1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gellispie: Out

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by pgabriel, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

I wish Calipari would hurry up. The more he waits the more I get the feeling he's going back to Memphis. :mad:

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wish he would hurry up too because I don't want my hopes up that he might stay at Memphis.

Seriously, though, he's leaving. I bet Calipari is pushing for some final concessions from UK because he knows they HAVE to hire him. He owns this negotiation.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I don't think we will hear when he's official until tomorrow.

Word on the street is the sticking point right now is the recruits past 2010.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

ESPN reporting Calipari to Kentucky is a done deal. 8-yr/$35M.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Damn, I think he will take UK back up to the top. But sad for Memphis though.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Congrats UK peeps y'all will be in at least the elite 8 within 2 years easy. Should be set for eternity too assuming Calipari learned his NBA lesson. The icing on the cake is if those Memphis commits go to Lexington.

7. Hayesfan

We had good talent this year, not elite talent but still Jodie and Patrick are very good.

Add Orton and a point guard, we would have been Sweet 16 material without Calipari's recruits. With his recruits... we could be talking Elite 8 next year!

I am wondering how many nuts are standing out in the rain at the Lexington airport.

I only did it when the team won the championship, but I can pretty much assure you there is going to be a crowd there tonight milling around to see him when he gets to Lexington.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

And making matters worse for Memphis, they won't be getting their first choice to replace Calipari. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031846

(WE LOVE YOU MIKE!!! :D)

Rumor has it Memphis was going to offer a deal to Anderson that would've come out to around $3m annually with incentives... he took quite a discount to stay in Columbia.

9. Hayesfan

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/catsfan/2009/03/its-official.html

LOL see I knew it.

I think it will be interesting to see who does land at Memphis. Whomever it is will have big shoes to fill. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to make it a former assistant coach... like the guy at UTEP... much like we had Tubby after Rick.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Elite next year, definitely possible. I thought Patterson was as good as gone?

11. Hayesfan

No his stock continually dropped over the year. The last news was that he planned to stay another year, but he never said for sure.

12. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

It's going to be great to see Calipari flop on a national stage. I'll always remember last season when he kept b****ing to the media that they were talking about Memphis' free throw woes too much, only for those woes to single-handedly cost them a championship.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Memphis is gone, opening the door for UH, the new Conference USA powerhouse. :D

14. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

If Gillipsie goes to Memphis, i see them staying where they are. The guy can recruit too.

15. Hayesfan

There is no way they flip jobs. I would be flabbergasted if that happens.

Though I will admit, I am shocked that Calipari agreed to leave Memphis, so who knows. ;)

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How much do you want to bet they had Calipari lined up before the let Gellispie go. Its like how UT had Brown lined up way before the let Mackovich go.

17. Hayesfan

From what I understand the timeline goes like this. Last Thursday afternoon "feelers" went out and contacted the top of the list... Donovan, Calipari as choices 1a and 1b

Donovan was first and they thought they had a possible deal lined up with him on Thursday night, but he ended up declining on Friday morning. Calipari was the next choice and when he lost on Thursday talks with him began in earnest on Friday.

At Friday's press conference they had already spoken to Coach Cal tentatively and were doing all the digging necessary before an interview. That took all the rest of Friday and Saturday.

UK wanted to interview with him on Monday, but he said he wanted it to be sooner than that. So they met on Sunday and hashed through the contract issues.

So yes they had talked to him when they fired BG, but he wasn't a slam dunk.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=16523 is where I got that information.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why is Donovan so stuck up Florida's ass? He gets 1 mega team and he is blinded.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Poor Arizona, 9 years out of 10 their head coaching search would have been 1st page news. UK has buried em.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Why would he leave Florida? Plenty of money, you live in Florida and you have already one two National Championships. I cannot think of any reason to leave unless he just doesn't like it there.