1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl on Iverson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, Nov 19, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This story is a couple of days old but I didn't see it posted.

George Karl: Allen Iverson was 'frustrating' to coach
    FREE PRESS STAFF REPORTS • November 17, 2008

Read Comments(18)RecommendPrint this page E-mail this article Share this article: Del.icio.us
    Facebook
    Digg
    Reddit
    Newsvine
    Buzz up!
    Nuggets coach George Karl told the Denver Post that now that Chauncey Billups is his point guard and not Allen Iverson, the Nuggets have fewer bad plays and more good plays.

"I don't think there's any question coaching a team for many minutes, without a passing and point guard mentality, is frustrating for a coach. Sometimes I saw something, but I couldn't get it done on the court because I didn't have a playmaker out there," Karl said in the Denver Post.

Billups and Iverson were apart of a trade on Nov. 3 that sent the 2004 NBA Finals MVP to his hometown and sent the 2001 NBA MVP to the Pistons.

Since the deal, the Nuggets are 5-1. The Pistons are 3-3.

Karl also said he thinks the trade will benefit the Pistons as well. But, he was very complimentary towards Billups' recent play, and not so much so when discussing Iverson's tenure in Denver.

"A.I., at times, had trouble trusting the guy he's throwing it to," Karl said.

2. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

Well, Karl is right. Not sure you want to air it out like that but he's 100% right about Iverson. Denver will win the Northwest this year.

3. Asian Sensation

We'll see how things go in the playoffs. I still can't see the Nuggets getting out of the first round.

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

If he got Iverson to be a pass first point guard he was a complete and utter idiot.

For that reason I don't think Iverson will care what he has said.

5. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

I don't either. They'll win the Northwest but will lose to the 5th seed, whatever team that will be. They have a better shot at winning a playoff series now than they did with Iverson though.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

It's not like they had trouble scoring.

This is something he should of just kept to himself. Or said it in a way where he wasn't putting down A.I.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Karl needs to be fired.

8. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

What's wrong with what he said? He didn't insult Iverson, he just said something we all know...AI isn't a point guard.

9. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Karl has always been an ass. Scoring was never their problem, it was defense. That is the coaches fault.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

That is not all he said.

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

You dont trade for one of the greatest scorers in NBA history and then p*ss and moan when he comes in and keep scoring rather than being a point guard.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

To Iverson's credit, the pistons did beat the lakers on their home court.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They had their share of problems on both ends. Half-court offense was a big one.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

makes no difference, nuggets will still get knock out at the 1st round by rox. 7th seed vs 2nd seed. :)

15. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

They mentioned on ESPN during the pre-game or maybe at the half-time show that Rip Hamilton is getting about 3 less shots (20% of his shots) with AI as point guard.

#15 rocketsregle, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Along with their prior offseason moves, what this trade does is refresh the Nuggets roster enough to give George Karl a 2nd chance. Sort of like moving him to another team. Don't worry, this group will get tired of him eventually. If it doesn't happen this season, the Nuggets might end up with a decent record. Karl seems renewed and looks like he's back to feisty old, talkative self.

17. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I agree, I think if I were a coach, Iverson would be the last guy I want on my team. He is a nightmare. If I were an owner I would love him. Save that Iverson does deserve respect for his capability and heart, he Also sells a boat load of merchandise and seats. In terms of winning, anyone with a whats the big deal of practice mentality can't be good for a team. He is a high volume shoot first player that I would only take a risk on if I had vets on a tema like KG or Shaq who could keep him in check. He gets stats, but usually isn't efficient, he gets assist, it usually is when he is looking for a bucket himself. He is the type that can only contribute to the team with the ball in his hand, oeither score, or someone gets an assist off of him, he can't just gel and fit in a team. I think he is good, I enjoy his game, but I would never want him on my team.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

George Karl rips players, in other news, sun rises in morning.

19. Christopher

Christopher Member

Ive got to put my hand up and say Iverson is one of my favorite players of all time.

Have a look at that CRAP team he had in Philly, and he took them to the finals!

Because of that, I wouldn't question his ability to win ever. He has been the number one guy on some terrible teams, and on his back alone those teams have had deep playoffs runs.

I can think of another shooting guard that can not say the same thing....

20. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Way to stick up for your players there, coach. :rolleyes:

That dude is an idiot. They can't play D worth a lick. Who's fault is that? And which moron went to get Iverson as a pass-first PG? They're going to get bounced out of the playoffs early again.

I just hope we're not.