1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl is the only one qualified to coach this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Apr 30, 2014.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

OMG, why everyone is so high on this guy..? he is good offensive coach with no defensive mentality

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

True. I mean aside from him coaching the one team that could stop Dream in the early-to-mid 90's.

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

Karl is not the man for the job. His teams aren't known for defense. He doesn't really run plays. His half court offense is pretty much what Mchale already does.

We need someone that runs plays, someone that stresses defense, someone that will get in hardens face if he doesn't play defense.

My coaching candidate would be Lionel Hollins.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah by cheating.

Zone defenses were illegal at that time, and that's all Karl did was coach his players to game the system and play zone. That's not good coaching, that's just being a bad guy.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey will never hire Lionel Hollins

6. tzou88

tzou88 Member

SVG or bust.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Maybe not. But morey needs to adjust. He can't only depend on his advanced analytics. Didn't say it would happen but Hollins is the right coach.

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Can people name other coaches with a better resume?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Karl

Those Denver teams lacked a true second superstar, Carmelo was young and Iverson was selfish and getting older. He still got to the western conference finals with Melo and Billups, a much more mature PG.

SVG lost in the finals as well and lost to Kobe instead of Jordan. JVG hasn't sniffed a finals neither has Hollins, although I don't mind them for defense I question their offensive track record.

Sloan is also an excellent two way coach. Frankly Doc Rivers is the guy I'd like if Sterling stays and he quits.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Let's face it. On paper, this Rox team is better than the Trailblazers, no doubt about it.

The reason this team is 1-3 is that game end management is terrible. The team can not maintain a lead when there are 5 minutes left. The team defense is terrible. There is no system whatsoever.

Any coach who has a system is going to be better than McHale, but do you want anybody who has a system? You also want someone who has a proven record in the playoff, somebody who can manage the egos of Howard and Harden.

Phil Jackson would be the best coach for this team, but he is too old to coach, and he is not going to come anyway.

By the way, Rox has to get a defensive SF to cover for Harden, there is absolutely NO way for any coach to manage this team when you have your PG as the anchor for perimeter defense.

1 person likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think George Karl is a good coach. But if we are calling for a coach's fire because he is trailing 1-3 in a first round playoff series! shouldn't we remember that George Karl got sacked from Denver because his team kept on losing in the first round?

11. sun12

sun12 Member

No, the reason people want to let McHale go is that Rox underperformed. On paper, the team should be better than Trailblazers.

Why can't Rox hold leads when there are 5 minutes remaining? Why is team defense so terrible in the last 5 minutes of the game? Most importantly, you need Harden to play at least adequate defense. McHale has lost Harden on this. So there you go.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They cheated a little, but I watched a lot of those games. They simply ran three guys at Dream the moment the ball was given to him in the post. Their defensive strategy was simple. Someone other than Dream was going to beat them. And until the Rockets got Barkley, no one else on their team could step up and get it done.

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

McHale has strong suits and flaws, which is why fans and media outlets think he is mediocre.

Compare the coaches I named, Karl, Sloan and Rivers and compare their playoff achievements vs McHale's. Compare the talent they had vs what McHale has now in their first round exits. All have been to the finals and Rivers has won a chip.

They are all a tier above McHale imo.

If the Rox miraculously get out of the first round, they will have at least came close to expectations for the season with this talented group. The McHale will then likely have much better support, or at least less animosity.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm not sold on Karl. My choice is a coach that has made scrubs or chuckers play better. Jeff Hornaceck, Rick Carlisle, Jerry Sloan... he also has to force defense

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This love for Karl reminds me of that of Nate McMillan a few years ago. I guess they wrote a lot of heart touching articles and voila.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yeah, Karl, and Sloan... why not get Mailman to come coach us on mid range shots, and Stockton to teach JLin, and then we can get Ainge and Fisher to teach everyone to be jackasses. :rolleyes:

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Yes, it's exactly 4-5months old! Do you think Carmelo has forgotten this by now?

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Jeff Hornacek is regarded as a better coach this year than McHale has been with lesser talent.

Is it about winning or holding a grudge for a coach that isn't competing against us anymore?

Go with the best available coach to win a ring if McHale can't do it imo.

19. NotChandlerParsons

Eh, although zone defenses are allowed these days, the best defenses usually get away with a lot of crap. If the refs are going to let you do it, you should do it, regardless of what the rules say.

20. bmd

bmd Member

Good point.