1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gene Peterson appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Feb 11, 2014.

1. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

Gene Peterson and Jim Foley were the best in the business. Craig Ackerman can't hold their jockstrap. Ackerman does a poor job of painting the picture and gets excited when the other team scores. He needs to be replaced.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Craig Ackerman is great. He does a good job. Yeah. He has huge shoes to fill. You grew up with gene, so he's awesome. You didn't grow up with Craig, so it's not the same.

25 years from now, someone is gonna say Craig was awesome,
    This new guy blows.

It's like the whole we need to go back to the old jersey thing. They were ugly, but we like it cause we won in them.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Ackerman is doing a fantastic job. he was groomed personally to be GP's replacement.

you can download the NBA Gametime app or the new Houston Rockets app for coverage.

I think it's also available for free on nba.com audio league pass

#23 across110thstreet, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

If they were still on the radio i wouldn't care about the CSN-H saga.

1 person likes this.
  5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

last night Ackerman described his job as "theater of the mind".

anyone who says he doesn't do a good job of painting a mental image of what's going on just doesn't know good play by play radio.

he gets passionate when the other team scores or makes a run because it's an emotional roller coaster of ups and downs, this game of basketball.

Craig watched GP call the shots and served as his de facto assistant once Jim Foley was not well enough to finish the season.

then, he sat back and watched Jim and Gene call their final game in their illustrious career together, knowing he would be taking over the reins of an almost impossible role to fill.

Craig Ackerman would be first in line to celebrate in a Gene Peterson appreciation thread.

let's not let nostalgia get in the way of something good brewing in Houston.

after all, he already gave us this gem, I look forward to many more...

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My problem with Craig is that I honestly can't tell if we're winning half of the time or even making shots. He calls them so soft unless it's a three pointer but he always gets excited for the other team. It gets confusing.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Craig referenced this thread on the air during last night's game. His partner made some crack about keeping up with the action or something, and Craig said something to the effect of, "Yeah, well, half the fans think I get too excited for the other team." I'm certain he used that exact phrase: too excited for the other team.

Anybody else remember that?

I think Ackerman does a good job, btw. There's only one Gene Peterson.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, that was at the start of the third quarter. This is how I have to watch games if I'm not listening to Craig on the radio.

[​IMG]

:(

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Ouch, I love Gene, of course, but there's too much Ackerman hate in this tread for my tastes.

Maybe I'm biased because I enjoyed him so much on Rocketscast and him losing both of his parents recently in that car accident is still fresh in my mind, but I think he does a great job when I listen as an alternative to the opposing team's feed on League Pass.

I don't mind that he gets excited when the other team scores. Just shows he has a love for the game as well as the Rockets. I'm not one of those guys that demands huge amounts of homerism from my team's announcers, so its cool with me.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

The young ones don't know anything, Gene Peterson and Jim Foley were truly amazing basketball announcers. They were some of the greatest EVER. I grew up listening to them on KTRH in the Beaumont area before the Rockets were carried on cable and evenafter when I could't watch the games. They did an amazing job on the radio of making me feel like I was there. That is what a radio team is supposed to do.:grin: Milo and the Wrangler did it too.:grin: I REALLY miss the old days!

11. GimmeDaRock

GimmeDaRock Contributing Member

Gene Peterson and Jim Foley were the best. Started following the Rockets when they moved here from San Diego.