1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Geert Wilders: showing my film was victory for freedom of speech

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 9, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Geert Wilders: showing my film was victory for freedom of speech

Geert Wilders, the far-right Dutch politician, has used a visit to London to launch an attack on Islam.

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent
    Published: 8:00AM GMT 06 Mar 2010

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside Parliament as Mr Wilders, of the Dutch Freedom Party, criticised Muslim culture and attacked the prophet Mohammed.
    He held a press conference in which he warned that if Britain did not halt immigration from Islamic nations, the capital could be turned into “Londonistan” within 20 years.

Last year, when he attempted to travel to Britain to screen the film Fitna, which is highly critical of Islam, Mr Wilders was detained at Heathrow Airport and forced to return to Holland after three hours.
    However, the decision by Jacqui Smith, the then-home secretary, to ban him from the United Kingdom was overturned in the High Court.
    And after being invited again by Lord Pearson, the leader of the UK Independence Party, and Baroness Cox, a cross bench peer, the film was finally screened in the Lords to an audience of around 60 people, largely made up of researchers and secretaries.
    Mr Wilders claimed that the screening in the House of Lords of his anti-Islamic film was a victory for freedom of speech.
    Afterwards, Mr Wilders set out his view that immigration from Muslim nations to Europe should be halted on the grounds that Islam is a “totalitarian... fascist ideology”.
    He said: “Islamism and democracy are incompatible. The more Islamism we have, the more freedom we will lose and this is something worth fighting for.
    “I have a problem with Islam. I have a problem with this fascist ideology of Islam.”
    Mr Wilders, whose party fared well in recent local elections giving him hope that he could become prime minister in the forthcoming Dutch national poll, has received death threats and faces prosecution in Muslim countries including Jordan and Indonesia.
    He has had round the clock security protection for more than six years and disclosed that in Holland, people who shared his surname but were unrelated related to him had also been threatened by those opposed to his views.
    “People who do not use democratic means like I do - and whether you totally disagree with me or not, I am using democratic means - are using death threats, the threat of violence and the threat of fatwas. I am in a situation I would not wish on my worst enemy,” he said.
    Around 200 people took part in the protests, which blocked the main road outside Parliament for a number of hours, and there were several arrests.
    Mr Wilders said that during the Second World War, the BBC had been a beacon of hope for countries such as Holland which were occupied by the Nazis.
    He warned that in 20 to 30 years, it could be “Londonistan calling” rather than “London calling,” unless Britain withstood cultural attacks from Islam.
    “I believe they bring along a culture and ideology, a fascist ideology, that we should not let grow and threaten our security,” he said.
    Lord Pearson said that while he did not agree with all of Mr Wilder’s views, he would “defend to the death” his right to express them.
    He added: “To get these subjects discussed you have to sometimes be a little bit naughty, you have to sometimes say things like ‘ban the burka’.”
    Baroness Cox added: “I believe in freedom of speech. It is controversial, but we want to have these issues raised.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...y-film-was-victory-for-freedom-of-speech.html

-------------

Does anyone doubt that this guy will be murdered (and thereby to some extent be proven right) sooner or later?

mathloom: Are you hoping he lives in fear for the rest of his life?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

All your Muslim friends that you respect so much would be so proud of you!

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

So you're debating about whether this guy will be murdered? I'll play along....no he will not be murdered.

And LOL @ Londonistan.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

At this pace, AroundTheWorld might just have 5 or 6 anti-Muslim articles posted by the end of the day.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

If they can't get Rushdie, how the hell they gonna get this guy?

I say no to murder

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How is the article anti-Muslim? It does not take sides, just reports what the guy did whom you could call anti-Muslim.

Debate his views...

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, they did murder Theo van Gogh...they are also chasing Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

8. justtxyank

Please find some articles about Jews being the bane of mankind's existence, blacks being ignorant criminals who will kill their mother for a hit, hispanics being lazy alcoholic rapists, etc. so we can debate the views.

You can play the sanctimonious "I'm not a racist I have Muslim friends I respect I just want to debate the views" all you want, but clearly this is a falsehood. Geert Wilders is a radical racist demagogue who has based his views on his own ignorance. What is there to debate? Should we debate Hitler's views on the Jews? Wallace's views on blacks? Rousseau's views of women? Maybe you just don't have any black, hispanic or female friends that "you respect?"

1 person likes this.
  9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

and the person who did that is now in prison for life

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is his film (WARNING: graphic!)

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/216_1207467783"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/216_1207467783" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

I'm not saying I agree with the film or how it is presented, but it certainly is very debatable here...

11. justtxyank

Do you consider Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's views on Jews and gays "debatable here?"

Please start a new thread. "Ahmadinejad thinks Jews and gays are ruining the world." Mention a case of a Jew or a gay killing someone, say this might prove Ahmadinejad correct and then proceed to attack Jews and gays and say "I'm not attacking them, just stating facts! Scout's honor!"

12. Depressio

Sure, you didn't.

Yeah, this doesn't imply anything at all.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Apparently you have reading comprehension issues: The article did not take sides. You can argue that I did, but I did not even deny that.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

No no no no no.

Please not also on the Clutch BBS. I’m so sick and tired of Wilders. He is too much in the news in Holland already, please rest of the world do as the Dutch should have done ignore him. I see his face to much already.

He is a terrible person who is single handedly destroying Dutch politics and the Dutch reputation of being a tolerant nation. He doesn’t care about our country he only cares about attention.

In the summer there will be the Dutch election, then I will have to endure enough of wilders terrible rhetoric, stupid jokes, and intolerance.

I will post more when I have the time. But trust me Wilders is a terrible person who is using fear and stupidity of many Dutch in order to become popular.

15. justtxyank

Like I said, he's a demagogue. I usually hate this comparison, but his positions are similar to Hitler. Hitler argued that the Jews were to blame for the decline of Germany. Jews were to blame for the financial troubles that faced parts of Europe.

I hope the good people of Holland will do better than the people of Germany and end this man's political ambitions.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

arno, I was waiting for you to comment :). From your previous comments, I knew you would strongly disagree with him. I haven't seen interviews with him so I could form my own opinion on how he comes across as a person.

One thing seems for sure, though: He does seem to have a whole lot of people agreeing with him.

He also does not appear to be xenophobic or racist per se - isn't he married to a foreigner?

17. Depressio

My reading comprehension needs help? I said you have created anti-Muslim threads, not the author of the article. Then you agree that I am arguing that you took a side. Tolerance of other beliefs is tied to intelligence, however, so it's not terribly surprising you have trouble connecting dots.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Worst comparison ever. Wilders actually lived in Israel for a while. Whether one agrees with him on his views or not, he also fights to defend freedom of speech, whereas one of Hitler's first acts was to curb freedom of speech. I have yet to see Wilders say he wants to build concentration camps or anything like that. In fact, from what i read, he said that any Muslim who states that they will respect the laws are welcome to stay.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes Sir.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I will post a reply, and insightfull comments about him later tonight or tomorow.