1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl is the only one qualified to coach this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Apr 30, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

How is SVG going to coach the Rockets when he and Dwight have a history? How would Dwight feel about the Rockets hiring SVG?

I think SVG would be the perfect coach to coach this team... but I just don't know about the dynamic with Dwight.

2. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

90's Supersonics? Heard've them? Some of the best defensive teams EVER. Coached by who?

As far as plays, your just making up crap. Karl runs plays, and runs them effectively.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Always thought of him as a gimmick coach. Is that because of his Sonics days? I don't know. I just don't think he would get it done.

I like some of these new coaches that are out there - Portland's coach, Charlotte's coach, Memphis' coach - I bet there's somebody out there like that for the Rockets. Maybe Finch? I don't know enough about him as I should, though I would think he would step up to contribute defensively if he was really that good of a coach.

4. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Van Gandy Brothers or Hollins

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Illegal Defense"

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah,
    I heard of that George Karl who played illegal defense against the Rockets because they couldn't guard Hakeem with legal defense
    and he did it so many times that the refs wouldn't call it everytime.
    I remember.

No.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ax9n6JJgq-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

defenses have changed a lot since the 90s. pretty clear the defensive performance in the 00s were lacking.

he ran the same fast paced offense of transition, 3s, lay ups, and FTs.

8. NotChandlerParsons

He's always been pushing the envelope. That last Nuggets team had players out of bounds all the time (now illegal) and also switched more than nearly anyone on defense. It was a pretty solid defensive team if you consider their personnel: no real defensive anchor (Koufos was okay but not great, McGee/Mozgov were awful), point guard rotation of Lawson/Miller. Hard to imagine he could do worse than Howard/Asik.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Do worse WITH Howard/Asik I mean. Although Asik might be gone next season.

10. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

George Karl is senile

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/JhPADaiM-6g?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/JhPADaiM-6g?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ImpgBc9TzA4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ImpgBc9TzA4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

That was 20 years ago, can't live in the past. Besides, his defense was not exactly legal.

But what's most concerning is in an interview, he admitted that he was not "a big man" coach. How do you think Howard would feel if he doesn't get his touches in the post?

I don't have a link to the story but someone on clutchfans posted it.

12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

The guy is great and along with other guys named, definitely should be a candidate if we choose to go another direction from McHale.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/george_karl/

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Meh on karl. great up-tempo offense, average half court O and defense. good motivator that wears out his welcome.

Lionel Hollins would be my choice. followed by SVG (history w dwight, but both keep in touch and have a positive relationship, they could make it work with a more matured dwight).

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

that's rich coming from a coach with no rings

15. amak316

amak316 Member

I bet we let McHale finish out his 4th year here. Morey has made it clear that he doesn't feel this team is a contender yet and until he finishes out the roster I doubt he makes Les pay two coaches at the same time. Even the best coach maybe in history is estimated to be only worth 12 wins (phil jackson), and hes unavailable. I doubt George Karl would be better than +5-6 wins vs McHale, and that isn't putting us over the top.

If we have a big off season and the roster begins to look like a finished product then and only than can I see a McHale-less 2014-2015 Rockets team.

1 person likes this.
  16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He when to the NBA finals in 96 with the Sonics and got past the first round and when to conference finals with various teams he coached.(Sonics, Bucks, Nuggets) He when to the west finals in 2009 with the Nuggets. And the last years he coached the Nuggets he never got past the first round because of average and crappy players he had on his team. But look how he still manage to advance to the Playoffs with average players? George Karl is the fit for this team and is what this team needs.

17. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

quite hilarious to see it spit out from a fan when his team only make 2nd round once in past 15 years. you can put it on JVG too, he achieved nothing but first round exit with rockets, yet so many guys on this board want him.

under this hot mess I dont think you can cherry pick who get to sit on the hot seat, available options are limited and George Karl is a better one. if either Doc or Marc Jax were available next season then this is a different story, one of them will end up first round exit and probably get fired, should be a good choice but hey, another Doc/Marc first round exit Rivers/Jackson, must be a bad coach.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

McHale's 4th year is a team option. The Rockets wouldn't be paying 2 coaches next season. If McHale is on the payroll in 2014-15, it's because the Rockets exercised that option which means they actually want him back. If Morey and Les do that, they're not serious about winning. And they're deluding themselves if they think this guy can lead the team to a title. They may get out of the first round next season depending on who they match up with, but there's no way McHale could ever coach the Rockets to the Conference Finals much less the championship.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

HAhaha

snake in the grass

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Heh. Nice thread bump. I'll concede(well, again as I've already admitted it in other threads) I was wrong about McHale. The jury's still out on whether he can coach the Rockets to a title(I think he can), but he did get them to the Conference Finals and in an improbable manner too.

BTW, Karl may still be a good coach(again, the jury's still out). But he's been a disastrous hire so far for the Kings. If it's true that he's trying to run Cousins out of town, they'll really regret giving him the reigns.