a choice between Ariza or Green in their starting lineup and pick Green...Ariza is a lot more valuable on the court than he is