1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Hill and Utah Jazz cannot reach a deal on contract extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Vivi, Feb 28, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

man seeing what guys like alan crabbe got though o_Oo_O

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, but sometimes you got to just time it right.

It's like Dan Duncan, a now deceased Houston billionaire. Nobody wants to die, OF COURSE, but he happened to pass I think in 2010, which was the one year that there was no estate tax in America, because the previous law expired and a new one hadn't been put into place yet, so the dude's whole multi-billion estate passed to the next generation tax free. random comment I know... just pointing out sometimes timing works to your favor.

Plus, Crabbe was (is) a young 20's, improving, good three point shooting player. Hill is equally good player, but at 30 this year, you just don't want to be on the hook for $20+ million to him when he's 34 years old. That, combined with the fact that the cap dynamics won't be the same. The cap doesn't jump as much and there won't be as many teams with significant space.

Here's an article from December for example. Key line: The days of players like Bismack Biyombo, Tyler Johnson, Luol Deng, Allen Crabbe and Timofey Mozgov getting contracts starting at $15 million a year are likely over. The market for quality role players may drop down to the $8.4 million MLE. That doesn’t mean a few free agents won’t be overpaid this summer, that seems to be an inevitability every year – but not on the scale of 2016.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/projecting-2017-18-nba-cap-room-under-new-deal-terms/

Then you're left with teams that have the room but perhaps not the fit there. Like the Rockets could make the room, but aren't about to do so to pay Hill $25 million a year. Conversely, teams like the Lakers, or Nets and the like have and/or can make the room, but likely just don't want Hill in any scenario, since they aren't win-now type teams. He's "stuck" with hoping to find that perfect match of overpay...

Which certainly may happen.

But I'm kind of shocked they couldn't come to an agreement on an extension. Utah is the exact type of team where he needs to stay to maximize his value, and they probably offered him a lot of money, even if I don't believe they offered the full $25 million a year. Not to mention, it looks like Hill is getting paid $8 million this year. Not sure how the extension works exactly, but if it included a bump to $13.6 million as the article notes and he gets 100% of that bump regardless of the fact the season is 2/3 over, that's an additional $5.6 million in the PRESENT.

Maybe he just doesn't want to play in Utah.

YOLO likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

San Antonio makes a ton of sense there. Pop loved him. He may be 30 but that isn't terribly old, especially for his style of play. He's always been an intelligent player and great shooter, both of which tend to age well. He and Kawhi would be crazy good together.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, we just gave up another 1st to take a similar but less good player to play him 2 months and maybe another 12...just saying.

Not saying we should've 101% go all in on Hill, but it would have been a good move if we're all in like it seems and like a lot of people here want...

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

The pick we gave up is like 27th, the 12th pick would've been lottery. How's that even remotely the same? Lol

Posters here want to go all in all the time because all they care about is the present. It's not their ass on the line later on so they don't give any ****s about the future.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

True but in a worse draft, and remains to be seen for this season, our pick can still drop about a couple of positions. Also, Hill is a better player than Lou so it's ok if you have to pay a bit more for him.

However, just to be clear, i agree with the second part of your post so i'm not complaining that much, i mean, i am, but for the pick, not because we should've necessarily used it for Hill ;)

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

The Spurs don't have enough for Hill. They still gotta keep Dedmon.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Imagine Kawhi and Paul George for Indy all these years. LBJ would have faced some stiff competition out in the East

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bruh 30% of the cap for George Hill? C'mon man, 20 mill should be top dollar for him.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would be a really nice pickup for the Spurs If he would take less.

14. DMO (DJ remix)

There's not that much money to go around, i don't think he will get much more than 20, but i've been wrong before.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, and i think for this amount of money he signs with the Spurs. Nobody is giving him more money anyway imo.

16. hlcc

hlcc Member

FYI, Utah Jazz traded the 12th pick for this 1 year George Hill rental.

17. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

pass hes never healthy

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Git'er done!

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Never healthy, wrong side of 30, demanding a max even though he's not even a top 50 player. Nah.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member