1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Springer to DL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BossHogg713, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Guessing Kemp will be involved in a trade at some point if he's not the one being called up. Maybe they don't want his value to drop if he were to struggle at the major league level.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the .324/.439/.588 slash is speaking for itself... and prior to this year, he'd had significantly more AB's against right-handers vs. lefties.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It would be nice for Rule 5 considerations not to call him up, so we can use the extra roster spot, but that is the only negative I could envision. It didn't hold them back with McCullers or Correa, but those were also more permanent moves.

Maybe they also want Kemp to have more time at AAA. IDK, but of course nobody can replace George.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm hoping upcoming deals will help negate Rule 5 issues a bit. TBD.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

yes, but i've been saying that for a loooooong time

6. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Pissy cheap-shoting Royals threw at Springer, Altuve, and Gattis (narrowly missing). Now one of our best players is out 6-8 with a bone fracture. Not a baseball man so I'm wondering what the appropriate response would be? Do we even have the backbone to do anything about it?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Oberholtzer will be up next time Astros play Royals.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't care who's pitching--can't wait for 7/24. Kinda hoping it isn't Keuchel/McCullers given the potential issues

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Would like to see Josh Fields come in and put one in the back of Mustakus or Gordon.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It didn't seem like he threw at him on purpose but he did go inside on the next 2 guys as well so who knows.

11. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Calling kemp up and putting him on the 40-man limits their flexibility to trade him as, if his on the 40-man, the receiving team would have to have, or make, room on their 40-man for him.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How many times have we always implored our guys to "give them something to think about", or said "they just look too damn comfortable up there" when our opponents were teeing off?

Again, the Royals should be held accountable when guys repeatedly get hurt by their "antics"... but pitching inside and making batters think twice about leaning over the plate is a part of the game... especially when your team has been owned the entire series, and can't afford to give up more runs or risk getting swept.

No intent... but just an unfortunate/unlucky result.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

He apologized to Springer to boot. Springer gave him a "no worries" gesture when he got to 1st last night.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I promise you he didn't try to hit anyone in such a close game. If you look at the pitches, he hit Marwin on a swing. Altuve & Springer were both on sort of check swings. They really only got hit like they did because they were turning into the pitches. If any one was intentional, I think it would of been Neshek, though I don't think he would do that protecting a 1 run lead (though with 2 outs, it was the right time).

I think it was clear Herrera didn't have good control, and it was just one that got away from Volquez.

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

well...Springer was a relative no-show in April and didn't start heating up until the second part of May. The Astros had other guys pick him up then and need to do so again now.

I think an outfield of Tucker/Marisnick/Rasmus/Presley could be decent and Lowrie should be coming back as well...Lowrie should give the lineup an OBP boost and help set off the loss of Springer somewhat. Also, here's to hoping Tucker and Marisnick find their early season mojo again and Rasmus keeps mashing. I believe! (the Astros can fly)

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And just to be clear, I was just joking on Oberholtzer. Granted, he couldn't hit a batter if he tried.

17. astros1981

astros1981 New Member

It's really disappointing to see this type of injury happen. I hope he's a fast healer.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep

Springer will be on the 60-day DL... or won't play in the ML for 60 days

How will the Astros retaliate when we play KC later this month?

#78 Houstunna, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  19. Mashing

Mashing Member

There about a 0% chance the benches do not clear the next time we face the Royals.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

There is also the possibility of GAttis at LF, especially on home games where you dont need to cover much, and with Marisnick, who covers a lot of ground can help