1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Springer: Should he lead off?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, May 25, 2017.

?

Should he lead off?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2017.
  1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Undecided (sample size too small)

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

On the surface, what you're saying makes sense. But you are only considering the part, rather than the whole, so you're oversimplifying lineup decisions. At least part of the reason the Astros have been so successful is the substantial production from all parts of the lineup.

2. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

The whole may result in a better team RISP, less LOBs, less DPs by low RISP guys, and more run production.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yet they have the best record in baseball, lead the AL in run differential, runs scored, OPS, Slugging, and average (third in OBP). They have averaged 5.85 runs per game in May - coincidentally the exact time you made your initial post bemoaning the Astros lineup and saying it needs to change due to their lack of runs being scored. They are on pace to score 800+ runs which is rare to do (generally 0-2 teams accomplish this every year in the AL).

Again, their current stats and production as a team are a fact. Again, I ask you to come up with one FACTUAL statement proving that they could be doing better. You simply can't. No one can. You move Springer, then that causes a ripple affect up and down the lineup. Face it....the vast majority of non-Amistad Consultants, will go with the Luhnow/Hinch strategy rather than the #billgatesmoney #imakethingshappen strategy.

#83 bobrek, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've mentioned numerous times how slumps and hot streaks are lagging indicators. This thread was started in morning of May 25, 2017. Since the start of this thread..
    .318/.375/.591

While I think those numbers aren't sustainable, just maybe the way the OP is evaluating stats on proposing lineup changes is horribly flawed.

5. the shark

the shark Member

How many times a game is Springer guaranteed to lead off an inning? Once at the beginning of the game.

Considering how the bottom of the lineup has been hitting having Springer come up with men on base (and hitting .324 RISP) seems pretty damn good to me.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you should add #Obamaismyclient

Is it a coincidence that Hinch got sick, and then we call in the 16 run lineup? I bet with stupid Hinch back today, we won't score 16 runs again.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I got his attention, didn't I?

;)

8. bobrek

Hinch was still on the bench in the 8th inning.

9. Major

Major Member

Impossible!

Besides, doesn't the bottom of our order have some insanely good stats, meaning that Springer effectively serves as an RBI guy for all the times those guys are getting on base.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think your best hitter should get the most at bats so I think the top 3 should be altuve, correa, and Gonzalez.

jim1961 likes this.
  11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but he was having fever dreams, so it was delirious Hinch there. The lineup knew it was not typical stupid Hinch, and that's why they scored 11 runs.

12. Buck Turgidson

Yep, he forgot to tell them to make that 3rd out in the 8th.

13. bobrek

ahhhhhh...I see....

#sickHinchbetterthanstupidHinch

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I've never been a huge fan of Springer batting leadoff, but for the most part it seems to be working. I'd be interested in trying out other guys in that spot when they play though...maybe Marisnick, Aoki, even Bregman? Idk

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Also this probably isn't the right thread for this but I keep seeing Hinch comments so... just bc the Astros have the best record in baseball right now doesn't prove Hinch is a good manager. We have a ton of talent, and I do admit he has done a better job this year. Still, I don't know if I can ever forgive him for continuing to let OLIVER F-ING PEREZ mess up the late innings in half of the games we played in 2015. ESPECIALLY GAME 2 @ KC. Ugh.... Hinch...

T for 3 likes this.
  16. bobrek

So, players can improve, but managers can't? You extol the virtues of Marwin, yet prior to this month, Marwin was an extremely average player over the course of his career. You have used his phenomenal May to claim he is now one of their 3 best hitters. Why doesn't Hinch get the same benefit of the doubt?

As things stand today, (realistically) I would rather have this exact team, this exact lineup, this exact coaching staff, manager and GM. Insert anything else into the mix and there is no guarantee that they would have the best record in baseball.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Some folks around here have incredibly short memories. Also, they will act like any time you call out Hinch, you are saying he is an awful manager and the team sucks. Just preparing you for what you might hear.

Edit: good timing bob

18. bobrek

Just asking the question. Can't managers improve? (with the exception of Bo Porter of course) For the most part, he has artfully managed the bullpen and playing time among the position players to where some are having unprecedented success.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Some people are like that. Some people, like myself, don't particularly like it Hinch takes grief for reasonable and/or decision-science supported moves that don't pan out.

Purely going off record, Hinch has been right a whole lot. He's the front-runner for MOY.

20. Buck Turgidson

"Absolutely not." -- Joe Torre

eric.81 likes this.