1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

General standing in the way of war with Iran resigns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

He also apposed the surge

Fallon Resigns As Mideast Military Chief

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said that Adm. William J. Fallon had asked for permission to retire and that Gates agreed. Gates said the decision, effective March 31, was entirely Fallon's and that Gates believed it was "the right thing to do."

Fallon was the subject of an article published last week in Esquire magazine that portrayed him as opposed to President Bush's Iran policy. It described Fallon as a lone voice against taking military action to stop the Iranian nuclear program.

Fallon, who is traveling in Iraq, issued a statement through his U.S. headquarters in Tampa, Fla.

"Recent press reports suggesting a disconnect between my views and the president's policy objectives have become a distraction at a critical time and hamper efforts in the Centcom region," Fallon said.

"And although I don't believe there have ever been any differences about the objectives of our policy in the Central Command area of responsibility, the simple perception that there is makes it difficult for me to effectively serve America's interests there," Fallon added.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/huffington_post:main_feed_503:bdeec76e0515d5cab20d81ab1d02ceba

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a truly dickish, and misleading, thread title.

3. mc mark

The Man Between War and Peace

I'll accept your apology now.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Poor choice in the thread's title.

Here's a completely different look at the situation...from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/11/fallon.resigns/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Adm. William Fallon has resigned as chief of U.S. forces in the Middle East and Central Asia after more than a year in the post, citing what he called an inaccurate perception that he is at odds with the Bush administration over Iran.

Adm. William Fallon had been serving as chief of U.S. forces in the Middle East and Central Asia since 2007.

Fallon, the head of U.S. Central Command, was the subject of a recent Esquire magazine profile that portrayed him as resisting pressure for military action against Iran, which the Bush administration accuses of trying to develop nuclear weapons.

In a written statement, he said the article's "disrespect for the president" and "resulting embarrassment" have become a distraction.

"Although I don't believe there have ever been any differences about the objectives of our policy in the Central Command area of responsibility, the simple perception that there is makes it difficult for me to effectively serve America's interests there," he said.

In Washington, Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters at the Pentagon that he accepted Fallon's resignation "with reluctance and regret."

But he added, "I think it's the right decision."

Don't Miss
    Esquire: The man between war and peace
    "We have tried between us to put this misperception behind us over a period of months, and, frankly, just have not been successful in doing so," he said.

Fallon, a 41-year veteran of the Navy, took over as chief of Central Command in early 2007. Gates said he will be replaced by Lt. Gen. Martin Dempsey, his deputy, who commanded an Army division in Iraq in the early days of the war and led efforts to train the Iraqi military. E-mail to a friend

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[rquoter]n a written statement, he said the article's "disrespect for the president" and "resulting embarrassment" have become a distraction.

"Although I don't believe there have ever been any differences about the objectives of our policy in the Central Command area of responsibility, the simple perception that there is makes it difficult for me to effectively serve America's interests there," he said.[/rquoter]

6. mc mark

Uh huh

A decorated, 41 year vet is going to abruptly retire because of a perception of disrespect.

*snicker*

7. Major

Major Member

That's the perfect non-denial. There are no differences in the objectives (preventing a nuclear Iran). The differences are in the methods. If it wasn't true, he would have been far more clear denial.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Well, regardless of why the man is resigning...if what's said is true, then we got a problem.

Stability in Iraq? It is just about time for American troops to enter another quagmire. :eek:

Mhmm. Bush's legacy; tying the hands of future presidents so that thier legacies get messed up too.

9. pchan

pchan Member

I don't really care the real reason that he retires. I think any reasonable man can figure it for himself.

I just wished we won't enter a war against Iran. That would be disastrous.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

General?

He's in the Navy.

[​IMG]

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

stupid title

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Awesome title